01-07-2016 04:04 PM
43 12
tools
    I purchased the Ottertox Defender about a week ago (pun intended). I am very impressed with, the protection is second to none and I feel safe using my phone in any environment which is great and the best feature by far, I have removed the screen protector as it was awful, I had some trouble with the adhesive removal but overall it's now way better, I don't mind the bulk and if you can hack that then buy it! It feels so safe and nice, just a reassurance for me.

Posted via my amazing Note 4 paired with my Moto360
    01-02-2015 04:17 PM
    My only problem is getting the phone out of the holster fast when the phone rings. I'm starting to get a little arthritic in my fingers, and that clip is tight. (Which is good, of course.) The clip is also pretty strong. I think you'd break the case before you'd break the clip, although the clips are only $9 if you break one. And when you hold the case with the phone in it, you feel quality - the build feel of the Defender is better than the build feel of the phone itself. It's my case of choice for any phone now. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. (For anyone wondering, no, it's not water resistant. Use zip lock bags for that.)
    01-02-2015 05:04 PM
    I wish it was water resistant, waiting for Lifeproof I've took off the screen protector as I stated, much better.

01-03-2015 07:44 AM
    Does not using the screen protector make any difference on the fit of the case itself? I'm interested in the Defender but don't want to use a screen protector.
    01-03-2015 11:27 AM
    I have always taken the protector off because it never sits flush to the screen and it is irritating. I would much rather pay the money for a good screen protector.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-03-2015 11:37 AM
    I have used the Defender for a Rezound, Note 2 and, now, the Note 4. I don't remove the screen, as I am satisfied its performance, although after a year or so of use, the screen becomes a bit dodgy.
    I appreciate the quality of the Defender and I like how it feels in my fairly large hands. I have found you do have to pay attention to the holster when you sit down, especially in a car, as the clip can snap off from the holster. Like many things, the more I use it, the more comfortable I become with its form factor.

huntnyc likes this.
    01-03-2015 11:56 AM
    I received the defender for christmas and right away I thought about the bulk it adds to the phone and how dissatisfied i would be with it. Otterbox really stepped their game up in slimming down the cases. I tried the defender for my note 2 and it was just a brick, i couldn't deal with it. The note 4's defender case is awesome! Doesn't make the phone too much bigger than it already is. I highly recommend it. It also gives the phone much better grip in handling it. I also removed the built in screen protector because I have a zagg glass protector on it. If you are hesitant on removing the screen just go ahead and do it and contact otterbox they will send you another one with their warranty for free.
    01-03-2015 01:36 PM
    They won't be making a Life proof case for the note 4.

01-03-2015 01:45 PM
    I just worry about the hard plastic interior shell damaging the painted sides of the phone after time.
    The phone is squeezed pretty tight against those interior raised ridges inside.

What you think?
    01-03-2015 01:53 PM
    They won't be making a Life proof case for the note 4.

Where did you get this info from or just your opinion
    01-03-2015 02:53 PM
    Where did you get this info from or just your opinion
    They have never made one for the past Galaxy Notes and I think they will follow suit with the Note 4.
    01-03-2015 02:59 PM
    That's a shame. I used one on both my previous iPhones and was hoping to get the same protection for my N4.
    01-03-2015 05:39 PM
    I coulda swore i read something about them announcing they won't because of the s pen. Not 100 percent sure though so don't hold me to it!

01-03-2015 10:24 PM
    I coulda swore i read something about them announcing they won't because of the s pen. Not 100 percent sure though so don't hold me to it!

It's easier to take off than the note 3 case was... What a pita

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4
    01-04-2015 03:13 AM
    Its definitely easier to take off than how it was with my Note 2.

However, However, However,

I've been having problems while placing the phone into the polycarbonate shell. I've sent a warranty request to replace the inner shell, specifically, because mine was Made in the USA and does not fit the Note 4 properly; the device doesn't full sit flushed, its too tight around all four corners (not equally in place either and appears lopsided), I'm not going to put any force, otherwise I will get scratches. I had another Otterbox Defender for the Note 4 which I returned to Best Buy back in November and the polycarbonate shell was Made in China and had no issues whatsoever, the phone sat flushed within the shell, no resistance, perfect fit. I hope the warranty replacement is not Made in the USA otherwise I will return the item for a full refund and dispute with Paypal. It's absurd.
    felloffthetruck likes this.
    01-04-2015 02:33 PM
    I had a seidio waterproof case for my note 3, worked great. Sprint rep tried telling me there wouldnt be a waterproof case for Note 4 because of the S pen and there wasnt one for the Note 3. When i showed him my waterproof case he told me it wasnt really waterproof, and didnt believe me when i told him I had it in a pool all summer.

