Ottertox Defender: My Review for the Note 4

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem with clips breaking off of holsters is that the phone is actually too large for a holster when you're sitting. It's inevitable with the phone's size in a Defender case that it will dig into your body and somethings got to give. In this case the phone's clip. The solution is using a carrying pouch (thanks to arjun90 on xda forums for telling me about using a pouch) instead of the holster because the pouch will have give in it a hard plastic holster doesn't.

This carrying pouch with a window I think is an ideal solution but unfortunately isn't large enough to accommodate a N4 in a Defender case. You also have water resistance as an added bonus. My hunt continues for a pouch like this that will fit the Defender.

Beltpod SmartView Sumo™ - Now in stock - ready to ship!

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem with clips breaking off of holsters is that the phone is actually too large for a holster when you're sitting. It's inevitable with the phone's size in a Defender case that it will dig into your body and somethings got to give. In this case the phone's clip. The solution is using a carrying pouch (thanks to arjun90 on xda forums for telling me about using a pouch) instead of the holster because the pouch will have give in it a hard plastic holster doesn't.

This carrying pouch with a window I think is an ideal solution but unfortunately isn't large enough to accommodate a N4 in a Defender case. You also have water resistance as an added bonus. My hunt continues for a pouch like this that will fit the Defender.

Beltpod SmartView Sumo™ - Now in stock - ready to ship!

What do you think about this one? I have a couple Colonel Littleton bags and they are "Top Notch" when it comes to quality and well worth the high prices.

Would like to order one of these up and see if the Note 4 in the Defender would fit.

Leather iPhone Case Holster Beltloop No. 49 | Best | Col. Littleton

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I think the landscape orientation would be a lot more comfortable when seated because of the N4's height in the portrait orientation. I think wearing the case vertically would have the top digging into your side a lot more than in landscape mode. Don't know for sure but I'm ordering a landscape orientation one for that reason. Plus I'm thinking the phone is easier to grab & remove from the case in the landscape orientation because you can grip more phone & it's better balanced. Those are great looking cases BTW, love the alligator & lizard skin ones.

Black Brown Leather iPhone Case Holster No. 48 Brown | USA Made | Col. Littleton

I did see one on ebay last night that fits the N4 w/ Defender but I'm not sure it was real leather. Definitely nowhere near as nice as the Colonel Littleton ones. Unfortunately I didn't save that link because I was trying to find a rugged nylon one. After a couple of hours I finally did find one and ordered it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4255587

After I get it & my Defender and have had a chance to use it for a little while I'll comment on how it turned out.

The case with the window is the ideal solution but I can't find one that fits a highly protective case. Those window cases are made by running gear manufacturers and they didn't account for using highly protective cases (or for that matter even slimmer cases) on these phones which I think most owners have. Somebody needs to offer a window case with a zipper top that accommodates large phones w/ cases. Side benefit is water resistance compared to using a holster even for the case I'm ordering.

Last edited:

Sandro Curia

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a Otterbox defender on my note 4 and I'm disappointed with the case I dropped it knee high in the case and it still scratched the white paint off near the headphones jack I thought this case was supposed to protect the phone not damage it

Posted via the Android Central App

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a Otterbox defender on my note 4 and I'm disappointed with the case I dropped it knee high in the case and it still scratched the white paint off near the headphones jack I thought this case was supposed to protect the phone not damage it

Can you post a picture showing this damage? Thanks.

Mine is damaging the clear Qualcomm 4g sticker in this same area.

Sandro Curia

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I live in Canada I payed $110 for the Defender case that is supposed to protect my phone its not like I dropped it 10' I dropped it knee high and it still scratched the phone I might as well bought one of those knock off defender case for $20

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I live in Canada I payed $110 for the Defender case that is supposed to protect my phone its not like I dropped it 10' I dropped it knee high and it still scratched the phone I might as well bought one of those knock off defender case for $20

Yea, that is why I worry about my phone in the Defender case. That hard plastic interior with those raised bumps are sure going to scratch or wear the paint down on the sides of the note 4 sooner or later. Did the shell separate inside the silicone lining when you dropped it?

This is why I like the Commuter, soft silicone liner that won't scratch the phone.

Sandro Curia

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
No the shell was intact like I said it was a simple below the knee drop I couldn't believe that happened

Sandro Curia

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
What sucks is I'm stuck with a case like this because I'm a construction worker and I really don't no what else is out there for what I need

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
There is the Pelican ProGear or Ballistic Tough Jacket Maxx. I have not seen either in person.
If you look close near the four raised corner side edges of you phone I believe that you will see where the Defender case is rubbing and damaging the painted sides of the Note 4.

I'm putting my phone back into the Commuter for now.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Defender and if it scratches my phone unfortunately I'll have a scratched phone. I never take my phone out of the case unless to do a hard reset or clean the underside of the Defender's screen, something that would require taking the phone out of the case. And unless there's a trade up deal like there was this time (and it requires trading specifically the N4, otherwise I'd trade my S3 I'm using for a backup now) I'll keep it as a backup when I get my next phone. So far my biggest criticism of the Defender is the kickstand on the holster, it's so unstable it's just barely usable as a kickstand. I've never had an Otterbox before and so many people that have them for the N4 praised them so I thought I'd give one a try.

