Hello

What is the best battery saving app that will turn off all the settings I don't need.
    My Galaxy Note 3's battery is hopeless - it often dies mid-afternoon!

e.g. It would be nice if it automatically turned more things back on when the phone is charging and/or I am at home.

I have not "rooted" my phone yet.

J
    11-21-2018 11:20 AM
    The battery is probably pretty well shot by now (it's been 5 years), but any you buy will have been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse for almost that long, so they won't be any better. And you couldn't expect more than a few hours of heavy use from a Note 3 even when it was new. (Idle time - with a strong phone signal - was great, I could go 3 days without charging. But with a weak signal, the battery is going to drain fast. That and the screen are probably the largest users of battery.) As for an app, Greenify, which requires rooting, will hibernate anything you're not using. But not Phone, which will be your biggest problem. (Hibernate Phone and you'll miss any incoming calls.)
    Kodak2 likes this.
    11-21-2018 11:47 AM
    Are you sure that a battery will deteriorate if it isn't even used?

Whut - Is there genuinely no way to obtain a replacement battery that actually delivers 3500mAh ??!

[Fwiw, when I just charged up my Note 3 from "1%" charge it only received just under 2400mAh... which is a long way short of 3500mAh!]

I am totally sick of how useless this phone is at battery life. And what on earth is the point of having a replaceable battery if all replacement batteries are going to be equaly shot?!

I dont really want the hassle of "rooting" my phone, as I presume I will no longer get support if I do so.
    11-21-2018 01:40 PM
    Are you sure that a battery will deteriorate if it isn't even used?
    All batteries will deteriorate over time, just not as fast if not in use. With Li-ion batteries, they also self discharge. If one has been sitting on the shelf for several years and allowed to discharge completely, that's when the most damage happens. This is why it's recommended to not let them drain below 40% (or charge above 80% for similar reasons), but no manufacturer is going to take the time to do that.

Removable batteries are great. The problem you'll run in to with a phone that old is those batteries are no longer produced. If you bought a spare or two when they were fresh, and properly stored and maintained the charge level, they may be fine today.
    11-21-2018 02:20 PM
    I don't think you realise that the software we use nowadays wasn't really designed to be use on older phone and it very resource hungry. It's designed in mind for phones with bigger batteries and more ram (and probably to force you to buy a new phone), you running an older phone on it is killing your phones performance, as in your phone won't run as smoothly as it once did and the battery will drain quicker no matter what you do.
    11-21-2018 02:30 PM
    Call me a dinosaur, but I deeply resent this level of "build-in redundancy". My phone is only 4 years old and it cost me GBP650.

As well as damaging my wallet, it's a flagrant waste of the world's precious resources by Samsung.

I just want to use the damned thing. I just want to do the same things that it could do on day one. I can tolerate it running a bit slow and right now, all I need is decent battery life.
    11-22-2018 04:37 AM
    Sorry to say this ship69 but technology has moved on in the 4 years since you purchased your note 3. I assume your phone hasn't had a security update for some time, which is always a concern.
    It's time to upgrade if you want a phone with good battery life and capable of running modern apps.
    11-22-2018 05:38 AM
    Sorry to say this ship69 but technology has moved on in the 4 years since you purchased your note 3. I assume your phone hasn't had a security update for some time, which is always a concern.
    It's time to upgrade if you want a phone with good battery life and capable of running modern apps.
    I am running Android 5.0, "Android Security Patch level 2015-11-01".

Crumbs, yes that does sound old.

My phone is slow and unresponsive, but apart from battery life it does me fine. Either way I do not want to shell-out another GBP 500+ for a new phone. Nor do I want that sum to be buried within my monthly mobile phone bills - that doesn't help!

Either way I have just thrown caution to the wind and I have bought a battery form All Batteries for GBP 18.52.

At least having NOT bought an apple iPhone I am free to replace my battery. And see my own data. And add a memory card.

I'll let you know how I get on.

J
    Mobile phone battery Galaxy Note 3 3.8V 3200mAh - GML90491 | Allbatteries.co.uk
    11-27-2018 01:51 PM