Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Car Mounts

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I would bet money that the Proclip would be more stable since the standoff is mounting to the vent frame and not the vent louvers.

But at least those that know the company posting here seem to think it will be months!

Pedro2NR

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I got a CD mount called Ppyple Universal Car mount from eBay. Works good on my Note 4 but my Note 10.1 2014 not really recommended.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 2014-10-29 19.46.39.jpg
    2014-10-29 19.46.39.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 2014-10-29 19.44.24.jpg
    2014-10-29 19.44.24.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 2014-10-29 19.43.51.jpg
    2014-10-29 19.43.51.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 2014-10-29 17.05.23.jpg
    2014-10-29 17.05.23.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20141029_171551.jpg
    20141029_171551.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 81

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I would bet money that the Proclip would be more stable since the standoff is mounting to the vent frame and not the vent louvers.

But at least those that know the company posting here seem to think it will be months!

I think you're correct about the ProClip not vibrating because it isn't connected to the air vent. Before I order a Seidio Quest mount I'm going to take another close look at the ProClip. Since I'll have a fairly large case it would be one of their universal mounts I'd be using and I think those are immediately available.

jemproperty

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Steelie! Google it, by far the best car mount I have ever used! You can mount it where you need it, flip the phone in any position and it stays.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
How do the vent mounted type work? I would only be worried about breaking my vents with repeated putting the phone in and pulling it out.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
How do the vent mounted type work? I would only be worried about breaking my vents with repeated putting the phone in and pulling it out.

I don't like my Arkon vent mount because the phone vibrates and its dark screen kind of flashes because of the light hitting it at different angles when it's vibrating. I'm sending mine back to Amazon.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't like my Arkon vent mount because the phone vibrates and its dark screen kind of flashes because of the light hitting it at different angles when it's vibrating. I'm sending mine back to Amazon.
That's a worry I have about the vent mounts too. Just not sturdy enough

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't like the way the Akron moves around either. Not at all a secure feeling. But in my case, I can't go window (blocks to much window) and I don't like console. Too much other junk floating around that finds its way out and about the console for me to go there.

Has anybody tried one of the Proclip universal mounts with any success?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the way the Akron moves around either. Not at all a secure feeling. But in my case, I can't go window (blocks to much window) and I don't like console. Too much other junk floating around that finds its way out and about the console for me to go there.

Has anybody tried one of the Proclip universal mounts with any success?

There have been several posters that use ProClip with excellent results. Their N4 mount is not yet released but if you're using a case one of their universal mounts rather than the N4 specific one is what you'd want and they are available.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
That might save me then. I just have to get one that will cover more than one case....

I think you and I both have one of the Bal TJ covers and that one is about 16mm thick. The Thor I have also is about 12 maybe 13mm thick. the range for each of the Proclip unis is about 4mm total range of thickness. If one covers both 12 and 16 or maybe 13 and 16mm. I might be in business. I will give that a look. I don't think I will get below the thickness of a Thor and not sure there is a reason to get above the thickness of a TJ. That looks like a very drop damage resistant cover to me.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
After some investigation at least from what I can see, even when ProClip has something they will likely force me into some pretty tough choices. Their dedicated mounts or I guess I should say none of the phone or device holders appear to be spring loaded. So that has got to mean that even in the case of a dedicated holder, you have to use it without a cover. Not real interested in removing a cover just to stick the thing into a vehicular mount.

The Kenu seems like a wonderful idea. Only issue for me is that it uses the vent louvers and given that the larger vent louver mounts don't seem to provide much in the way of additional stability....the Kenu would seem to have it all over them. But the same problem.....These are not small devices. Vent louvers are not very robust. If anything the Akron might be a tin bit better because it has additional bottom leg that is supporting the mount against the vent frame instead of the louvers.

I might keep that one and see how it goes for now. Not sure there is anything else I could consider that really has a shot.

yeatzee

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have the iOttie XL mount, I was originally going to purchase the one posted on page one that is basically an updated telescoping version but it was out of stock on amazon and I wanted something asap. It is mounted to the glass in the upper left hand corner and really works quite well. It is fairly stable, the mount is stronger then I anticipated, and it was easy to position it how I wanted. It feels cheap though, and I have my doubts about longevity because of the plastic construction, and I am also a little paranoid about scratching the phone's bottom edge since it has cushions but they are sunken into the plastic and dont really sit higher then the plastic they are housed in. My delimma with using a car dock has been what app to use more then anything. It seems the stock samsung car dock is great, but no pandora functionality kills it for me. I've tried the other more popular options and they don't have voice control like the samsung app with S voice which makes things more difficult.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression the ProClip universal mounts would work with a case, not sure what spring loading has to do with it. If I were to get a ProClip it would be the console mount. My dash only has room for a mount in the upper portion of the center stack and I don't want my phone mounted there. I haven't tried it at night yet but I'm thinking the brightness of the screen is going to be too much light up on my dashboard. The other mount I'm looking at is the Seidio Quest which works with their Convert case when it's available in 3-4 weeks.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well I think it sort of depends on the case you have. the phone has to slide in from the top and be snug enough to stay put but with enough freedom of movement to slide it back out again. If you have to snug it down with the adjustment screws too much then you have basically mated your phone to the mount.

