How can I copy all my data but none of my apps (and none of my settings) from Note 3 to Note 3?

ship69

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello

How can I copy absolutely all my data (wherever it may be in the file system) but NOT my apps and NOT my settings, out of my old Galaxy Note 3, into a replacement Galaxy Note 3?

Many thanks

J

PS BACKGROUND: The main reason for the copying is that my replacement Galaxy Note 3 seems to have an excellent battery life, whereas my old Galaxy Note 3 is diabolical. Fwiw, my old Galaxy Note 3's battery generally dies about half way through the evening, no matter what I do. :mad:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Try swapping batteries first. A Note 3 battery is a few years past due to die.

If that still doesn't work, swap them back, then use Samsung Smart Switch to copy everything but the apps.

ship69

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Try swapping batteries first. A Note 3 battery is a few years past due to die.

If that still doesn't work, swap them back, then use Samsung Smart Switch to copy everything but the apps.

I have tried swapping in a new battery. But it made very little difference. I have a backup Galaxy Note 3 device and it's battery lasts about 2 or 3 times longer. So I am keen move my life to it.

Is there a down-side of using "Smart Switch" ?

I mean I don't want to copy of any settings that are destroying my battery life.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it was just settings, you could just reset them on the old phone.

Copying data without copying the apps that use them (except for apps that come with the phone, of course). means that you have data you can't use.

As for Smart Switch, I couldn't tell you - I didn't write it. (I've written programs like it, but not that one.) Some copy everything, some copy apps and the data for those apps, some copy only data for apps you already have installed.

But if you think it's a setting that's causing the problem, I'd run an app like Ampere on the old phone and see if I could find the setting that's causing the drain. It's easier than blindly moving things that may or may not work, and may or may not move the setting that's causing the problem.

ship69

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Now that I think about it, the data I wanted to keep is:
- Images
- SMS TextMessages
- WhatsApp messages

I use Outlook365/Exchange so emails, contacts, calendar will be hosted in any case.

Smart Switch seems to have done a reasonable job. I am having to reinstall most apps manually, which I can live with if it speeds up the phone.

Ampere looks promising - thanks :)

J