02-22-2017 07:47 AM
928 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Following this thread in hopes of finding a temp glass protector I could "live with," until something better comes along... Hopefully in the not so distant future
    10-22-2014 12:19 PM
    Following this thread in hopes of finding a temp glass protector I could "live with," until something better comes along... Hopefully in the not so distant future
    I tried the Spigen, it was quite good. I wouldn't even have bothered searching for another had I not broken it.
    10-22-2014 12:52 PM
    So my Note 2 screen protector had a 9H hardness or so it said. It was great. I built a plastic adapter to hold a 10X loupe but I had to take the case off and attach the loupe adapter directly to the phone. I was looking at some sand with tiny gold nuggets shooting pictures with the Note 2 through the loupe and spilled a small bit of the sand on my lab bench. Subsequently I removed the loupe and had set the phone face down on the lab bench. At some point I bumped the phone and it turned 1/4 turn on the bench and I heard a scratching sound as it rotated. Some of the sand was under the phone and had scratched a significant 1/2" groove in the screen protector. The culprit was a tiny quartz crystal in the sand. Hardness on the quartz is known to be 7 on the Mohs scale, tempered glass is typically about a 7 on the Mohs scale also. Obviously the glass was scratched by the quartz and diamonds are used to cut diamonds so this proves that. Supposedly Gorilla Glass made by Corning has a hardness of 9 on the Mohs scale so if you want something less scratch resistant make darn sure it is Gorilla Glass®. GG replaces the typical Sodium in the glass surface with atoms of Potassium making it stronger or so Corning says. I have not tested this theory. Yet...
    That is an amazing story.
    10-22-2014 12:56 PM
    I tried the Spigen, it was quite good. I wouldn't even have bothered searching for another had I not broken it.
    You had the Spigen that's no longer available correct?
    10-22-2014 12:58 PM
    You had the Spigen that's no longer available correct?
    That's a good point. I ordered about 10 days back, and it arrived yesterday. I'm not sure which version it supposedly is, but the timing would suggest so
    10-22-2014 01:13 PM
    I ordered this one from eBay. While I agree it probably does not fit the edges properly (it claims to), it was only $6. I don't have huge hopes but we shall see!

From my smokin' hot Note 4
    10-22-2014 02:46 PM
    That's a good point. I ordered about 10 days back, and it arrived yesterday. I'm not sure which version it supposedly is, but the timing would suggest so
    Did yours came with a microfiber cloth? Mine didn't
    10-22-2014 02:56 PM
    Well guess what everyone iloome seems to have their act together. I just got this from them and they will be shipping it out by the end of this month
    Attached Thumbnails Best Galaxy Note 4 Tempered Glass Screen Protector-1414006312609.jpg  
    10-22-2014 03:32 PM
    Forgot to add this part

At this time, please let us know of your selection out of*following two (2) options*by replying to this email:

(A)*I'd like to*receive ScreenMate FLEX for Samsung Galaxy Note 4*for $14.99 (20% off current price)! I understand that I will receive $10 refund from this open order, and*my order will be*shipped on/before*October 29th, 2014*(Wednesday).

(B)*Please*cancel my current order*of tempered glass and not receive ScreenMate FLEX.
    10-22-2014 03:34 PM
    bought 3 of em and none of them did, not that it really matters...
    10-22-2014 03:46 PM
    The iloome Flex is probably a pretty good solution at this point. We won't be able to see what the Corning guys have some up with till I think mid-December. Plus this gives iloome more time to work the issues. But I like iloome...they are a good company, pretty clever people always working the issues.
    10-22-2014 03:49 PM
    Swab, if that's what you mean. To clean the screen.
    10-22-2014 04:08 PM
    bought 3 of em and none of them did, not that it really matters...
    ok good, got 4 of em and none of them had one
    10-22-2014 04:16 PM
    So the glass that covers bar code scanners in the stores is made out of man made sapphire, or better known as corundum.
    10-22-2014 04:25 PM
    I found out that the Note 4 has Gorilla Glass 3, but I can't find anything definitive that lists what the hardness rating is of that glass. I've sent Corning an email asking them what the hardness rating is, but haven't heard yet. I'll post the results once I know it.
    Times like this I wished I worked for Ball Aerospace, not far from where I live now. I would go and put my bunny suit on, head to the lab and make me a curves sapphire screen protector, during my lunch break of course.

