Why is my Note 3 Neo overheating when charging and gaming?

Khye

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Note 3 Neo: Overheat when charging and gaming

First of all, my main problem is that my Note 3 Neo overheated when charging it (Using original charger). I'm not using it while charging, but I feel like it's hot and cannot even use it or grab it because it's hotter than when I'm gaming.
Also the adapter heated the same.

About gaming, the games I'm always play is Clash of clans, Sky Force. Whenever I play those games, the phone will get hot after 5 minutes and it's hottest on the screen.
According to Antutu reading, it's about 38°C and maybe more than that.
It's already hot when play games, imagine the charging which is hotter.

Is it normal for these situations???
Need solutions. Thank you very much.

Currently 4.4.2 Kitkat, Note 3 Neo.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 3 Neo: Overheat when charging and gaming

Welcome to Android Central! 38C actually isn't excessively hot (after all, it's just a tiny bit above body temperature). But you're saying it feels significantly hotter than that?

Do you have an SD card inserted? See what happens if you unmount the card (in Settings>Storage) and remove it. Maybe the card is corrupt or faulty, which can sometimes cause issues like this.

Khye

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

I'm already tried remove the SD but there is nothing change. I don't really know exactly what temperature it was. I just write according to Antutu reading, it's battery temperature maybe.
I tried CPU temperature app just now, don't know if accurate or not and it stated gaming has average of 55°C.
Anyway, what I feel is very hot. And hotter when charging.

Thanks reply.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Wow, 55C is pretty high. Have you tried a different charging cable/plug?

Khye

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. I'll try that later, is Note 3 Neo has such this overheating issue ? Let's put charging aside, the temperature is normal and sometimes not feeling any warm when using, but just gaming, I feel so hot on the upper screen and rear camera when touching, maybe the cover is plastic so it is not that hot. I'm not 100% believe the accuracy of temperature stated by antutu and cpu temp apps, I just feel with my palm that it's very unusual hot.
Is it my processor work more than usual or anything, is it only me that has this kind of issue?

Khye

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I just try with other same charger which is used to charge note 2. The temperature is nearly the same and will explain the changes below.
I found out that at first the phone will get heat. After the charging reach about 80%, the charger become cooler and stop heating, the charging slower. When 100% the phone become normal temperature.
I opened the battery graph and found the phone is in sort of speed charging when below 80% then become slower (heat cool down).

The heating issue difference in charging and gaming is that, gaming will only heat up the upper part and charging will heat up the whole phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Let's see if other Note 3 users chime in. Regardless of whether or not it's normal, that certainly doesn't sound pleasant. Perhaps the unit is defective. You might consider contacting Samsung support.

Khye

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

What am I concerned about is the replacement of new phone, will they replace a refurbished phone or change the spare part of the phone? I want a brand new one if found defective.
So, I want to make sure that my phone is 100% confirmed defective.
I don't really trusted the CPU temperature stating CPU temp is 55°C, the game get real hot that's true by touching using palm, but my finger don't really get hot when touching, and it cool down quite fast after that.
Additionally, my phone will never heat up at all beside gaming and charging.
All right, let's wait for others comments about overheating.
Btw, I'm using Note 3 NEO. N750. KitKat.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately, replacement phones are often refurbs. But in my experience, the one time I had to get a replacement phone, the refurb was flawless compared to my original.

Khye

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the info.
By the way, what's is the maximum safe normal temperature when playing the most enhance high graphic game in smartphone???

Khye

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

But I'm using apps and there are 2 types of temperature, one is Cpu temperature and another is the battery temperature. So which should I refer to? Battery won't so high (max 40°C) only CPU stated that high (55°C).
Also, the charger adapter is extremely hot and hotter than phone's heat that my hand can't touch it really. It's still charging my phone normally while it's very hot, and when it reach 80% full it will stop heat.
Is it normal???

EDITTED

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Both temps are important. You don't want either of them overheating.

The charging plug can get warm, but it shouldn't get dangerously hot. The plug itself might be defective as well.

Khye

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Ok thanks for helping, now here's my report.
I tried with others charger of Samsung (same model of charger, 2A), it shown no difference, the heat is really hot. But that charger that use to charge Note 2 has not that hot compare to charging note 3 neo. Is it the phone defect or note 3 neo itself will have a speed charging that cause very hot to the charger???

My sister that using nexus 5 also very hot when gaming she said. So I still wonder, is it normal for playing high end graphic will heat up the phone fast.
I believe in my own hand's feel only, not those apps that simply stating the random temperature. Using my hand, I don't feel the hot of the phone is untouchable, maybe I should take some more time to investigate whether the phone is really defect.

I understand your advice about sending it to service centre is a good choice, but I don't want to send it unless 100% confirmed defective, because the service centre staff not really professional l, it still depends on me.

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It's difficult to say for sure if the device or plugs are defective, because I'm just relying on your description. It is typical for devices to heat up when using a processor-intensive app (typically, games). My Nexus 5 usually heats up near the camera, which I would guess is where the main processor is; this differs from when it charges on my wireless charger, in which case I can feel the heat more evenly distributed over the back (corresponding to the battery).

My 2013 Nexus 7's plug also heats up sometimes, but it still charges normally. If it's not painful to touch, it probably still falls within normal operating temperature range.

Khye

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Maybe my description is not clear and accurate enough.
What I mean is that the heat on the phone is really hot, but not untouchable, just that cannot hold the charger for too long, it's just like holding a glass of hot tea, a real hot tea, not warm.
When charging, the heat is spread to the whole phone.
When gaming, the heat is just upper part, just right on the rear camera, camera is hottest because it's made of metal maybe. Fortunately the camera still functional.
Additionally, the upper phone already started to get warm when gaming within 1 minute (clash of clans).

I just wonder, if this originally note 3 neo will get hot when gaming, or just my phone. If claim a new phone, heating still exist, it will be wasting my time waiting for a same problem phone.

If this is a software problem, I will just wait for 4.4.4. If really is hardware problem, then I shall go to service centre.
Thanks.

Juleana 911

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
same as my note 3, after few months using, now always heating up to 60C or more in just 5 minutes playing games, highest reached >70C, now also while charging. have been trying any steps given.. nil.. giving up with this phone... btw measured with cleanmaster app

Anish Raju S

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
My note 3 neo is also getting overheated .. while using mobile network . in wifi its okey but when i switch over to mobile network its heating up .....
when i google about the issue and got an answer that kitkat 4.4.2 is not that much stable in note 3 neo device and y samsung is not releasing the update with patches
i wonder my 25k is gone for ever

ritesh_iipm

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I bought this phone after various research online on phones but my research gone vain phone was good till the update of some software after a month now the problem started I don't play games but yes using net over wifi more than 1 hour the phone is getting heat on the upper side of the phone I don't know why it is causing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude