What Carrying Case Is Best For Galaxy Note 4?

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
re: Verizon owners - case warning (not just Spigen, other thrird party as well)

My neo is the same. Gonna try and poke some bigger holes tonight

Posted via the Android Central App

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Spigen cases are not compatible with Verizon Note 4

That is an interesting side effect of the misaligned left side mic hole. The natural inclination is to think the major effect will be "nobody can hear me". But then the mic itself must be sensitive enough to pick up the sound of your hand moving on the case, amplified to some extent by that funnel that is designed for that very purpose only for your voice, not the echo of some sound of movement on the case by your hand, transmitted through the case and to the mic. This might be the first evidence of a side effect as opposed to a direct effect from the result of the covered hole combined with the funnel that Sammy incorporated in the VzW variant design in an effort to funnel sound up to that mic.

No question about it then. The only choices are to open up a direct hole to the N4 mic hole or return the case. As I said earlier, I am really disappointed in some of these suppliers. That is just a flat bad job. Then to dump these cases out onto the market with in some cases return policies that kick you out of an opportunity to return it before you have even received is just bad business.

Hope some of said companies are monitoring this forum so they can see how much wreckage they are about to cost to their business. Hope it was worth it? Having been a Marketing and Sales professional for many years in Telecom, it rarely was worth it and I never allowed my company to do it. We always sucked it up regardless of the cost. My guess as to whether these are company honest mistakes in releasing these cases to the market.....not likely. They very likely knew they goofed and released them anyway instead of dealing with the issues internally based on some whacked out formula for how many times a VzW customer would end up with one of these none functional cases.

They could just as easily have complicated their lives a little by specifying that these early cases would not work with the VzW variant. They would have still sold tons of cases.

Last edited:

nosh1tman

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site

The Ringke slim case I got from Amazon = Galaxy Note 4 Case - Ringke SLIM Case [Free HD Film/All Around Protection][SF BLACK] Premium Dual Coated Hard Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - ECO Package

Also have wrong cutout for one of the mics at the bottom for my Verizon Note 4. What's going on??

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
re: Verizon owners - case warning (not just Spigen, other thrird party as well)

Fixed mine. Just made the holes in the rubber part bigger. Didn't touch the plastic bumper part

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

I fixed mine but making the holes on the inner part bigger. I didn't touch the outer bumper part. Now it works great, and you can't see the part I dug out at all.
Neo hybrid case.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: For those with the Note 4 in a case...

I kept two cases. I like slim, no bulk.
The two I kept are the neo hybrid and body glove.
They're grippy, not plastic feeling.
And I've never used a case on any phone before

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

Just so people are not dissuaded from going after the polycarb rib....if you have a high speed drill, and a small enough bit, you can drill it out as cleanly as the hole next to it. However the best way to go after the polymer inner jacket is with a punch...makes a very clean hole in the polymer jacket where a drill bit really has a hard time with polymer. Just nothing for the bit to grab onto.

I am likely to have a Tough Armor that I won't be able to return thanks to these less than best business practices. I might try to "fix" that one and provide instructions for that as well. If not I will just give it away to a none VzW customer so these characters will sell one less case. The Verus Thor that is on the way will also require modification or return. I would probably like to be able to keep that case, if I can "fix" it. So I will probably give it a try and post up results here if I can pull it off.

saneace

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

Seems like lots of other case manufacturers would fall subject to the same flaw. On the one hand, it is the business of these case manufacturers to know that there is a difference and compensate for it. On the other hand, I cannot escape the conclusion that Big Red is the real culprit here. Why would Verizon do this? The only thing I can come up with is to sell more cases itself to its own customers, which have a high markup. Verizon also takes out the Sammy headphones that ship with the Note 4, as if this would cause me to buy something from them. This fits the general theme. There is no denying that Big Red has a hell of a network. When traveling to court in rural areas, there simply is no replacement. Unfortunately, Verizon knows this, and they leverage the hell out of it.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

What you are missing is the premise for the difference. It has nothing to do with deciding to put a hole one place vs another place.

All of the carriers have supported competing technologies over the years. That is lost now in the deep dark history of the change from analog cellular to digital cellular. Some of you may not even know there was once a thing called "analog cellular".