Until that day I will simply have to work Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
    10-22-2014 05:18 PM
    Thanks! I'll check it out
    10-22-2014 07:01 PM
    Try this

Bimmerz likes this.
    10-23-2014 02:52 AM
    Since we're obsessing on little things about tempered glass protectors just now, can I raise an issue that's been discussed before among this group of obvious enthusiasts for tempered glass? The one thing that always concerned me was when the tempered glass shatters, do shards of glass wind up cutting the underlying actual screen? In previous threads, it's been suggested "no," and they're designed not to shatter that way.

I suppose I've been convinced by the PR, but any actual experiences? I will say the one I shattered accidentally while bending it the other day shattered, stayed together, however, and had 0 effect on the actual phone screen. So, that's good news. But the concept seems counterintuitive.
    10-23-2014 05:52 AM
    Maybe it's the top layer that has the hardness of 9, but elsewhere like edges of breaks are not so hard as to scratch the screen?
    10-23-2014 06:40 AM
    Since we're obsessing on little things about tempered glass protectors just now, can I raise an issue that's been discussed before among this group of obvious enthusiasts for tempered glass? The one thing that always concerned me was when the tempered glass shatters, do shards of glass wind up cutting the underlying actual screen? In previous threads, it's been suggested "no," and they're designed not to shatter that way.

I suppose I've been convinced by the PR, but any actual experiences? I will say the one I shattered accidentally while bending it the other day shattered, stayed together, however, and had 0 effect on the actual phone screen. So, that's good news. But the concept seems counterintuitive.
    The Spigen on my wife's S5 cracked and the screen underneath was perfect! It did it's job.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4 using Tapatalk
    monsieurms likes this.
    10-23-2014 07:28 AM
    Wondering how much of the total N4 people using LiguidGlass have covered with the material. The LiquidGlass PR that they send out when you order suggests covering the entire N4 or any other mobile device you purchase it for while avoiding ports and the like. I am sensing most people using it are "case" people and intend having a case around the rest of the phone anyway. So are most just using it as a means to protect the screen ala' the front surface or have folks been covering the whole N4 with it?
    Dankees likes this.
    10-23-2014 09:19 AM
    I tried various combos with my s2 armoured/waterproof case/tempered glass but in the end had a samsung extended battery back and a plastic screen protector. They did the job fine against drops, keys and even a rock inadvertently placed in my pocket!!!!

However just because of the huge size of the note 4's screen I will be getting a tempered glass protector, and an armoured case, I think all that glass is going to take a hit in my daily use, no matter what I do to stop that happening, I see a lot of people walking around with naked phones and shattered screens.......
    monsieurms likes this.
    10-23-2014 10:04 AM
    I ordered the Spigen glass screen protector over a month ago from Amazon. I finally got a notice it is ready to ship. Is this going to be the one that doesn't fit correctly? I can't find the product on Amazon or on Spigen's site. The description does say "Rounded Edge with Chip Res." Any news if they are reworking their glass or maybe already have? I hate to cancel the order because it is tied to my 2 cases I ordered from Spigen also.
    10-23-2014 11:01 AM
    I tried the YooTech panel from Amazon. At $6, it seemed like a steal. It fit pretty well, and covered most of the screen, but the outer 3mm of every side doesn't adhere due to the Note's screen curvature.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-23-2014 11:05 AM
    I tried the YooTech panel from Amazon. At $6, it seemed like a steal. It fit pretty well, and covered most of the screen, but the outer 3mm of every side doesn't adhere due to the Note's screen curvature.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Does it have a halo?
    10-23-2014 11:36 AM
928 ... 89101112 ...