Only thing I'm undecided about is what to use for a screen protector. I've got the iCarez glass on and the Defender still has it's built in protector so the response to touch inputs has to be very deliberate. The S Pen seems to work well with S Note but not very well with Evernote. Only thing I like about the iCarez glass is no halo, it's a fingerprint & dust magnet and I'm thinking about sending it back but don't know what to replace it with.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Defender and if it scratches my phone unfortunately I'll have a scratched phone. I never take my phone out of the case unless to do a hard reset or clean the underside of the Defender's screen, something that would require taking the phone out of the case. And unless there's a trade up deal like there was this time (and it requires trading specifically the N4, otherwise I'd trade my S3 I'm using for a backup now) I'll keep it as a backup when I get my next phone. So far my biggest criticism of the Defender is the kickstand on the holster, it's so unstable it's just barely usable as a kickstand. I've never had an Otterbox before and so many people that have them for the N4 praised them so I thought I'd give one a try.

Only thing I'm undecided about is what to use for a screen protector. I've got the iCarez glass on and the Defender still has it's built in protector so the response to touch inputs has to be very deliberate. The S Pen seems to work well with S Note but not very well with Evernote. Only thing I like about the iCarez glass is no halo, it's a fingerprint & dust magnet and I'm thinking about sending it back but don't know what to replace it with.

I can confirm that the hard plastic shell will damage the painted sides of the Note 4. Had my white Note 4 in the Defender for a couple of weeks and I have damage on all four corners where they slope into the sides. As soon as I noticed my phone came right out of the Defender and went into the Commuter.

Got a couple of Ballistic Tough Jacket Maxx and Tough Jacket. They were so cheap on Amazon I ordered two up to play with.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the case scratching from the Defender case. If figures that it comes to light right after I get one. The Ballistic Tough Jacket Maxx was my other choice, in fact that was my original choice back in early November but it wasn't yet available. So I ordered the Seido Surface & had to wait 3 months for Seidio to release the Convert Add On kit which turned out to be total garbage. Let me know if you don't mind how the Tough Jacket Maxx is (I think if you want a kickstand it has to the Maxx because the kickstand is on the holster.) The Defender's kickstand is really lousy.

Between the cases & the glass protector w/o halo I'm really fed up with all the time it's taken me to accessorize this phone so it's functional for me.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the case scratching from the Defender case. If figures that it comes to light right after I get one. The Ballistic Tough Jacket Maxx was my other choice, in fact that was my original choice back in early November but it wasn't yet available. So I ordered the Seido Surface & had to wait 3 months for Seidio to release the Convert Add On kit which turned out to be total garbage. Let me know if you don't mind how the Tough Jacket Maxx is (I think if you want a kickstand it has to the Maxx because the kickstand is on the holster.) The Defender's kickstand is really lousy.

Between the cases & the glass protector w/o halo I'm really fed up with all the time it's taken me to accessorize this phone so it's functional for me.

Got in the Ballistic cases today and they are not that bad at all. They feel great in the hand, the power and volume buttons have the best feel and operation of any case I've tried yet. The rubber liner is very soft, feels nice and I can guarantee it will not scratch or harm the Note 4. One major flaw is this rubber below the home button. I do not believe that you would be able to use the fingerprint scanner and just pushing the home button the rubber feels in the way.

Also this rubber will sag below the home button and at the top from just taking the phone in and out of a pocket. I don't believe that it will be long before it's all loose, hanging and saggy. :( I used the rubber from the Maxx with the port covers on the regular tough jacket black & white shell.
Amazon has the Tough Jacket for $15. and the Tough Jacket Maxx for $20. so they were pretty cheap. The screen protector included with the Maxx is a cheap feeling POS that I would never even try. The belt clip seems OK but again it's something I'll never use.
I'll see how it holds up after a couple days of use and report back. Here's a couple of pictures. :p

bal00.jpgbal02.jpgbal03.jpgbal04.jpgbal05.jpg

adock22096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tried getting a skin to put on the painted portion of the phone to protect it from the case? I just got this case and like it but don't want it to scratch the paint.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
There have only been a couple of Defender owners that posted about the paint scratching problem, the overwhelming majority of Defender owners that posted about it do not have any paint scratching myself included.

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the Defender in the last hour. I'm actually using a screen protector underneath the otterbox screen protection! My touches need to be more deliberate, but when doing hard, sweaty outdoor work... that might actually be a feature. I'll probably remove my one of the screen protectors at some point, but will see if I can tolerate it as is for now.
I'm not worried about minor scuffs one bit.
Oh, and it is nice that the defender isn't such a beastly sized thing anymore.

sidenote: I've had the note 4 for a few months now and finding it to be flawless. I did the upgrade to lollipop without any prep work (didn't reset the phone or anything else) and there are no issues.... strong battery life, no shutdowns or any bugginess... very stable. I must say that the S6 "active" looks very interesting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer