Why is USB OTG causing a phone crash?

Gaba517

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Android lovers.Let me explain more accurately...the phone has no problem whatosever when using an OTG Cable, whenever I use a keyboard, an USB stick, a mouse, a controller.But I've tried something else.Since the summer is here I tried connecting an USB powered mini-fan and after connecting it, the phone crashes with the screen locking still and some very tiny artifacts on the top of the screen, and the fan still spins.Sometimes it shuts down entirely and I can start it like normal.I tried the same thing on my gf's Galaxy S4 and this didn't happen.I have a Note 3, bought it in November 2013, never changed anything, not even the battery.I'm suspecting the battery is not giving enough power(but I can't assume that since I could play a demanding game for hours with no problem) or the firmware simply crashes when I use the fan(since it works with other devices).Thanks for taking your time!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The fan might cause something like a kernel panic and the phone doesn't know what else to do other than reboot.

Gaba517

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It's the first time I've heard about such a thing...hell, I'm learning more from forums rather than my stupid college.And it sounds quite plausible.I'm pretty sure it's the kernel tho, thanks for the answer !

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's the first time I've heard about such a thing...hell, I'm learning more from forums rather than my stupid college.And it sounds quite plausible.I'm pretty sure it's the kernel tho, thanks for the answer !
If it is a kernel panic, there is little that can be done. Perhaps an external battery? At least that can serve 2 functions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22