Now we are up to LTE and even "4" or 4LTE for that matter having by generation worked through 2G and 3G and there is little in the way of competition on the technology front. Now that we are up to 4LTE there is little to distinguish the 4LTE package on a Verizon radio tray from the 4LTE package on an AT&T radio tray. But even through 2G and 3G various hardware designers and manufacturers struggled with making a 2G or 3G radio that could live on the same radio tray with whatever previous digital technology had to be supported. Everything must be backwards compatible by FCC rule. So while there might be little to distinguish a 4LTE package in a Verizon phone from one in an AT&T phone all of the 2G and 3G radios have to be backwards compatible based on what choices said carrier made in the past. In fact, these babies have to be backwards compatible all the way back to any digital phone technology deployed and still in use anywhere by a particular carrier.

At one time there was a fierce competition between CDMA technology developers and GSM technology developers. They fought tooth and nail to convince the various carriers to choose their technology. The developers also fought tooth and nail to convince major hardware manufacturers to build equipment based on their technology. The costs involved were enormous and as big as some of these hardware manufacturers where, they often felt compelled to stick their foot in one camp or the other.

Here, Verizon was the big win for the CDMA camp. AT&T was the big win for the GSM camp. Worldwide, GSM clobbered CDMA. However where CDMA won it usually won big ala' Verizon just as an example. While all this was happening on the technology front, various auctions were held by governing bodies like the FCC here for frequency blocks by territory. As a result, here we ended up with multiple carriers supporting various digital phone technologies with different frequency blocks across each of their footprints. That was not so much the case in Europe where the overarching "wisdom" was that "technology competition" would not allow enough volume to accrue to any one technology preventing any one of them from being driven sufficiently down the cost curve. So Europe made one decision for the whole kit and caboodle. That decision was for GSM. Talk about huge financial gambles and stakes.

At any rate FCC rules require that all of the carriers must be backwards compatible with every digital technology they have supported and deployed and in all of the various frequency blocks they own. The time spans within this FCC rule are daunting....far longer for example than what the FCC required for the conversion to digital TV. So while all of the N4's look like N4's there are different N4's based on what technologies have to be supported. So the Verizon radio tray is not the same as the AT&T radio tray. In fact, the Verizon radio tray is likely dissimilar when compared to any of the other radio trays in any of the other US carrier based N4's. It might not be the same size as the AT&T radio tray using AT&T as an example. The trace lines especially to the antennas may have been put in different places because of the actual locations of components on the radio tray. I suspect that differences in the radio tray is what has ultimately resulted in the Verizon version of an N4 having a different location for the left side mic hole. Remember, not only did that hole have to be moved, but Sammy had to incorporate a funnel to help drive your voice up to the mic location. So it also had to be set back farther than the norm. This funnel is what makes me think it is likely the radio tray and the antenna trace lines that forced this issue. Trust me, this has nothing to do with Verizon trying to sell more cases. It is if anything entirely an issue of the radio tray and antenna and other trace line locations in a Verizon version N4.

nosh1tman

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site

I found this image from SupCase on Amazon:

71pTCJF8Z5L._SL1205_.jpg

It shows the left mic hole is slightly different for each of the 4 carriers.
And that their case has a tunnel which allows sound to move through and into the mic.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Spigen cases are not compatible with Verizon Note 4

The issue is with Verizon phones. ALL cases to date, to my knowledge, have this problem. For some reason, the Verizon microphone is located in a different place than the other Note 4's - this is going to be one heck of a big problem with the case manufacturers!
Not all. The $15 official Samsung one is ok.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414331932.107788.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414332137.817750.jpg

In comparison the spigen one

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

Trindadi84

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I have the spigen slim armor with my verizon note 4 and have not had issues with people hearing me. Did not even realize there was a problem until I saw this thread!

brun019822

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Case frustration

The problem with the ringkje case is the fact that it sits the camera flush with the back of the case so basically your camera is sitting on whatever surface your phone is on...

thats not true, the case has a lip around the camera so it does not sit flush

tdgwf

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note 4 Case frustration

I'll post a picture when I get another phone to take it with. This is just the case by itself. No lip
5f367696b1d2990a1bbf2c986c18fdb0.jpg

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Verizon owners - case warning (not just Spigen, other thrird party as well)

So far I have found the official Samsung case and the otterbox defender works fine with the Verizon version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37