Can I use a Galaxy Note 3 as a router (not necessarily a hotspot) to stream Plex Media Server to my TV?

nsheffer

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Using a Galaxy Note 3 as a router (not necessarily a hotspot) to stream Plex Media Server to my TV

Hi everyone.
I have a question about using Plex while traveling in our RV.

I have a Galaxy note 3 that allows me to connect other devices to it as a hotspot.
Was wondering if there was a way to connect my Plex media server laptop to the phone as well as our Roku box (connected to the tv obviously) so they are on the same "network" so I can stream movies while traveling.

I really don't want the mess of taking another piece of equipment with us just to get the devices on the same network if my phone can do it just as easily.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Using a Galaxy Note 3 as a router (not necessarily a hotspot) to stream Plex Media Server to my

I know you can do this with a Chromecast and the Plex app on the Note 3. I think Plex has Roku support but don't quote me on that because I don't have a Roku so haven't been following that. If it doesn't work with the Roku, you can get a Chromecast pretty cheap - I keep seeing them on sale various places for $20-25.

nsheffer

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Using a Galaxy Note 3 as a router (not necessarily a hotspot) to stream Plex Media Server to my

Wouldn't streaming from my phone directly to the chromecast still require both devices being on the same network?

What i'm curious about is having my laptop (which has all my movies on an external hard drive) streaming to our tv in the RV.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Wouldn't streaming from my phone directly to the chromecast still require both devices being on the same network?

What i'm curious about is having my laptop (which has all my movies on an external hard drive) streaming to our tv in the RV.

Chromecast now has the ability to connect without being on the same network as long as you are in the same room and use a PIN. You'd want to test it first of course to make sure it works properly in your situation. But theoretically it should work. You can then use the Plex app on your phone, which has Chromecast support, to stream your movies from your plex server laptop to your TV.

Oh, well, I'm thinking more about this and I think maybe in this situation you wouldn't have any internet connection for the Chrome cast at all? So I can't honestly say if this will work or not. You can connect the Note 3 to the CC without it being on the same network but I'm not sure the CC will work without an internet connection.