How do I stop my location mode from changing to high accuracy?

Jenni Rosko

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Location mode keeps changing to high accuracy

Samsung Galaxy note 3 on tmobile.. Just recently updated version of Android. Since upgrade location mode keeps changing to high accuracy when the phone is restarted. Not sure why this keeps happening.. Keep putting it back to power saving wifi but as soon as it turns off it comes back. Any ideas?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Location mode keeps changing to high accuracy

Samsung Galaxy note 3 on tmobile.. Just recently updated version of Android. Since upgrade location mode keeps changing to high accuracy when the phone is restarted. Not sure why this keeps happening.. Keep putting it back to power saving wifi but as soon as it turns off it comes back. Any ideas?

Open system settings - location. There is an option for location/gps, check to make sure you enable the desired level of gps. Although high accuracy uses more battery when in use, it provides the most accurate gps positioning if you are relying on mapping services. Let us know if you have any questions.

Jenni Rosko

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

Right, i can change it there, but my problem is that as soon as my phone turns off it goes back to high accuracy. I don't want to have to go in every time i turn my phone off to put it back to power saving.

This only started doing it once i updated my software so i think its a bug of some sorts.

Robbit73

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I did a factory reset and now I'm having the same problem.

Additionally, I no longer have the check boxes to prevent the location settings pop ups (agree/disagree) when turning location on.

Edit: Right after asking this I found a solution. I cleared all data for Google Play Services. The prompt now comes back, but not the check box to not ask again. That may have been removed with a Lollipop update. Either way, it no longer chooses High Accuracy on its own.

Last edited:

GFS587

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have this same problem with my S5. It's really ticking me off, because the data switch is turned off yet I am being charged for data packets that this service is using. I can't find a way to keep location service to use GPS only, and to stay that way.

Domestoboto92x

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

Right, i can change it there, but my problem is that as soon as my phone turns off it goes back to high accuracy. I don't want to have to go in every time i turn my phone off to put it back to power saving.

This only started doing it once i updated my software so i think its a bug of some sorts.

Yeah, it's probably a GOOGLE MANDATED kind of thing. I have five Androids running Lollipop (Note 3 global on 5.0, TMo LG G2 and LG G Pro 2 on 5.0.1, Nexus 4 and 7 on 5.1.1, and they do the EXACT SAME THING, set to power saving, disable location, every single one goes to high accuracy. There's nothing to do other than flash a Marshmallow ROM maybe...?

This Galaxy Note 3 with the AC App is On Fleek.

Viper9087

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Skynet is now active.
Targeting all users GPS locations.
Launching nuclear devices in...
Launch confirmed.
Impact in...
Connection lost...
Attempting to reconnect...
Attempt Failed...
Attempt Failed...
Attempt Failed...

plutodroid

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
ALL INFORMATION HERE IS PROVIDED AS IS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I'm on Android 6.0.1 The trouble started when I installed Uber and Lyft. I don't know which one screwed the pooch, but now when I turn on Location it immediately goes to high accuracy. Previously, the behavior was to challenge with a question: Improve location accuracy? And the options were Disagree and Agree.

After looking around, I noticed developers talking about an addAPI call in Google Play Services. So on my LG phone I went to Settings/Apps, clicked on the ellipses menu and selected Show system. Went to com.qualcomm.location.XT, clicked on Storage, and selected Clear cache, and Clear data.

Back to All apps, continued scrolling down to Google Play services, clicked on Storage, then Clear cache. Then, clicked on Manage space. From there, clicked on CLEAR ALL DATA. Note that this action might adversely affect your experience with other things - I don't know, I'm not a programmer or very well versed with Android OS. But I don't care - the auto assignment of High Accuracy to the Location service is supremely annoying.

Once these steps were completed, I waited for about 20 seconds, and went to Location. Turned it on, and voila, the Improve location accuracy? question popped. Needless to say (in my case) I chose DISAGREE

Hope this helps you too.
Cheers.

umarizal

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
ALL INFORMATION HERE IS PROVIDED AS IS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I'm on Android 6.0.1 The trouble started when I installed Uber and Lyft. I don't know which one screwed the pooch, but now when I turn on Location it immediately goes to high accuracy. Previously, the behavior was to challenge with a question: Improve location accuracy? And the options were Disagree and Agree.

After looking around, I noticed developers talking about an addAPI call in Google Play Services. So on my LG phone I went to Settings/Apps, clicked on the ellipses menu and selected Show system. Went to com.qualcomm.location.XT, clicked on Storage, and selected Clear cache, and Clear data.

Back to All apps, continued scrolling down to Google Play services, clicked on Storage, then Clear cache. Then, clicked on Manage space. From there, clicked on CLEAR ALL DATA. Note that this action might adversely affect your experience with other things - I don't know, I'm not a programmer or very well versed with Android OS. But I don't care - the auto assignment of High Accuracy to the Location service is supremely annoying.

Once these steps were completed, I waited for about 20 seconds, and went to Location. Turned it on, and voila, the Improve location accuracy? question popped. Needless to say (in my case) I chose DISAGREE

Hope this helps you too.
Cheers.

Thank you very much, you helped me a lot.

I have 3 Motorola Moto G 3 2015 with Android 6 and all had this problem, to select the high precision mode alone when we activate the location.

The problem is that I often did not want to charge for using the cellular network, but I needed to use GPS coordinates using offline maps, but I could not do that without using the cellular network.

Thank you very much, you helped me a lot. I am translating the step by step into Portuguese and I will share with my friends from Brazil (here: GPS no Motorola Moto G3 2015 | Comunidade do Hardware )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair