07-21-2015 04:36 PM
983 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    I'm liking the Spigen Neo-Hybrid but a few points that could use a slight improvement IMO.

Power button is SUPER sensitive with the case on. Any slack in the button is gone. Barely have to brush it and the powerbutton will push.
    Wish the plastic bumper had a bit of texture so it had better grib. Its not bad, but could be improved.

It did do a great job today when I spilled some diet coke on my desk and a bit splashed on to my new Note 4 (Heart attack time). I quickly wiped off the screen but was worried because it had hit the right side edge of the screen where the case is. I pulled off the bumper and formed tpu case.....and not a single drop made it past the edge into the case. I was very happy about that.

My computer keyboard however took a shower in coke. Luckily its a cheapy work one and it continued to work fine.

I might end up getting another case some time, but over all satisfied with this case.
    butterfly210 likes this.
    10-21-2014 09:54 PM
    Now I'm sad because I expect the Neo Hybrid on Thursday. Those types of cases look good, but maybe I should look for another one.

Note 2 via Android Central App
    10-21-2014 09:57 PM
    With the cases it's trial and error... We can compare an review till the cows come home... U have to just make the leap buy the ones u like an hope for the best... I get most of my cases from eBay and Amazon... I had the s3 s4 s5 and now the note 4...overall I think I racked up over 100 cases messing with these fones!! I m a female so my taste tends to vary.. I change cases once a week to match my personality or mood!
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
    10-21-2014 10:21 PM
    I received an email today from UAG. The cases have arrived and will be sent out on the 27th.
    10-21-2014 11:06 PM
    I received an email today from UAG. The cases have arrived and will be sent out on the 27th.
    Those cases look rugged... Takes a lick and keep on ticking...
    10-21-2014 11:12 PM
    Wow, after reviewing 500+ posts, I've seen a lot of good suggestions -- enough to make a comparison spreadsheet that lists all of the contenders.

Attachment 142459

I haven't selected a winner, yet. I currently have a Body Glove DropSuit on my S3 as well as my previous LG Optimus S. The manufacturer claims "antimicrobial protection" which is a selling point to me (if it actually does anything). There's a DropSuit for the Note 3, but only a Satin Case available for the Note 4 at this time.

That said, while I do prefer the appearance of the slim cases, a Note 4 is EXPENSIVE to replace and so I am going towards something rugged that can withstand drops. I've never dropped my S3, but the Note 4 is larger and heavier, so I don't want to take that risk. Leaning towards the UAG and Ballistic at this time. For now, I have a basic black $2.99 TPU case from eForcity on eBay.

Update: Body Glove Mobile responded to my inquiry and said that the only cases for the Note 4 currently in development are the Satin (as stated above) and the Intermix.
    Great idea. But I couldn't. Read the details on your spreadsheet at least not on my Note 4. . The words were all blurred

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk
    10-21-2014 11:17 PM
    Those cases look rugged... Takes a lick and keep on ticking...
    That's why I went for it, I don't mind the bulk, I just don't want to replace a phone every few months. I read the Mil-spec and it has to be dropped 26 different ways (waist high) and still operate.
    monsieurms likes this.
    10-21-2014 11:23 PM
    Now I'm sad because I expect the Neo Hybrid on Thursday. Those types of cases look good, but maybe I should look for another one.

Not to discourage you but I had the neo hydrogen on my Note 3 and really didn't like it. The plastic bumper piece was too slippery and didn't feel very sturdy, especially if you plan to take the case off and on alot. One time I almost broke the plastic bumper piece taking it off!

Again that's just my personal experience. Why I went with the tough armor and it's perfect for me. Alot of protection and not bulky at all. Keeps the nice slim form of note 4 too

10-21-2014 11:33 PM
    With the cases it's trial and error... We can compare an review till the cows come home... U have to just make the leap buy the ones u like an hope for the best... I get most of my cases from eBay and Amazon... I had the s3 s4 s5 and now the note 4...overall I think I racked up over 100 cases messing with these fones!! I m a female so my taste tends to vary.. I change cases once a week to match my personality or mood!
    Now that's serious!! Boss
    10-21-2014 11:34 PM
    Will get it the same day I get my Note 4 (Verizon) .

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Note 4 What case you going for?-screenshot_2014-10-21-20-33-53.jpg  
    10-21-2014 11:34 PM
    Not to discourage you but I had the neo hydrogen on my Note 3 and really didn't like it. The plastic bumper piece was too slippery and didn't feel very sturdy, especially if you plan to take the case off and on alot. One time I almost broke the plastic bumper piece taking it off!

Again that's just my personal experience. Why I went with the tough armor and it's perfect for me. Alot of protection and not bulky at all. Keeps the nice slim form of note 4 too

Tough Armor is supposedly very slippery. That's not good. I need grip.

10-21-2014 11:36 PM
    I really wanted to get a slim case without adding much bulk but after much review I have changed my mind and might get two cases, one that adds little bulk and one that offers good protection. Looking at the uag, maverick case. I like it
    10-21-2014 11:40 PM

mchi5 likes this.
    10-21-2014 11:46 PM
    Will get it the same day I get my Note 4 (Verizon) .

Good choice. What I got in gunmetal. LOVE LOVE the case

10-21-2014 11:56 PM

Not sure why everyone is saying this. Have they held it in their hands.

I found the neo hybrid slippery on my Note 3. Especially around the corners where the plastic is.

10-21-2014 11:58 PM
    Not sure why everyone is saying this. Have they held it in their hands.

I found the neo hybrid slippery on my Note 3. Especially around the corners where the plastic is.