So for example, covers with big corner bumpers where a spring loaded holder really comes in handy may not be usable with their mounts whether the universal or a dedicated mount. If you can get those bottom corner bumpers in, you are probably stuck with the phone only being held by those corner bumpers instead of by maybe 2" along the sides. That sounds like a phone vibrating around just like it is in the Akron mount but for a different reason. I think the Akron vibrates and jumps around a bit because the base is not really fastened all that snugly to the vent louvers. In the Proclip, depending on what cover you use, it may jump around a bit because it is only being help at the very bottom depending on your cover.

I think I am gong to try the big universal as I think my Thor case will work fine with it. Not sure about my Ballistic Tough Jacket because it does have big corner bumpers.

Last edited:

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I had to switch to the Seidio Surface which I'm going to turn into their Convert model w/ holster when the add on kit is available in 3-4 weeks. I'm also going to order their Quest mount which needs the Convert case to work and I'm going to mount it on my center console.

I wanted the Ballistic Tough Jacket Maxx and ordered it twice on Amazon & eBay from resellers that claimed they had it in stock but neither did. I did not want to wait any longer for a case and I got my Surface today. So at least I have some protection.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I like the Bal TJ. I know some people are going to think it too big and it is the polar opposite (almost) of my Thor case. But you do get a feeling that IF you dropped it in the TJ unless you were very unlucky, the N4 would likely survive. It has material in all the right places. How I wish they had continued the texture up the sides of the case from the back. I might end up making a Supcase my super heavy duty case and return the Bal TJ. I just feel like I am bound to loose hold of the N4 in the TJ case and at least the Supcase would give me one case with port covers. Then I would have the Neo H...not going to see much street time I am afraid, the Thor....likely going to get the most time for about a billion reasons including most likely to fit into a Proclip Uni and then the Supcase for times when I want a good deal of protection and port covers. I don't think it will make sense to keep the TJ and the Supcase although I could be wrong.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
After some investigation at least from what I can see, even when ProClip has something they will likely force me into some pretty tough choices. Their dedicated mounts or I guess I should say none of the phone or device holders appear to be spring loaded. So that has got to mean that even in the case of a dedicated holder, you have to use it without a cover. Not real interested in removing a cover just to stick the thing into a vehicular mount.

I was under the impression the ProClip universal mounts would work with a case, not sure what spring loading has to do with it. If I were to get a ProClip it would be the console mount. My dash only has room for a mount in the upper portion of the center stack and I don't want my phone mounted there. I haven't tried it at night yet but I'm thinking the brightness of the screen is going to be too much light up on my dashboard. The other mount I'm looking at is the Seidio Quest which works with their Convert case when it's available in 3-4 weeks.

Spring loaded indeed has nothing to do with it. You either get a ProClip holder specifically designed for your device without a case, or you pick one from their range of universal holders if you want to keep a case on. (The Large Universal Adjustable ProClip Holder T1 is the one I got for my Note 4 with the Samsung protective cover on it.) There are two screws on the universal holders that allow you to adjust the width of the holder to fit the width of your case, so you can just slide it in with the case on, with no spring loading involved -- you essentially customize the holder for your device with a case. It's an entirely secure fit, but I should mention that because you can't customize the depth of the universal holder, there may be a little front to back wiggle when you touch the top of the Note 4. You can get rid of that by tightening the width even more. However, if you are using a TPU case, tightening the width can make it harder to slide the case in.

skittlepop

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I (after seeing another forum member mention them) got the iMagnet mount in the mail yesterday. For me this seems to be the seamless experience I wanted in a mount. I'm using a 2piece Verus Thor case and have the thin metal plate between the layers, it is completely undetectable. The little magnet mount is a powerhouse and the small gel suction cup is super strong, and fits on my dash in places other bigger suction mounts would not. Now my phone just "snaps to" my mount! No buttons or springs to hold open. Dig it!

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Car Mounts

I'm using the Kenu Airframe+. It's simple and not intrusive. It connects to your air vent and is built reply well.

http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe-plus

bmoore- Thanks so much for posting that link!! I've never heard of that brand, but I checked out the link & video and it looks great! I thought it was going to be very hard to find a device to securely hold the Note 4 without being a monster! Looks like my search is over. ..thanks again! 👌

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
If you are going to keep a cover on it, it is not nearly that simple....by Proclip's own admission if you call them. The range of depth in each of those universal mounts is only something like 4mm and most of these covers have a beveled edge. The Proclip universal holders are only going to get any real bite right at the edge...but it is not easy to determine how much material you actually have at the edge even with a digital caliper. The cover always looks like there is more depth there than you think there is. However even with that it is not an impossible task...just not as straightforward as tic-tac-toe unless you have a cover with square edges with no bevel. The spring loaded holders are as straightforward as tic-tac-toe because it simply does not matter how much meat there is at the actual edge of the cover. You are just going to squeeze until you get there. But none of the spring loaded jobs have as secure a mounting platform as the Proclip IMO. They have optimized every mount to a specific vehicle interior design and they don't rely on vent louvers to hold up your expensive phone. Just don't be surprised if it takes more than one bit at the apple to get the Universal phone holder choice right. IMO, it is worth the time. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech