02-22-2017 07:47 AM
928 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Since we're obsessing on little things about tempered glass protectors just now, can I raise an issue that's been discussed before among this group of obvious enthusiasts for tempered glass? The one thing that always concerned me was when the tempered glass shatters, do shards of glass wind up cutting the underlying actual screen? In previous threads, it's been suggested "no," and they're designed not to shatter that way.

I suppose I've been convinced by the PR, but any actual experiences? I will say the one I shattered accidentally while bending it the other day shattered, stayed together, however, and had 0 effect on the actual phone screen. So, that's good news. But the concept seems counterintuitive.
    I use memi ghost glass and one day with my note 2 I dropped it face down on concrete. Looked like the screen was shattered but when I peeled off the temperd glass the screen was intact. The temperd glass is made with a layer in the middle that keeps it all together,, no pieces go anywhere, no Sharpe pieces sticking out anywhere.

GALAXY NOTE 4, GO BIG OR GO HOME
    Yk Chin and monsieurms like this.
    10-23-2014 06:21 PM
    I use memi ghost glass and one day with my note 2 I dropped it face down on concrete. Looked like the screen was shattered but when I peeled off the temperd glass the screen was intact. The temperd glass is made with a layer in the middle that keeps it all together,, no pieces go anywhere, no Sharpe pieces sticking out anywhere.

Good story---both in validating the screen protector and why it's a good idea to have one.
    Yk Chin and zmann like this.
    10-23-2014 06:34 PM
    Good story---both in validating the screen protector and why it's a good idea to have one.
    Sorry,, it's mime, not memi lol, and thank you

10-23-2014 06:40 PM
    A friend of mine dropped his S5 and it wound up landing face down in gravel. The tempered glass protector broke badly. When removed, not a scratch on the glass. Replaced the screen protector and good as new!
    monsieurms and butterfly210 like this.
    10-23-2014 10:20 PM
    According to a poster on the xda forums the only two tempered glass protectors that don't leave a halo are the no longer available Spigen and the Supersheildz. Has anybody tried the Supersheildz?
    10-23-2014 10:32 PM
    Does it have a halo?
    but the outer 3mm of every side doesn't adhere due to the Note's screen curvature.
    PookiePrancer likes this.
    10-23-2014 10:32 PM
    I hope we have a nice tempered glass one soon! I had the spigen until I tried to readjust to lessen the halo and ended up breaking it. I guess I'll order some supersheilds until a good glass one is released.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-24-2014 12:19 AM
    I was going to return it, but I decided to try installing the Spigen tempered glass protector that I've had sitting around for about 3 weeks now. I got my N4 yesterday, and put the screen protector on last night. It went on perfectly the first time, and I have no issues with it. No, it doesn't cover the entire front glass, but it does exactly cover the viewing screen. I don't notice anything objectionable (halo?). I can say that I'm happy with it.
    monsieurms and Beltelmel like this.
    10-24-2014 07:41 AM
    I am going to try this one too...
    10-24-2014 01:29 PM
    Wish I saw this thread before I dropped $40 on the Zagg glass. What a waste of money and i don't recommend to anyone. Ordered the regular samsung protectors from ac for now. Maybe ill try again with glass in a month or two

@smileycon that looks good but just saw the shipping time on amazon; 17-28 days lol
    10-24-2014 01:40 PM
    Just bought the zagg tempered glass from best buy. I'm very dissatisfied with the halo effect, I'm getting ready to return it. Had anyone else had this same problem and returned it even after it was placed on the phone, did they give you any hassles?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-24-2014 01:41 PM
    I see this recent review on the screen cover discussed above:

Oct 21, 2014 2-Stars given by reviewer.
    This review is from: MobilePioneer Samsung Galaxy Note 4 0.3mm Ultra Thin 9H Hardness 2.5D Round Edge Tempered Glass LCD HD Premium Screen Protector - Anti-Scratch/ Shatterproof/ Anti-Fingerprint/ Water & Oil Resistant (Samsung Galaxy Note 4) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I purchased the Galaxy Note 4 variant of the screen protector. Let's start with the positive. The glass is very nice and has a slight bit of flex to it. It's perfectly flat and extremely smooth. I previously owned a glass screen protector from Spigen for the original Galaxy Note. This feels every bit as hard but is MUCH thinner.

On to the negative. I understand that the Note 4 has curved edges and that a glass protector would need to be undersized to accommodate, however, the product I received was the full size of the screen and as such, all the edges pop up. There is a slight air gap all around and dust is starting to collect underneath. Eventually, I think this dust accumulation will either scratch the screen or, best case scenario, just cause the protector to no longer adhere.

If the product I received had accommodated to the phone's curved edges, this would have been a 5 star product.
    10-24-2014 02:05 PM
    Edit: Double posted. My computer did it!
    10-24-2014 02:05 PM
    Has anyone tried the Supersheildz tempered glass protector?
    10-24-2014 02:29 PM
    Go back to page 9 of this thread. Chuck Young has pictures of the Supershieldz protector on his phone- including 70x views under a microscope.
    mty msi likes this.
    10-24-2014 02:34 PM
    I looked at those pictures when he posted them but forgot it was the Supersheildz brand and I was trying to avoid going through this thread from the beginning. I'm not seeing any halo effect but Chuck said there was a slight one that may go away overnight. Perhaps he'll comment how it looks now.
    10-24-2014 02:42 PM
    It looks good!

Tempered Glass Screen Protectors - Post #254 - XDA Forums
    10-24-2014 02:44 PM
    ^^^^ Got a link to where I can get these from in the USA
    10-24-2014 09:34 PM
    10-24-2014 10:25 PM
    Took the zagg back to best buy with it on the note and showed them . They refunded the zagg and the install fee no problem.
    10-24-2014 10:35 PM
    My Supershieldz should be here Tuesday, I ordered mine through Amazon...

[amazon.com/gp/product/B00N458IXO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=androidcentral00-20&m1k=vb_ac]Amazon.com: Supershieldz- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Premium [Tempered Glass] Screen Protector Anti-Bubble Anti-Scratch & Anti-Fingerprint (0.3mm) Thin Lightweight Rounded Edge -Crystal Clear [1 Pack]- Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories
    ORDERED!!!!!
    10-24-2014 11:11 PM
    Can someone post a pic of halo affect...?? Never seen or had 1 with any of my Samsung devices
    10-24-2014 11:16 PM
    Can someone post a pic of halo affect...?? Never seen or had 1 with any of my Samsung devices
    Smack my head. A few things here. Go back a few pages and read please. Yeah, that would answer all your questions thoroughly
    10-24-2014 11:29 PM
    ^^^^ Got a link to where I can get these from in the USA
    I bought one on ebay for $6-7. haven't opened it yet, but it seemed like the way to go for the price.
    10-24-2014 11:34 PM
    So I kind of messed up a screen protector installation trying to get a speck of dust out. Folded the adhesive on a corner, pulled it out. After that had a gap-halo effect-on the corner. I had some LOCA glue and decided to try it on the corner. It worked great, the corner is by far the best part of my screen. You could easily eliminate all the halo on any screen protector with it.
    10-24-2014 11:46 PM
928 ... 910111213 ...