I'm only going by reviews I'm reading.

10-22-2014 12:10 AM
    I'm only going by reviews I'm reading.

That's cool. I have to admit it's a more slippery than a TPU type outer case, like the otterbox commuter.

10-22-2014 12:29 AM
    Only reason I'm not getting the Otter Box Commuter for the Note 4 is no kickstand. Although, I've never had a Spigen case before so we shall see. I can say that I found the Otterbox Commuter on my Note 3 to be slippery, more often than not.

10-22-2014 12:50 AM
    Well I corrected my earlier "error". Not saying buying a Neo H is an error. It is just that I had intended to get a Tough Armor and just did not notice when I saw color slate that I was ordering a slate Neo H. Hate the way Amazon searches work. No matter how specific your search query they bring up every Tom, **** and Larry thing that is even close. But I am adamant that I want that slate color. So I will use my Neo H till the TA arrives in November.

I just can not bring myself to go back to Otterbox. The Commuter got some pretty bad reviews for the N3 version for not retaining its shape and fit to the N3 over time. I saw a Defender in the Best Buy on an N3. In all sincerity, to me it makes the thing look like one of my kid's Leaps......just a big, hefty, preschooler's toy. I can't take that.....especially considering the sleek appearance of the N4.
    10-22-2014 01:00 AM

The back is sort of slick. As noted above, it isn't rubber. But the thing about the TA that balances that is that it has enough bulk, edges, curves, so there's always something to grab onto. It feels solid and substantial in your hand. The actual naked phone, by contrast, is so thin (and perhaps as slick or slicker) that it never felt so easy--or safe--to pick it up. I'm not having any problem with the TA seeming slippery. As a big bonus, it looks about 10x more stylish than the clunky Otterbox commuter I used to have on my S4. And seems to perform its protection function better, being far more sturdy and solid.

Other than adding some weight/bulk, it is all but perfect (let's ignore that flimsy kickstand!) and that's just relative. In the context of its heavy duty category, it isn't so bulky. It is a bit heavy and substantial. If you're into protection, a certain amount of weight and bulk do come with the territory. If someone prefers light and slim, trading off protection, so be it. Overall, this is a really excellent and high quality case at a super price--especially if you start looking at what Otterbox is charging.

Only reason I'm not getting the Otter Box Commuter for the Note 4 is no kickstand. Although, I've never had a Spigen case before so we shall see. I can say that I found the Otterbox Commuter on my Note 3 to be slippery, more often than not.

Well, if this Spigen case has a flaw--it's that flimsy kickstand. It doesn't fill you with confidence. That is a feature that's pretty much irrelevant to me. But if that's really important to you, that is one caveat. The case in fact comes with instructions of what to do if the kickstand falls off (pull the inner parts of the case apart evidently, which will be a lot harder to get on and off than when you're just dealing with the easy, snap-on pre-assembled). I'm sure it's not that complicated. I'm also sure I don't really care to start repairing the kickstand. If I were to use this a couple of times a month, I wouldn't expect problems. If it is a regular feature for me that I'm using every day, I think I might wind up having some issues with it.
    mchi5 likes this.
    10-22-2014 05:59 AM
    According to Spigen, the "flimsy kickstand" is a feature. They say that most cases with kickstands are made so that if the kickstand breaks, you need to replace the entire case. In Spigen's case, if you break the kickstand only the kickstand needs to be replaced.
    mchi5 likes this.
    10-22-2014 09:16 AM
    I really wanted to go for the Tech21 Impact Mesh Smokey, but the only place to buy it right now is from Tech21 for $39 plus $15 shipping to US. So I bought a Ballistic Tough Jacket off Ebay for $30. It should arrive same day as my phone. I have one for my S3 and feel it is a little bulky (much less so than otterbox) but offers excellent protection (I have dropped it on concrete from as high as 6 feet and everything works, no scratches). Even if I get the Tech21 later when it is less expensive, it will be good to have the Ballistic for more extreme usage. I've never used a screen protector and keep my phone in the same pocket as my keys. I wiped my S3 down yesterday and took a really good look at the screen, after two and a half years, still no scratches.
    10-22-2014 09:30 AM
    A common theme that I've read on forums and reviews is that the slim cases have 3 problems: (1) some are slippery, (2) they are hard to remove, and (3) removing them may scratch the metal on the phone.

For (2) and (3), I wonder if this is user error or whether a cautious, patient person is likley to have difficulty removing the case as well as scratch the metal.

I hope that there is a slim case out there that does not cause these problems.
    10-22-2014 10:33 AM
    According to Spigen, the "flimsy kickstand" is a feature. They say that most cases with kickstands are made so that if the kickstand breaks, you need to replace the entire case. In Spigen's case, if you break the kickstand only the kickstand needs to be replaced.
    Oh, joy. Rip the layers of the case apart, pull out the old kickstand, put in the new one.

Of course, you could still make it with that replaceable concept and not be quite as ... flimsy and as easy to break in the first place. I am glad this is not an important feature for me in general because otherwise I really love this case.
    10-22-2014 11:06 AM
    I think I would like the Ballistic cases if I could ever figure out what the company is saying about their products. I have never seen so much confusing marketing material in my life...."holsters are available" for the Maxx. Well available means you can buy it as a separate item, not something you should expect in the package. Is it in there or not. Everything but their own marketing information says it is in there.

The TJ itself claims to be multilayer. It if is multilayer, what are the layers? I am not sure I want to protect my new N4 with a product from a company with such a heavy US presence that does not appear to have a working knowledge of the English language.
    10-22-2014 11:40 AM
983 ... 2122232425 ...