Anyone planning to get a Gear VR?

Will you be getting the Gear VR?

• Total voters

skittlepop

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Seems most of the early reviews seem to think this N4 accessory has lots of promise as an early VR device. I'd love to have one to watch movies on, but I think I'll wait until it and the gear watch hit clearance in 6 months or so, then get them both half off as toys.

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I really want one also, but I am looking at the cost and how long do I plan to keep my Note 4. If it only works with the Note 4 and I plan on upgrading next yer to the Note 5, then I don't see a point in getting one. Also I want to know how much movies and apps will cost on it. Having said all this, I still want one but I'm not sure it will be worth it in the end.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This is like last year with the Gear 1 watch. I fell for that then, so I suppose I will fall for this. Looking forward to next year's microwave toaster.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Well, the old man is going to jump on the VR like hot on rice. Just as soon as it is released here in the states. Too old to play the waiting game. My Note 4 and Gear S are smoking, and VR promises to add to the smoke.

Plus, I am Senior Citizen Samsung Fanboy... Am I the only one?? :D :D :D

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I really want one also, but I am looking at the cost and how long do I plan to keep my Note 4. If it only works with the Note 4 and I plan on upgrading next yer to the Note 5, then I don't see a point in getting one. Also I want to know how much movies and apps will cost on it. Having said all this, I still want one but I'm not sure it will be worth it in the end.

This. I'm not sure if I'll upgrade in 2 years, plus I'm not sure if it would even be a Samsung phone anyways (not that I expect the VR Gear to be compatible with the Note 5)

It's cheaper than Occulus Rift and coming sooner, but I'm not sure if it'll be worth it since it'll be restricted to the hardware AND software of the Note 4. The Rift seems more future proof to me, plus wouldn't the Rift get more games? Or will Occulus stuff be compatible with the VR Gear?

cadcoke5

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung Gear VR is now available for purchase, for $200 at
Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition

They call it, "Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition". Gizmag speculated they called it that because there isn't much in the way of software to use with it.

I do CAD design. I was thinking through some sort of commercial justification for my work. But I cannot find any software, to allow the user to import CAD models. And if the software did exist, I am not sure this sort of device is really necessary just to view a model. Is it really that much better than something like Google Cardboard for viewing a CAD model? For my work, I suspect we may even prefer some of the low-cost plastic versions of Google Cardboard. We could even give a cheap one to a client, for them to use with their own smart phone, if they had access to one with good resolution.

At $200, I am definitely not personally going for it.

-Joe

ilander

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick note so no one falls into the trap I did. The Gear VR is currently NOT compatible with the Verzion or Tmobile Note 4. It's unclear if the unit will be made compatible though a patch to the unit, a software update through the carrier, or if a completely different hardware sku is required. I basically have a pricy doorstop being delivered by UPS today because of this.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick note so no one falls into the trap I did. The Gear VR is currently NOT compatible with the Verzion or Tmobile Note 4. It's unclear if the unit will be made compatible though a patch to the unit, a software update through the carrier, or if a completely different hardware sku is required. I basically have a pricy doorstop being delivered by UPS today because of this.

Man that sucks. I know it says it's compatible with Verizon, but the T Mobile thing is new. I'm still trying to decide if I need this in my life or not (I have Sprint.)

I heard that they eventually want to get support for other Samsung phones too so a patch for the other Notes seems plausible?

Evilgrinz

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Mine is on the way, I'm a verizon customer. There is no incentive for carriers to update for it, unless they are making money off it. I don't think verizon is selling it? I'll bug the crap out of them.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine's on the way too haha. I finally set up my cardboard and absolutely loved it, so even if there's only a few dozen little experiences, it's gonna be worth it. Especially for the Jack White concert alone haha.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There is an update that should make it compatible

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star