SD cards and Spare Batteries

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Lol eBay is known to sell cheap crap from China .....I wouldn't trust eBay ever ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm not too far off. I'd be real concerned about batteries and SD cards in particular. The last "cheap, amazing deal" battery I bought off of eBay I finally tested, and it wasn't close to the advertised capacity. Of course, my first clue, doh!, should've been that the battery looked exactly like lesser capacity batteries, same size, same weight. Batteries in particular---go boom. Inept battery makers are literally dangerous. There was just an article on fires--they also specified off-brand battery CHARGERS. Be careful with that stuff.

SD card frauds--counterfeits, misstated capacities--are well known, but at least the exposure is not so great if it happens. But still...what happens if you're on a 3 week vacation and the card with all your MP3s and photos fails because it's cheap junk or really a Class 3 instead of the advertised speed and can't handle HD videos, or whatever? Will certainly put a crimp on things.

At the very least, test it immediately on receipt and make sure to measure capacity so that it matches (apart from the normal slippage from math); and then format it in the phone. Test it some more.

Personally, at this point, I buy name brands, Kingston, SanDisk, Panasonic. Even some of the famous "inexpensive" brands like Transcend, PNY, A-Drive, have generally done well for me over the years. Is it possible the "deal" will work out? Sure. Not everyone is a crook. But the rash of complaints about these no-name, unbelievably cheap cards on eBay certainly indicates continuing problems. I'm not ever going to try to save $14 and order something billed as "generic, no-name card" again. Just not. :)

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to decide between the 64GB Samsung EVO or PRO. Will I really notice a difference with the EVO and PRO? I'll just be using it for on phone storage. Pictures, videos, etc. Can you also store your music on it!?

Honestly if you just want to save a few bucks the EVO is fine . For photos and music it's fine and for video it's ok

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been reading a lot of talk on write and read speeds of some brands of sd cards vs other brands.

With that said, could somebody post the spec of the fastest time the NOTE 4 can read and write?

What I am saying is, if you have a card that can do a super duper fast read and write, but your device can only read and write at a lower speed, what is the point?

Just saying .. :D

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't go that far, but I'm not too far off. I'd be real concerned about batteries and SD cards in particular. The last "cheap, amazing deal" battery I bought off of eBay I finally tested, and it wasn't close to the advertised capacity. Of course, my first clue, doh!, should've been that the battery looked exactly like lesser capacity batteries, same size, same weight. Batteries in particular---go boom. Inept battery makers are literally dangerous. There was just an article on fires--they also specified off-brand battery CHARGERS. Be careful with that stuff.

SD card frauds--counterfeits, misstated capacities--are well known, but at least the exposure is not so great if it happens. But still...what happens if you're on a 3 week vacation and the card with all your MP3s and photos fails because it's cheap junk or really a Class 3 instead of the advertised speed and can't handle HD videos, or whatever? Will certainly put a crimp on things.

At the very least, test it immediately on receipt and make sure to measure capacity so that it matches (apart from the normal slippage from math); and then format it in the phone. Test it some more.

Personally, at this point, I buy name brands, Kingston, SanDisk, Panasonic. Even some of the famous "inexpensive" brands like Transcend, PNY, A-Drive, have generally done well for me over the years. Is it possible the "deal" will work out? Sure. Not everyone is a crook. But the rash of complaints about these no-name, unbelievably cheap cards on eBay certainly indicates continuing problems. I'm not ever going to try to save $14 and order something billed as "generic, no-name card" again. Just not. :)
My opinion is I rather pay the premium then save a few bucks on certain items and memory and batteries are one of those items

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Coolboy32

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I went with a 64GB Samsung EVO from amazon. I wouldn't get it on ebay unless its from a reputable seller. I went with the EVO over the PRO mainly because my plans for the sd card is to just leave it in my Note 4 for storing photos, videos, music, and apps. I don't plan on removing it to transfer files between devices. So the read/write speed between the EVO and PRO wont mean anything for me, I just save a few bucks with the EVO.

There is a limit in read/write speed on the Note 4 but I honestly don't know what they are, I'm a patient guy, I can wait a bit longer for my stuff to read/write, EVO works great for my purpose. If speed is important to you when you remove the sd card to transfer files to and from your computer, then go with the PRO.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I went with a 64GB Samsung EVO from amazon. I wouldn't get it on ebay unless its from a reputable seller. I went with the EVO over the PRO mainly because my plans for the sd card is to just leave it in my Note 4 for storing photos, videos, music, and apps. I don't plan on removing it to transfer files between devices. So the read/write speed between the EVO and PRO wont mean anything for me, I just save a few bucks with the EVO.

There is a limit in read/write speed on the Note 4 but I honestly don't know what they are, I'm a patient guy, I can wait a bit longer for my stuff to read/write, EVO works great for my purpose. If speed is important to you when you remove the sd card to transfer files to and from your computer, then go with the PRO.

Also I thought I read the type of memory is used between them. The NAND memory in the pro is better similar to the whole iPhone memory debacle. I think I read this somewhere when I was researching for them a while back but I could be wrong

BobB52

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
CehowardNote4

Assistance please.
I just bought my Note 4 Wed. and it came with a 32gig card. I want to install a sandisk 64-which I have- and would appreciate if you would provide suggestions as to how to remove the existing card in that slot which is difficult to remove. Maybe a thin knife to get the plastic section to lift out of the slot?

BobB52

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Unlike SIM cards, Micro SD cards have a ridge that makes them easy to remove by pulling.
Make sure you are not confusing the SIM card for Micro SD card. The Micro SD card slot is closer to the camera and marked “microSD.” On new phones the Micro SD card slot is usually empty.

To remove a Micro SD card, hook the ridge with nail, and pull the card out.

