Otterbox case - Defender

daninbluemd

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a defender on mine (& glass screen protector) but no side by side pic. I typically don't like cases, but a string of bad luck forced my hand. Definitely added bulk...I'd say 2x thickness, heavier, and much more noticible in my pocket, but I was very leery even handling my new GN4 without. I looked at a lot of cases & read a lot of reviews & almost got a commuter, but this didn't seem that much more bulky if I was going to get a case at all (briefly considered insurance only as w/o the case it IS a nice feel). I liked Samsung's case but didn't feel it offered much if any protection. I do feel a LOT safer holding it now & in a way I actually like the extra bulk. Everything seems to line up well (Verizon model). Getting the pen out is a very slightly more difficult & although there is a slight cutout for the fingerprint scanner, it's still not as fluid as w/o. Camera and pulse O2 work fine. Biggest compliant, & not sure if this is the case or phone, is since it's so big (& the bulk of the case helps here) I'm much more able to cradle it w/ my shoulder but when I do, it tends to turn the screen back on & then I'm inadvertently pressing speaker/mute, etc. I'm hoping there's a way to set the sensitivity (help if anyone knows). I'll have to take the case off & try, but probably wouldn't cradle it so easily without the case. If I do, I'll post a pic. As a side note, if the glass screen protector were a little bigger, the edges of the case would capture it would negate the halo & provide a seal. Mine is covered on one edge (top) & it's the only one w/o a halo. Fortunately the halo stops perfectly right at the useable screen area & it's not on perfectly square so I'm assuming it's a reaction with the screen plus the curvature of the glass. Hope this helps.

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Otterbox case

Look up the tech 21 case if you would like protection from drops we throw our phones at work all the time to prove they work

Posted via the Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Otterbox case

Whats the difference between defender and commuter?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

The Commuter has the rubber flaps to cover the USB and the Headphone Jack. It has a rubber insert with a polycarbonate outer shell that goes around it. It still provides more protection than most cases, but not anything like the Defender. The Defender has a much thicker case, with a built in screen protector. Both are nice, but the Defender is just too big for me and I don't like the screen protector built in. Commuter is my favorite line of cases and it's a little cheaper than the Defender which is nice.

azBuddah

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Just got my Defender and iloome screen protector. I've always had the Defender cases and haven't regretted it. Previous phone took a dive off a room I was working on, and the phone was unharmed, just a scuff mark on the rubber surrounding the case.

I'm trying out the iloome and left the Defenders screen on as well, to see how it functions.

Attachments

• otter2resized.jpg
    otter2resized.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Otter3.jpg
    Otter3.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 46

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Any problem with the hard plastic scratching or marking the painted sides of the Note 4? I'm scared of those little plastic poles in that hard plastic shell leaving damage on the phone.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Consider Tech 21. There are several flavors. I finally located a Classic with the cover...

Attachments

• 1419666337141.jpg
    1419666337141.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 1419666361100.jpg
    1419666361100.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 1419666374634.jpg
    1419666374634.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 1419666388086.jpg
    1419666388086.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 39

azBuddah

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Any problem with the hard plastic scratching or marking the painted sides of the Note 4? I'm scarred of those little plastic poles in that hard plastic shell leaving damage on the phone.

Haven't had it on for 24 hrs yet, did take a look this morning and everything appears fine but it hasn't left the house yet. I am surprised that I'm not having a problem running with 2 screen protectors. Have done quite a bit a texting, email, and surfing and having had any problem with having them both on there. Today I have to run some errands, going to see how the holster works out with this monster attached to my hip. Will update when I return home.

Mark Morrison

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine in a Defender for a week now, in and out of the case a couple times. No effect on the metal edges.
The case has an excellent front lip that recesses the screen well. The in-pocket thickness isn't nearly as noticeable as it is in your hand.
A glass protector underneath, or straight up removing the built in protector, would kill the problem of the air gap over the screen. But I find that using the S Pen negates the issue anyway, as the pen recognizes the screen tap without actually touching the screen.
I've ordered a couple "barely there" cases, but I'll probably stick with the Defender. Especially with having a 7 y.o. son wanting to use the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20