I just got a notice in my last update that skip lock app will not work with Lollipop...Google is once again taking away our choice to stay unlocked in a secure area like car or home...I wondered what any tasker users or any skiplock users were feeling about this. I don't know if we will get lollipop update but imagine we may...I just find it safer to not have to type in a password while in car etc.
    11-14-2014 01:05 PM
    I don't know what the skiplock devs told you but it's incorrect that Google is taking this ability away since they are actually natively supporting it. Lollipop includes Smart Lock which lets you unlock automatically with Bluetooth or NFC.
    11-14-2014 03:36 PM
    Thank you for this info. The info was in skip lock's latest update release. I won't have to worry about it until we get the update but I really like they convenience of the lock bypass...hopefully I won't have to worry about it as you say it should be built in to newer phone update.
    11-15-2014 10:53 AM
    I don't know what the skiplock devs told you but it's incorrect that Google is taking this ability away since they are actually natively supporting it. Lollipop includes Smart Lock which lets you unlock automatically with Bluetooth or NFC.
    Yeah, but not with WiFi, which is what 90% of people would want to use for this. So they are taking abilities away, and for no good reason at that.
    11-17-2014 07:05 PM
    11-17-2014 07:05 PM
    Yeah, but not with WiFi, which is what 90% of people would want to use for this. So they are taking abilities away, and for no good reason at that.
    Dude, seriously? You signed up here for the sole purpose of making a post complaining about Google baking into the OS a feature that you previously had to use a paid third party app to employ?

And if you're going to complain, learn what you're talking about. Learn why apps like skiplock aren't working instead of saying baseless things about what Google has taken away from you.

Also, if this really mattered to you, you would have no problem figuring out how to use either bluetooth, NFC, or face unlock for your purposes. They are all extremely easy solutions. Not to mention there are other ways you can get around this if you really insist on using WiFi to unlock.
    11-17-2014 09:28 PM
    Wow...that sounds a bit harsh... I know there are probably ways around this, but the app was worth it to me as I am not as tech savvy as some others may be. Paying for the app was like paying someone to to the work for me. I know the remark was not intended for me but I'm sure there are others who use it that would appreciate how to use the work around you suggested. Thanks in advance for any help.
    11-18-2014 10:47 AM
    Dude, seriously? You signed up here for the sole purpose of making a post complaining about Google baking into the OS a feature that you previously had to use a paid third party app to employ?

And if you're going to complain, learn what you're talking about. Learn why apps like skiplock aren't working instead of saying baseless things about what Google has taken away from you.

Also, if this really mattered to you, you would have no problem figuring out how to use either bluetooth, NFC, or face unlock for your purposes. They are all extremely easy solutions. Not to mention there are other ways you can get around this if you really insist on using WiFi to unlock.
    Perhaps you should take your own advice, and "learn what you're talking about" before attempting to belittle someone for their frustrations.

In previous versions of Android, including KitKat, you could ADD the feature (not natively in Android) of disabling your PIN when connected to your home Wi-Fi through the use of THIRD PARTY APPS (both paid and free).

Sure, it is physically possible to spoof your way past such a feature (and perhaps this is the reasoning behind Google's decision in Android 5.0 Lollipop to not offer Wi-Fi in their SmartLock feature). But it should ultimately be the user's choice if they want to risk themselves. Google could offer a notice, much like they currently do with other security features, advising of the risks of using Wi-Fi to disable your PIN.

That being said, both SkipLock and Tasker (with the Secure Settings plugin) are (as of yet) unable to do this feature now in Android 5.0. Logic dictates, then, that the code allowing this access to third party apps has been disabled, or at least rerouted, by Google.

And to say, "if this really mattered to you, you would have no problem figuring out how to use either bluetooth, NFC, or face unlock for your purposes" is completely irrelevant when you consider those options have nothing to do with using Wi-Fi to unlock your phone, a functions that has otherwise worked in the past.

