Ottertox Defender: My Review for the Note 4

AlfieBriggs

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I purchased the Ottertox Defender about a week ago (pun intended). I am very impressed with, the protection is second to none and I feel safe using my phone in any environment which is great and the best feature by far, I have removed the screen protector as it was awful, I had some trouble with the adhesive removal but overall it's now way better, I don't mind the bulk and if you can hack that then buy it! It feels so safe and nice, just a reassurance for me.

Posted via my amazing Note 4 paired with my Moto360

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My only problem is getting the phone out of the holster fast when the phone rings. I'm starting to get a little arthritic in my fingers, and that clip is tight. (Which is good, of course.) The clip is also pretty strong. I think you'd break the case before you'd break the clip, although the clips are only $9 if you break one. And when you hold the case with the phone in it, you feel quality - the build feel of the Defender is better than the build feel of the phone itself. It's my case of choice for any phone now. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. (For anyone wondering, no, it's not water resistant. Use zip lock bags for that.)

AlfieBriggs

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I wish it was water resistant, waiting for Lifeproof I've took off the screen protector as I stated, much better.

Posted via my amazing Note 4 paired with my Moto360

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Does not using the screen protector make any difference on the fit of the case itself? I'm interested in the Defender but don't want to use a screen protector.

rpsilva95

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I have always taken the protector off because it never sits flush to the screen and it is irritating. I would much rather pay the money for a good screen protector.

Posted via the Android Central App

94gixxerod

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have used the Defender for a Rezound, Note 2 and, now, the Note 4. I don't remove the screen, as I am satisfied its performance, although after a year or so of use, the screen becomes a bit dodgy.
I appreciate the quality of the Defender and I like how it feels in my fairly large hands. I have found you do have to pay attention to the holster when you sit down, especially in a car, as the clip can snap off from the holster. Like many things, the more I use it, the more comfortable I become with its form factor.

rem0us

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I received the defender for christmas and right away I thought about the bulk it adds to the phone and how dissatisfied i would be with it. Otterbox really stepped their game up in slimming down the cases. I tried the defender for my note 2 and it was just a brick, i couldn't deal with it. The note 4's defender case is awesome! Doesn't make the phone too much bigger than it already is. I highly recommend it. It also gives the phone much better grip in handling it. I also removed the built in screen protector because I have a zagg glass protector on it. If you are hesitant on removing the screen just go ahead and do it and contact otterbox they will send you another one with their warranty for free.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I just worry about the hard plastic interior shell damaging the painted sides of the phone after time. :-\
The phone is squeezed pretty tight against those interior raised ridges inside.

What you think?

bharding08

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I coulda swore i read something about them announcing they won't because of the s pen. Not 100 percent sure though so don't hold me to it!

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I coulda swore i read something about them announcing they won't because of the s pen. Not 100 percent sure though so don't hold me to it!

It's easier to take off than the note 3 case was... What a pita

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4

arjun90

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Its definitely easier to take off than how it was with my Note 2.

However, However, However,

I've been having problems while placing the phone into the polycarbonate shell. I've sent a warranty request to replace the inner shell, specifically, because mine was Made in the USA and does not fit the Note 4 properly; the device doesn't full sit flushed, its too tight around all four corners (not equally in place either and appears lopsided), I'm not going to put any force, otherwise I will get scratches. I had another Otterbox Defender for the Note 4 which I returned to Best Buy back in November and the polycarbonate shell was Made in China and had no issues whatsoever, the phone sat flushed within the shell, no resistance, perfect fit. I hope the warranty replacement is not Made in the USA otherwise I will return the item for a full refund and dispute with Paypal. It's absurd.

Maggie Pantsvanilla

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I had a seidio waterproof case for my note 3, worked great. Sprint rep tried telling me there wouldnt be a waterproof case for Note 4 because of the S pen and there wasnt one for the Note 3. When i showed him my waterproof case he told me it wasnt really waterproof, and didnt believe me when i told him I had it in a pool all summer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois