Why is my Note 3 draining when charging?

Ashley Durham

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Note 3 charging problems! HELP

Note 3 says charging through the outlet on wall and i am using the original Samsung 3.0 charger but it actually drains the battery even when I had "charging" over night. The phone says charging by the way, it is not cutting out from charging to not charging and I know this is not a charging port problem because I have fixed this problem on many phones. It charges fine through the same cord when plugged into USB on computer but yet the computer doesn't recognize the device at all. Would this be just a basic battery problem? I do not want to reset the device simply because it is an AT&T phone but I use on straight talk with SIM card and do not want to lose any updates that are on the phone unless I absolutely have to. Any thoughts???! HELP! This honestly makes NO SENSE to me. What can I do to fix this?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 3 charging problems! HELP

Basic troubleshooting is to first try out a different cable and/or a different charger (especially if you say the cable acts 'weird' on a PC USB Port). Also try the same charger/cable combo on a different device if possible.

Also, does your phone charge OK while powered off? If it does, it might be something else going on with the software (a VERY rogue app, perhaps?).

Ashley Durham

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

I have plugged the phone in many different chargers and the same thing happens. The 3.0 Cord works the best since it is meant for the phone and that cord only works for the Note 3 as I do not have any other devices that fit that end. I bought the phone used so I do not know what if anything happened to it. I only have a few apps downloaded, except the ones that came on the phone. I deleted everything the previous used had on the phone.

Ashley Durham

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

When I have the phone OFF with it plugged into wall all it does is not charge and vibrate every 3 seconds. What does that mean?

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Check settings/battery and see what the main drain is. That might clue you in to the problem.

Ashley Durham

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

When I go to settings/battery it says the screen(which I have on lowest setting) and then android system are the highest drain problem.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

If the charger/cable works without issues in another phone, and your phone doesn't charge while off, then it's most likely a problem with your phone. And since it's not charging while off, you can rule out software (99%, anyway). It's either the charging port, the charging circuit (both would need servicing and/or replacement) or a battery issue.

My next step, if possible, would be to either try your battery in another phone and/or try another battery in your phone.

Battery drain seems 'normal' at least from the description. Those are the two main 'culprits' usually.

Ashley Durham

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Okay thank you for the help. I guess I will start with a battery first. I have the Note 3 and my husband has the Note 2 so we cannot interchange anything since they are different. I will buy a new battery and see if that helps first since it is the easiest fix. Glad that it is probably not the software. We can repair parts ourselves and always have good luck.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Before buying a battery you might want to try to get one to test out at a carrier store (if you ask nicely they'll let you do it) or a service center. Heck, even Samsung Kiosks at Best Buys would let you test it out if thy're in the right mood.

Ashley Durham

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Yes I have a friend who has a Note 3 so ill borrow battery from him. I will update when I see if this helps! Thank you so much!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

there are several red flags here. He plugs his phone into his computer, the phone charges but the computer does not recognize phone? When phone is off and charging it vibrates every 3 seconds??
its almost acting like a liquid damaged device..

selwinfrogit

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

I started having a very similar issue. When the phone is on charge leave it for 10 mins or so then whilst it is still on charge go into the battery stats in settings and long press on the graph it gives a better view of what may be going on. You get 5 bars under the graph and the bottom one shows charging. It should be a solid bar of colour. If it is a broken line then the phone isn't getting a consistent charge. I found that it was the note 3 charging lead that was the problem. ( it seems to be a common fault if you read up on the net). I now.use a standard micro USB and it has solved the problem. Yes it charges slower but that's better for the battery and its always fully charged when I wake so not a problem.

I hope this helps.

Posted via the Android Central App with my note 3

Ashley Durham

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

I have tried regular USB cords and the Samsung cord. It does not matter what I use it always says it is charging on computer and it DOES charge. When I use any cord and plug into car or wall charger it says it is charging but IT DOES NOT. How can it charge through one thing and not the other?? Makes no sense. I went into the graph and there is no break in charging while it is charging on my computer.

Ryan Bouchard

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

I'm having the exact same issue phone plugged in while charging and lising battery life.I ordered a charging port hope it fixes it.

longstroke24

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Basic troubleshooting is to first try out a different cable and/or a different charger (especially if you say the cable acts 'weird' on a PC USB Port). Also try the same charger/cable combo on a different device if possible.

Also, does your phone charge OK while powered off? If it does, it might be something else going on with the software (a VERY rogue app, perhaps?).

longstroke24

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

see that's my problem my phone cannot charge properly when is on and I just bought this brand new if it dropped below 75% I will have to turn my phone off to charge it I'm not understanding this

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney