07-21-2015 03:36 PM
983 ... 3233343536 ...
tools
    I just received a Spigen Neo-Hybrid and my note 4 feels HUGE now! Is the slim armor thinner than the Neo-Hybrid? I love the design but its just too bulky. Anyone have any good suggestions for a case that doesn't add so much bulk?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-31-2014 11:53 PM
    I just received a Spigen Neo-Hybrid and my note 4 feels HUGE now! Is the slim armor thinner than the Neo-Hybrid? I love the design but its just too bulky. Anyone have any good suggestions for a case that doesn't add so much bulk?

So far I like the Slim armor. I don't think it adds too much bulk, but I can't compare it to the hybrid. Some people find it slick, I think it has good grip, so I guess it's not a lock or homerun for everyone....
    ajneuman likes this.
    11-01-2014 07:11 AM
    11-01-2014 08:02 AM
    Looks nice.
    Is it hard to install and remove from the UAG case?
    Install now, remove, yes.......Really tight at first but it's workable
    11-01-2014 09:06 AM
    I've had the Ballistic TJ for over a week now, and the Tech21 Impact Mesh Smokey for a day. The Ballistic is an excellent protection case. It won't win any sexy case contests, but it has a clean, functional, mil-spec look that works. The fit and function are a 10/10 IMHO. It will be a keeper but not a daily driver. Although I love it, had one for two years on an S3 and it did it's job, on the N4 it feels really bulky. Also the hard shell portion of the case is a little slippery and makes one hand operation a little tricky, and I'm 6'3" with large hands.
    The Tech21 looked like a great solution. Sleeker, slimmer, shows the back off, much easier to handle. But...there are some issues and it may be going back. The broken up orange material around the edges is....very subjective. On one hand the smokey case mutes the orange, but it is still a little wonky looking. The slimness of the case fits well in my hand, but overall feels a little cheap and slippery. Like a $2 skin that has bulkier orange edges. In the end, I really wanted to like this case, but feel like it is over priced and not the premium feel I am looking for.
    I think the Verus Thor might be my next attempt, but still hate covering up the look of the phone and, having a VZW version, will need to be modified (should be easy).
    11-01-2014 09:06 AM

Check out the Nillkin Case. only adds about 3mm of bulk, and gives a nice grippy texture. And only costs ~$11
    ajneuman likes this.
    11-01-2014 09:30 AM
    Finally got my Verus Iron Shield today. For someone looking for a minimalist case with some drop protection, it's pretty nice. Definitely looks and feels nice. The metal band has a nice finish and feels good in the hand. I don't think it's thick enough for me to use as a daily driver, but for times when I want a slimmer case for a night out or something it's a nice option. The buttons take a little more of a push than my Spigen TA but not bad enough for me to not buy the case. I've never had a Neo Hybrid, but this case looks similar with an aluminum band instead of polycarbonate. It fits on the phone perfectly and all of the cutouts are aligned perfectly. Not bad for the price. I still prefer a rounded side like the slim armor and the otterbox commuter offer. Will probably start with the slim armor and then get a otter when the prices come down a little.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4 using Tapatalk

I have to say I like the case but the buttons don't seem to be getting anymore tactile. Again not a deal breaker. But someone with smaller hands or weaker fingers may find it an annoyance. Ill post some better pics with the phone inside later if anyone wants them. Just used the mirror for now.

11-01-2014 12:31 PM
    Alright here we go.

Note 4 What case you going for?-img_7210.jpg

Note 4 What case you going for?-img_0720.jpg
    11-01-2014 01:11 PM
    Where did you get it? not on amazon now...

The heart rate monitor works right? thats my knock on the neo hybrid...

Alright here we go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7210.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	145184

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0720.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	145185
    11-01-2014 04:54 PM
    Where did you get it? not on amazon now...

The heart rate monitor works right? thats my knock on the neo hybrid...
    Got it here, in stock: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cUvbUpU4015772

I hadn't even tried the heart rate monitor until your question. Yeah it works, I tested taking some selfies and triggered the monitor just fine. I'd say I have fairly skinny fingers though, so it may depend on that. I don't see myself really using it so didn't consider it a factor.
    curney likes this.
    11-01-2014 05:19 PM
    Got it here, in stock: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cUvbUpU4015778

I hadn't even tried the heart rate monitor until your question. Yeah it works, I tested taking some selfies and triggered the monitor just fine. I'd say I have fairly skinny fingers though, so it may depend on that. I don't see myself really using it so didn't consider it a factor.
    Doh! I meant to reply to the poster above you... cases look almost the same.
    11-01-2014 05:25 PM
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...f9c37f6a3e.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...019d361a8f.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...8ccebc88d6.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...238b690ed3.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...981c3c344e.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...bb0b267858.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...67ac49e7c7.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...5ddccc716c.jpg

I have to say I like the case but the buttons don't seem to be getting anymore tactile. Again not a deal breaker. But someone with smaller hands or weaker fingers may find it an annoyance. Ill post some better pics with the phone inside later if anyone wants them. Just used the mirror for now.

