My Note 4 is my first smartphone (I know, I've been under a rock) and I'm dealing with the bewildering array of cases "out there". I preordered a Spigen Tough Armor based on its description and general positive reviews of its products, and I generally like it, but with it on the phone won't lay flat. I thought I got a defective one, but the second one is the same.

This may not bother some people but for me it's a deal-breaker. I can't stand the thing rocking back and forth whenever I use it on a table.

Now I'm trying to figure out what would be a better option. I want something that will provide solid protection against bumps and even light drops. I don't really care if it makes the phone slightly bigger or thicker, since it's already a beast anyway. Any suggestions?

I will also read the long thread on this, but it's hard to figure out the various options, so any "personalized" recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    10-27-2014 08:25 AM
    The Spigen Slim Armor does lay flat, this is my current case. The Urban Armor Gear cases should also lay flat, but are expensive since they were just released. The price should drop within a couple months, and I'll pick one up then.
    10-27-2014 09:13 AM
    I don't see anything wrong with the protective case that Samsung has for the smartphone itself, it fits snug, and they also chop 50% off of the case just for registering the phone (or signing into your Samsung account on the phone, after creation that is)...
    10-27-2014 06:17 PM
    The Samsung cases have a four week backorder status right now.
    10-27-2014 06:27 PM
    The only case I saw at Best Buy yesterday was a folding leatherette thing from Samsung that was overpriced and did not impress. I never checked the Samsung site itself.

To be honest, after playing with someone's BlackBerry on the weekend I find myself wanting a case with a built in mini keyboard. I know I am still new to smartphones, but my fat thumbs make typing on touchscreen keyboards a slow and frustrating endeavor.

Of course, there aren't any of these available either yet.
    10-28-2014 07:01 AM
    It's important to know if you have the Verizon version of the note 4 or not, because many cases (Bad since not many are available to begin with) are not compatible with it due to the bottom mics being aligned differently than the others.
    10-28-2014 12:52 PM
    I am on AT&T.

(Why would a carrier want to physically rearrange the device? Why would the device maker agree? So bizarre.)
    10-28-2014 03:47 PM
    I am on AT&T.

(Why would a carrier want to physically rearrange the device? Why would the device maker agree? So bizarre.)
    Samsung is like that...
    10-28-2014 04:02 PM
    It's complicated - It's been explained a few times in several threads (It's over my head), but basically, it's not something they just arbitrarily changed. It'just is how it is and most of the case manufacturers failed to take notice and design around it.
    10-28-2014 04:22 PM
    I apologize... I am to blame for the complicated explanations. Suffice to say that there are two basic issues that drive the radio trays inside these phone....1) whether a carrier has to be backwards compatible with CDMA (code divisible multiple access) or GSM (global systems for mobiles) and 2) what frequency blocks the carrier is licensed for where. So the radio trays are not the same really for any of the carriers. I am guessing that the radio tray and the locations for the antenna trace lines inside the VzW version forced the left mic off the standard left mic location for the N4 and to a new location.

You can read up on CDMA vs GSM if you like or if you read some and want to get a layman's explanation for what you are reading...post up that you would like me to try and I will offer up something that folks should be able to understand.
    Alexander Burnside likes this.
    10-28-2014 07:40 PM
    Interesting. Thanks.

Anyway, the search for a case continues. I just noticed TOP now has a keyboard case for the Note 4 on Amazon, but at $30 + non-refundable $15 shipping I'm not willing to be a guinea pig for it. (And it doesn't seem to provide a lot of protection). I may just get a separate folding keyboard and look for a protective case elsewhere.

A colleague here has a Note 3 with an Otterbox, I am not sure what type. It's cool but huge and pricey.
    10-29-2014 07:33 AM
    Looking at all the options from the Note 3, I've settled on Trident as making the case I'm most interested in. It also seems as though it is designed to lay flat. I contacted Trident and here's what they had to say:

Thank you for your interest in our Trident Case products. We should have our cases for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 available to order on our website by mid-November. We do not have any plans for the Verizon version as of yet, but could possibly have a design in the future.
    I hope this helps you out. Please feel free to reach out to me should you have additional questions concerning our products.
    I am currently case-less, but I have ordered a Supcase unicorn beetle (also looks as thought it should lay flat) until the Trident case is out and I can verify that it is compatible with my Verizon case, which may take a while.
    10-29-2014 10:03 AM