I had been using tech 21 cases for my last few phones (droid maxx, droid turbo) but i had always used the otterbox defender for my note 2 and note 3.

I liked the tech 21 case, its slim and still allows you to see how nice the phone is, but after the snow last week and being out n the weather w my phone at work, i decided to go ahead and get an otterbox defender for the added protection.

In glad the defender isnt as bulky as the note 2 versions, it adds to the phone with out being too much.

Verizon Note4 w/ Otterbox Defender
    02-21-2015 11:29 AM
    FYI Defender is NO longer Water Resist just FYI
    02-21-2015 11:31 AM
    I am pretty happy with ballistic urbanite. It has bulges at the corner to provide bear defender protection at a smaller form factor. Also the outer shell on the defender gets marked up after a while

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    02-21-2015 11:39 AM
    I realize its not water resist, but in the rain its alway kept the water off the phone.

I do wish the rubber still covered the home button, that was a big improvement from the 2 to the 3, but w the fingerprint scanner they couldnt do that. Heck i dont even use the fingerprint scanner.

aximtreo likes this.
    02-21-2015 12:05 PM
    I had a defender on my S3 and literally dropped the phone over 100 times and it still worked great but I want something less bulky for my note. Thinking maybe the otter box symmetey or one of the Spigen cases. The only problem is both look slippery.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-21-2015 03:05 PM
    I had a defender on my S3 and literally dropped the phone over 100 times and it still worked great but I want something less bulky for my note. Thinking maybe the otter box symmetey or one of the Spigen cases. The only problem is both look slippery.

I currently have the symmetry case on my note 4 and the plastic is slightly textured to where it's not slippery in your hand, however sitting atop jeans in a car it will easily slide off.
    02-21-2015 05:07 PM
    02-22-2015 08:41 AM
    I currently have the symmetry case on my note 4 and the plastic is slightly textured to where it's not slippery in your hand, however sitting atop jeans in a car it will easily slide off.
    Hmm. I've been checking out the commuter series and I actually like the look of those better so I'm think I'm going to go in that direction. $30 on Amazon...
    02-22-2015 01:11 PM
    The commuters are good. You wont have the screen cover but if that doesnt matter than its no biggiee.

The thing i dont like w the defender (besides the home button not covered) is that after a few months of in n out of pockets the corners lose form a little. But thats to be expected w soft rubber.

I almost got the commuter, but i like the screen cover too, so ive always bought the defenders.

02-22-2015 01:20 PM
    Hmm. I've been checking out the commuter series and I actually like the look of those better so I'm think I'm going to go in that direction. $30 on Amazon...
    Make sure you purchase from "Ships & Sold by Amazon" or you more then likely will be getting a fake.

I've also got the commuter and it's a great case but a little slippery.

Attachment 164380Attachment 164381

I have removed the stock screen protector from my Defender cases, it sucks pretty bad.
    I'm using Tempered Glass with the Defender (stock protector removed) and it works perfect.
    02-22-2015 02:22 PM
    I have had a defender before but was thinking about going naked with this phone since it looks so good. But after dropping it yesterday I decided to take no chances. But I will say I am happy with the defender case so far. A lot less bulky than previous versions.
    02-22-2015 05:56 PM
    How thick does the commuter make the phone
    02-23-2015 07:15 AM
    How thick does the commuter make the phone
    The commuter is not bad at all. It's much smaller and thinner then the Defender. Here's a couple of pictures of both cases side by side.

Attachment 164495Attachment 164496Attachment 164497
    02-23-2015 08:39 AM
    Otterbox cases tend to deform, at least thats how they are in the past for me. I used a Samsung S-view wallet right now, but on my old Note II I replaced the defender case with a hard plastic UAG case and found it to be much more durable.
    02-26-2015 08:12 AM
    I go naked. I hate.otterboxes too huge and bulky.

03-12-2015 11:31 PM
    03-17-2015 01:59 PM
    Can't wait til I get my otterbox. I won't have to buy another case for a while.

03-18-2015 03:10 PM
    Can't wait til I get my otterbox. I won't have to buy another case for a while.

What color are you getting?
    03-18-2015 09:28 PM
    What color are you getting?
    I'm getting the black one.

03-19-2015 08:47 AM
    Oh well . I got a case today but it was the defender and not the comutter. I thought maybe I read the listing wrong, but it indeed says comutter and not defender. 😠

03-19-2015 03:34 PM
    Oh well . I got a case today but it was the defender and not the comutter. I thought maybe I read the listing wrong, but it indeed says comutter and not defender.

If you got it from eBay it is more then likely a fake.
    03-19-2015 04:58 PM
    Oh well . I got a case today but it was the defender and not the comutter. I thought maybe I read the listing wrong, but it indeed says comutter and not defender. 😠

Okay.
    zkyevolved likes this.
    03-19-2015 04:58 PM
    I got the Defender a couple of weeks ago and since I always buy maximum protection cases the bulk doesn't bother me but what does irritate me is the supposed kickstand on the holster. It continually allows the phone to fall over, by far the worst excuse for a kickstand I've ever used.

I have always used beltclip holsters but I think I'm coming to the conclusion the N4 is just too large to clip on your belt. IMO it looks a little ridiculous. That said the Defender holster does allow outward screen placement which is my preference and I've had no problems using the holster when sitting down.

I haven't gotten around to it yet but I'd say removal of the built in screen protector is mandatory. It has pretty decent fingrerprint resistance (much, much better than the iCarez glass protector) but it traps dust particles underneath the screen and there's no way to avoid that if you want to have access to your fingerprint scanner. My guess is you don't get the screen clarity a glass protector offers either.

So overall I think I'd rate the Defender in the 8-9 range on a 1-10 scale. I think it's a quality piece, offers very good protection in a drop and has a good grip/feel. My biggest complaint by far is the lousy kickstand, almost every time I use it it falls over. Maybe that's why to the best of my knowledge Otterbox on their own website makes no mention of a kickstand. On Amazon they mention the kickstand but not Otterbox. I bought mine directly from Amazon.
    felloffthetruck likes this.
    03-20-2015 04:01 PM