Nice! I want one. Where did you get it? Not on amazon right now. Heart rate monitor works right?
    11-01-2014 05:27 PM
    Nice! I want one. Where did you get it? Not on amazon right now. Heart rate monitor works right?
    I ordered from Amazon during the presale. HR monitor works fine.

11-01-2014 05:31 PM
    I ordered from Amazon during the presale. HR monitor works fine.

Damnit. I want it! Thanks
    11-01-2014 05:32 PM
    FYI:

Best Buy just got in the Speck candyshell grip cases.

They have both black and white
    11-02-2014 10:48 AM
    They need to make the simple snap to kickstand cases for it. Basic plastic on the back, tpu sides with the curved metal kickstand. You press on it and it curls out. Stands it in portrait and landscape. Makes a great two finger hold so your thumb can easily reach all over the screen and provides complete basic protection without bulk.

Here it is for the S4. I'll take function over form any day.

11-02-2014 10:56 AM
    Any case with a beltclip/holster could have a kickstand without adding any additional parts. When the beltclip is rotated to landscape position the bottom of the kickstand and the side clip that holds the phone/case in the holster align and become the kickstand. My BodyGlove ToughSuit had one like that. It's such a simple design it surprises me that very few manufacturers offer it.
    11-02-2014 12:52 PM
    FYI:

Best Buy just got in the Speck candyshell grip cases.

They have both black and white
    Wow. They're not even on their website yet.

11-02-2014 01:18 PM
    Any case with a beltclip/holster could have a kickstand without adding any additional parts. When the beltclip is rotated to landscape position the bottom of the kickstand and the side clip that holds the phone/case in the holster align and become the kickstand. My BodyGlove ToughSuit had one like that. It's such a simple design it surprises me that very few manufacturers offer it.
    Because the holster is a lot more bulky than any single layer kickstand case. And the case is always with you when the holster might not be. And if you use the kickstand as a finger hold, you're SOL. It's nice option if you use a holster though. That's why it's easy to just get the $10 or less ones off of ebay/Amazon and get the case of your choice instead of being limited to a case/holster combo.
    11-02-2014 01:49 PM
    So can anyone who has or has had in the past give me a comparison. I've always used an Otterbox commuter as my daily driver. It took a hell of a beating on my note 3 and no phone damage. I've got a Verus Iron Shield that is what it is, but I'm too worried about drops to use it daily. I have the Spigen Tough Armor but not a huge fan of the squared off edges. The rounded sides of the commuter were comfortable to hold for long periods.

However, I'm not into spending $50 for one case anymore. I like the rounded sides of the Spigen Slim Armor. Between the tough
    and slim armor, where does the commuter compare in drop protection? Just trying to not end up with a bunch of cases. Thanks in advance.

11-02-2014 02:08 PM
    The physical button stuff I find indicative of the lack of care taken to design these case products. Frankly I think it is rampant.

The best designs neither enhance nor detract from the sensitivity or feedback of the naked on/off. volume or any other button for that matter.

The only case manufacturer that I have seen that has definitively hit that mark is Ballistic. Verus with its Thor is very close..... Spigen....not even in the same ballpark....comically off with every Spigen case I have tried so far. My past experience with Otterbox would put them in the passable category...not great but not bad either. Have not tried an Otterbox for this device but have had several over the years and they have never changed before. So I would not expect it to be different now.
    11-02-2014 02:10 PM
    The physical button stuff I find indicative of the lack of care taken to design these case products. Frankly I think it is rampant.

The best designs neither enhance nor detract from the sensitivity or feedback of the naked on/off. volume or any other button for that matter.

The only case manufacturer that I have seen that has definitively hit that mark is Ballistic. Verus with its Thor is very close..... Spigen....not even in the same ballpark....comically off with every Spigen case I have tried so far. My past experience with Otterbox would put them in the passable category...not great but not bad either. Have not tried an Otterbox for this device but have had several over the years and they have never changed before. So I would not expect it to be different now.
    Do the Ballistic cases have the elongated microphone hole that will work with the Verizon Note 4?
    11-02-2014 02:16 PM
    I prefer a case that makes the side rocker buttons harder to operate because without those type of side rocker covers I accidentally activate both of controls usually inadvertently decreasing the volume.
    11-02-2014 02:31 PM
    I prefer a case that makes the side rocker buttons harder to operate because without those type of side rocker covers I accidentally activate both of controls usually inadvertently decreasing the volume.
    Verus Iron Shield fits the bill.

11-02-2014 02:33 PM
    Yes the Ballistic cases are VzW and other US carrier ready,
    11-02-2014 02:35 PM
983 ... 3233343536 ...