"Ad hoc" network for hosting WiFi devices

Doug Shepherd

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a fairly specific need...I'd like to create a backup camera for my motorcycle. I don't care for any of the car-based devices, and I'd like to use my Note 3 as a monitor (since I've already got a handlebar mount for it). It seems to me that a straight-up IP cam should work, provided I can configure the Note 3 to host an ad hoc network for it. I don't need a data connection to the interwebs, so I'm reluctant to pay the supplier (AT&T) extra money each month just so I can create a hotspot that I don't need, and I'm really not interested in rooting the phone if I can avoid it.

Is there a (free, non-rooting) way to create an "ad hoc" network, with no data connection, just to connect to an IP cam? It doesn't seem like this should be impossible to do.

dhatter

May 12, 2013
Visit site
maybe this helps . With the app "es file explorer " using the net manager part , an add-hoc hotspot can be created without rooting .

Doug Shepherd

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Oh wow, thanks for the info. I've been using ES for years and never knew it could do that sort of thing. I'll try that when my hardware arrives. Thanks again!

Doug Shepherd

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Ah, bummer. I tried it on my lunch hour, and it takes me directly to the "your carrier doesn't allow hotspot functionality unless you pay them extra" screen. Oh well.