"...there are other ways you can get around this if you really insist on using WiFi to unlock." Really? Please, do explain. That is after all the reason the this thread was created in the first place..... Or perhaps you are the one simply "saying baseless things"...
    11-18-2014 02:29 PM
    Well, I was just typing up a long detailed reply to help out lterry913, whom I have no problem with, but then another ignorant response got posted by someone who does not understand what they are talking about and just wants to attack me without educating themselves. I'm not going to help people who are purposely ignorant so I'm unsubscribing from this thread and ignoring it. You can figure it out for yourselves if you want the feature. It's not difficult.
    CTUCNY likes this.
    11-18-2014 02:52 PM
    I appreciate the fact you were going to help...I did read today that with lollipop, when we get it , google will be offering a location based unlock option and this may cover my issue. Thank you for considering typing up an answer and I did not mean to start a war of words. Maybe I should just worry about things after they happen, but once i get something set up that makes things more convenient I like to keep it.

Are any of the options above, like the nfc option doable on kit kat or do we have to wait for lollipop? if you don't mind answering :/
    11-18-2014 08:04 PM
    lterry913:

If you would like to have the SmartLock feature offered in the new Android Lollipop, this article might help: goo.gl/gckMqv

I have yet to try going through all the steps and use it. However, a brief review of the article states that it will offer NFC, WiFi, and Location-Based. While Android Lollipop was still being developed under the name "Android L", the Developer Preview had the option of Location-Based unlocking. It seems that in the final release of Lollipop, Google may have decided against this feature (at least on the Nexus 4....Not sure about the Galaxy Note 3). From the sounds of it, it may be a good solution to use for your Note 3, both before and after the Lollipop update, assuming SkipLock and the Android community don't figure out another workaround.

The article above seems to indicate proper functionality, and also includes a Youtube video detailing the installation steps: youtu.be/f9YAboG7Yis

For now, that seems to be most viable solution. In the sincere interest of helping you, as well as the Android community as a whole, I will continue to research this, and follow this thread, and when I find an easier option, I will be sure to post it here. It is frustrating for me to see some users who are seeking honest help (hence coming to a support forum) get berated by other users, and talked down to simply because they may not be as familiar with things as others, and have to ask a question. I don't claim to know everything there is on Android.....far from it. But when I learn how to solve a common problem, I try to help others with the solution I find. I will try following the above article, and see if it adds the WiFi and/or location options to my Nexus 4 (with Android 5.0 Lollipop).
    lterry913 likes this.
    11-18-2014 09:13 PM
    lterry913:

P.S.: If "jpr" really does have an easy solution, as he so claims, I'm sure he would have no problem whatsoever if you send him a private message. By his own words, he has no problem with you. Simply click on his user icon, and at the bottom, click on PM. Either way, I hope you find a solution that works for you!
    lterry913 likes this.
    11-18-2014 09:43 PM
    From Droid-Life.com:

"When Android 5.0 “Lollipop” went into a final preview build shortly after being announced by Google, we ran through a series of features to make sure you knew all about the awesomeness that was about to grace your phone or tablet. One of those features was Smart Lock, which is Google’s take on Trusted Devices, a feature that uses Bluetooth or NFC (or your face in Lollipop) to allow you to bypass secure lock screens when you are near, but securely lock the device when you need it most. We are happy to report today that Google has added a new and incredibly useful feature to Smart Lock, thanks to the latest Google Play Services 6.5 update that began rolling out yesterday. That’s right, Smart Lock just got better without a system update. The new feature adds “trusted places” to your list of options for keeping your phone unlocked. What is a “trusted place?” This could be your work or home or significant other’s apartment or the dog park. A trusted place is a location where you would like to be able to quickly unlock your phone or tablet without needing to enter the PIN, password or pattern that you have active. Of course, the beauty in using a trusted place is that once you leave a trusted location, your phone turns security back on."

Sounds like the issue has now been resolved before your device even got the Lollipop system upgrade!

droid-life.com/2014/11/18/android-5-0-feature-google-updates-smart-lock-on-lollipop-to-include-trusted-places/
    lterry913 likes this.
    11-22-2014 02:32 PM
    Yes but there are follow up articles that state it doesn't work well when at home or in buildings...we will have to see...just like me to worry about something before it happens I bookmarked the link you supplied in case I need it and thanks again.
    CTUCNY likes this.
    11-23-2014 11:06 AM