I'm oh-fer-two on cases so far. First was a Spigen I mostly liked but returned because it wouldn't lie flat on a desk. Second was a Supcase Beetle, which I don't care for because of the flimsy screen protector and the bulky hard shell with non-removable belt clip.

What I am looking for is a case without a built-in screen protector that includes both a soft layer and a hard shell at least on the corners to protect the device against a possible drop. Made with decent quality so it lies flat on a flat surface.

I was even willing to shell out $70 for an Otterbox but I am afraid that despite their reputation for quality I will have the same issue with dust under the screen protector, and the protector getting scratched up.

Suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

ETA: Anyone tried this? Looks decent, is cheap, Amazon Prime, and the kickstand would be a bonus. Has good reviews though they all seem to be for the Note 3 version.

http://www.amazon.com/Evecase-Kick-S...cUvbUpU4021160
    11-03-2014 01:01 PM
    One choice if you can wait another 3 weeks or so is the Seidio Convert which has a separate protector that you don't have to use. Another choice if you want something sooner is to order their Surface model and get the Convert add on kit when its available. It does have a kickstand.
    11-03-2014 01:31 PM
    Thanks for the reply. To my eyes though, that Surface is a fairly mundane looking soft case given what it costs (and that I can't buy it on Amazon, my go-to place for all things if possible. )
    11-03-2014 01:40 PM
    I think it's way overpriced myself but the reason I bought it was to turn it into a Convert and use Seidio's Quest car mount. That and I've always had cases with kickstands. It is a nice high quality case but I think at the very least it should have covers for the side rocker switches for the price. The Convert is fairly heavy duty impact resistance with port covers & camera lens cover. I could not find another case that had port covers and a kickstand.
    11-03-2014 04:56 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Their products still seem very much in flux so I will probably wait a bit and look again if I haven't found anything else.

In the meantime I ordered the Evecase I linked in the OP. It was $11 with free 2-day shipping for me from Amazon so I figured why not. That's one issue with these cases, they all seem to be online and you really can't tell if you like one or not until you get it in your hot little hands....
    11-04-2014 04:55 AM
    Spigen Slimarmor has been great for me. I bought it before the release of the phone to use until there was more selection. Been an awesome case so far and I'm not sure I'll even get a different case. No screen protector, sturdy yet easy to get on and off for battery replacement. Price was great too, less than $15 delivered from Amazon.
    11-04-2014 10:49 AM
    11-04-2014 03:19 PM
    The Thor is a great case. I used to be a big fan of Spigen's slim armor line, but unless you got the soft feeling black finish, the case would attract scratches easily. I wonder why Spigen doesn't offer the SF black option for the Note 4

Sent from my Note 4
    11-04-2014 03:43 PM
    I'm happy with the spigen neo hybrid case, it lays flat and seem to cover all the pre-reqs you listed. I posted some pictures in another thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/att...g-img_7210.jpg

http://forums.androidcentral.com/att...g-img_0720.jpg
    Brian Kenny likes this.
    11-04-2014 04:49 PM
    That Versus Thor is a really good looking case and it appears it's got some decent impact protection. If I didn't need a holster I'd order one. For my tastes I think that's maybe the best looking case I've seen.
    11-04-2014 07:26 PM
    That Versus Thor is a really good looking case and it appears it's got some decent impact protection. If I didn't need a holster I'd order one. For my tastes I think that's maybe the best looking case I've seen.
    I use a leather holster made by Nutshell in addition to the Thor case. The Note 4 with the Verus Thor case fits no problem. It also has the added benefit of providing great protection between the phone case and the thick leather.

http://tuff-as-nuts.com/nutshell-215-belt-case.aspx

They're not cheap, but the quality is very good. You also get lots of options, leather color, velcro flap, magnetic flap, no flap, different belt attachments, horizontal or vertical, etc. I've used their holster for years working in EMS.
    11-04-2014 08:20 PM
    The Thor case does look good. Verus has a lot of negative reviews for customer support on Amazon, though.

I just got the Evecase I ordered. For $11 it is pretty nice. Once I figured out that I had to disassemble the interior plastic shell it went in easily and the rubber outer layer is great.

One problem: I can't get the headphone jack to work -- the cutout is too small! Don't companies test these things? Sheesh!
    11-05-2014 12:22 PM
    I ended up just shaving down the plug on the headphone jack adapter I already had and it fits now. I think I'm going to keep this case -- it seems solid, I like the vertical/horizontal kick stand and it has a good feel. Some folks won't like the rather large gaps in some places, especially the bottom, but for me it's a nice compromise on protection and thickness and the price is hard to argue with.
    11-06-2014 05:39 AM
    Wait another week and get the Verus iron shield... 2 part case outside bumper is aluminum so you aren't losing the premium feel... be back on amazon in a week or so

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-09-2014 10:18 AM
    I m a cartoon buff so I got this... Also a caseology and a Spigen
    11-09-2014 08:32 PM
    Three of the Cases I am currently using ....
    Attached Thumbnails Still looking for a good protective case-1415587666439.jpg   Still looking for a good protective case-1415587689040.jpg   Still looking for a good protective case-1415587704399.jpg  
    11-09-2014 08:50 PM
    So nice I had to order two verus ironshield

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Still looking for a good protective case-img_20141124_170122.jpg  
    sparker04 likes this.
    11-25-2014 07:18 PM
    i also use the verus iron shield and i looooove it. cant beat the price too
    Brian Kenny likes this.
    11-25-2014 09:09 PM