01-05-2015 08:19 PM
    Still happy guys!

felloffthetruck likes this.
    01-08-2015 03:17 PM
    Here's mine with the stock Defender screen protector removed and the Otterbox Alpha glass installed.

Attachment 159065Attachment 159066Attachment 159067
    Tabbiel1989 likes this.
    01-13-2015 07:47 PM
    Does this work with zagg glass? And has anyone noticed scratches on their chamfered edges from this case?
    02-25-2015 08:31 PM
    Does this work with zagg glass? And has anyone noticed scratches on their chamfered edges from this case?
    Yes, I had the Zagg glass on before the Alpha.
    I have not noticed any scratches but the clear Qualcomm 4G sticker is getting kind of messed up from the Defender case.
    adock22096 likes this.
    02-25-2015 08:52 PM
    I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem with clips breaking off of holsters is that the phone is actually too large for a holster when you're sitting. It's inevitable with the phone's size in a Defender case that it will dig into your body and somethings got to give. In this case the phone's clip. The solution is using a carrying pouch (thanks to arjun90 on xda forums for telling me about using a pouch) instead of the holster because the pouch will have give in it a hard plastic holster doesn't.

This carrying pouch with a window I think is an ideal solution but unfortunately isn't large enough to accommodate a N4 in a Defender case. You also have water resistance as an added bonus. My hunt continues for a pouch like this that will fit the Defender.

Beltpod SmartView Sumo™ - Now in stock - ready to ship!
    02-27-2015 12:35 AM
    I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem with clips breaking off of holsters is that the phone is actually too large for a holster when you're sitting. It's inevitable with the phone's size in a Defender case that it will dig into your body and somethings got to give. In this case the phone's clip. The solution is using a carrying pouch (thanks to arjun90 on xda forums for telling me about using a pouch) instead of the holster because the pouch will have give in it a hard plastic holster doesn't.

This carrying pouch with a window I think is an ideal solution but unfortunately isn't large enough to accommodate a N4 in a Defender case. You also have water resistance as an added bonus. My hunt continues for a pouch like this that will fit the Defender.

Beltpod SmartView Sumo™ - Now in stock - ready to ship!
    What do you think about this one? I have a couple Colonel Littleton bags and they are "Top Notch" when it comes to quality and well worth the high prices.

Would like to order one of these up and see if the Note 4 in the Defender would fit.

Leather iPhone Case Holster Beltloop No. 49 | Best | Col. Littleton
    02-27-2015 09:15 AM
    I think the landscape orientation would be a lot more comfortable when seated because of the N4's height in the portrait orientation. I think wearing the case vertically would have the top digging into your side a lot more than in landscape mode. Don't know for sure but I'm ordering a landscape orientation one for that reason. Plus I'm thinking the phone is easier to grab & remove from the case in the landscape orientation because you can grip more phone & it's better balanced. Those are great looking cases BTW, love the alligator & lizard skin ones.

Black Brown Leather iPhone Case Holster No. 48 Brown | USA Made | Col. Littleton

I did see one on ebay last night that fits the N4 w/ Defender but I'm not sure it was real leather. Definitely nowhere near as nice as the Colonel Littleton ones. Unfortunately I didn't save that link because I was trying to find a rugged nylon one. After a couple of hours I finally did find one and ordered it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cUvbUpU4255587

After I get it & my Defender and have had a chance to use it for a little while I'll comment on how it turned out.

The case with the window is the ideal solution but I can't find one that fits a highly protective case. Those window cases are made by running gear manufacturers and they didn't account for using highly protective cases (or for that matter even slimmer cases) on these phones which I think most owners have. Somebody needs to offer a window case with a zipper top that accommodates large phones w/ cases. Side benefit is water resistance compared to using a holster even for the case I'm ordering.
    02-27-2015 12:01 PM
    I have a Otterbox defender on my note 4 and I'm disappointed with the case I dropped it knee high in the case and it still scratched the white paint off near the headphones jack I thought this case was supposed to protect the phone not damage it

03-08-2015 04:25 PM
    I have a Otterbox defender on my note 4 and I'm disappointed with the case I dropped it knee high in the case and it still scratched the white paint off near the headphones jack I thought this case was supposed to protect the phone not damage it

Can you post a picture showing this damage? Thanks.

Mine is damaging the clear Qualcomm 4g sticker in this same area.
    03-08-2015 04:28 PM
43 12