HTH

Nobbb

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
CehowardNote4

Assistance please.
I just bought my Note 4 Wed. and it came with a 32gig card. I want to install a sandisk 64-which I have- and would appreciate if you would provide suggestions as to how to remove the existing card in that slot which is difficult to remove. Maybe a thin knife to get the plastic section to lift out of the slot?

BobB52

You do not need a knife at all and I would strongly advise you not to use any sharp object.
You can just use your finger and pull it out. There should be a small thick handle on the end of the micro sd card.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
My SanDisk 64GB card had been repeatedly un- mounting so I bought a Samsung 64 off Amazon on black friday.

Rocking the Note 4

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
CehowardNote4

Assistance please.

BobB52

I see you got help. Please no knife.:D

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
My SanDisk 64GB card had been repeatedly un- mounting so I bought a Samsung 64 off Amazon on black friday.

Rocking the Note 4

I think Samsung makes great products besides tvs and some people would argue phones as well . I love Samsung phones but won't try a budget Samsung TV ....had dead pixels and this weird green hue to the screen when I bought it and was the cheapest model series the 4000 series I think it was

ucantcme73

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Lol eBay is known to sell cheap crap from China .....I wouldn't trust eBay ever ....

Yeah I got screwed on eBay buying a battery for my camcorder. It ended up being a counterfeit battery made in China which I wasn't made aware of until it got to my home. Battery lasted like 2 weeks before it wouldn't hold a charge anymore. Haven't purchased from eBay since.

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow you are just lazy. Read your sellers feedback. Only buy from the states. I have over 500 transactions with no regrets. You must be an easy target, that's all I can say.

Sent from my HTC One M8

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I know how to buy from Ebay. You can read the feedback all you want, but guess what? You just might be the first to give that person their first negative. If you really know Ebay, then you know that most sellers never see the product they sell. They are only the middle man. Ask how many people on here have been burned by buying from an American seller. Do you read the labels of the products you buy? Most are made overseas. I don't buy Ebay batteries or SD cards, and I don't advise others to do so. If you do, you are taking a risk.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Consumer commentary in websites has to be taken with a grain of salt. The first problem is that you don't know who's talking. When you hear someone say "Best camcorder ever," is this someone who has evaluated 70 of them, or someone who got their first one? The second problem is that feedback, reviews--these days there are companies manipulating them in one fashion or another. You go onto Amazon and look at reviews at new ebooks and it seems sometimes like half of them were based on copies sent out by the author to selected people chosen by the author. The review may in fact be honest--but the entire process is grossly distorted when people, particularly people who may not know the genre they're reviewing, are being solicited aggressively for reviews and handpicked by the creative professional. Good, bad or indifferent--whatever arguments one wants to present--one thing is clear: the very nature of the process has been changed by the creative professional. It was supposed to be a random selection of people motivated only by their like or dislike of the product. Now, it's a chosen selection of people with incentives --and obligations--to produce reviews and look upon the author kindly.

This happens with other products, too. I left a negative review once of an Anker product. After some discussion with a CSR, they conceded I had a point in why I disliked the product. They offered me a refund. While (happily and to their credit) they didn't condition the refund on my withdrawing the negative review, they were fairly aggressive in suggesting that the review be withdrawn. If I did that, it distorts the review process and leaves only the Pollyanna part. My position was--thanks very much, but the product still has an inherent problem that other people are entitled to know about. I'm not deleting it just because you offered a refund.

When it comes to "ratings" of sellers, there have been countless scandals on how those are pumped up, too. Networks of people supporting each other, making $5 purchases to then be counted as reliable on $3,000 sales, or whatever...

I am by no means claiming all of online feedback is useless. But certainly you sure better take it with a grain of salt. Or two or three grains. That's the only point.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Consumer commentary in websites has to be taken with a grain of salt. The first problem is that you don't know who's talking. When you hear someone say "Best camcorder ever," is this someone who has evaluated 70 of them, or someone who got their first one? The second problem is that feedback, reviews--these days there are companies manipulating them in one fashion or another. You go onto Amazon and look at reviews at new ebooks and it seems sometimes like half of them were based on copies sent out by the author to selected people chosen by the author. The review may in fact be honest--but the entire process is grossly distorted when people, particularly people who may not know the genre they're reviewing, are being solicited aggressively for reviews and handpicked by the creative professional. Good, bad or indifferent--whatever arguments one wants to present--one thing is clear: the very nature of the process has been changed by the creative professional. It was supposed to be a random selection of people motivated only by their like or dislike of the product. Now, it's a chosen selection of people with incentives --and obligations--to produce reviews and look upon the author kindly.

This happens with other products, too. I left a negative review once of an Anker product. After some discussion with a CSR, they conceded I had a point in why I disliked the product. They offered me a refund. While (happily and to their credit) they didn't condition the refund on my withdrawing the negative review, they were fairly aggressive in suggesting that the review be withdrawn. If I did that, it distorts the review process and leaves only the Pollyanna part. My position was--thanks very much, but the product still has an inherent problem that other people are entitled to know about. I'm not deleting it just because you offered a refund.

When it comes to "ratings" of sellers, there have been countless scandals on how those are pumped up, too. Networks of people supporting each other, making $5 purchases to then be counted as reliable on $3,000 sales, or whatever...

I am by no means claiming all of online feedback is useless. But certainly you sure better take it with a grain of salt. Or two or three grains. That's the only point.

Really ? I love Anker products in general and do get some free stuff to review every once in a while though I find one of their products to break down a bit since its on its 2nd replacement but find them to be sturdy. I didn't find them to be such aggressive on my average review of a product.

I have a 100% eBay seller rating myself because I pay on time and send stuff correctly and etc .

You just need to actually read the ratings and not just look at the number