Best Screen Protector with Otterbox Defender

rdimedic

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I am not a fan of the built in screen protector of the otterbox defender so I normally remove it and get something for the phone. I dont like the commuter case because i need maximum protection. Anyone recommend any particular screen protector that would work great with this?

Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am not a fan of the built in screen protector of the otterbox defender so I normally remove it and get something for the phone. I dont like the commuter case because i need maximum protection. Anyone recommend any particular screen protector that would work great with this?

Thanks!

I think screen protectors are based on preference. If you want a really basic screen protector that will get the job done then most will do. Otherwise, you can go with a little more costs and get a tempered glass screen protector which hold up a little better and won't show the light scratches as you normally would see with something else. Take a look here for a good selection: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Screen Protectors - ShopAndroid

Aside from the screen protector and case, how are you liking the Note 4?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the built-in one - you're not going to get one that absorbs more shock than that. (The harder a screen protector is, the more shock it transmits to the screen under it.) I'd rather have to replace the original screen protector once a year than have to replace the glass on the phone. (And you can clean or wash the front case, you can't even safely wet a screen protector that's glued onto the phone.)

rdimedic

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I actually just ordered it today. I had it for a few and went back to my droid turbo, but now I'm finally going back lol. I miss having it

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

I use the Defender w/ it's plastic protector removed. I first used an iCarez glass protector which had no halo but was a dust & fingerprint magnet so I switched to a Zagg HDX a little over a week ago and like it. Which is the best protector is a subjective question, a 9h glass protector offers the best protection against screen breakage and is the best clarity and glides either your finger or the S Pen the best. The Zagg HDX is not 9h tempered glass but it does install w/o a halo and according to Zagg has "HD Clarity & extreme shatter protection". The problem w/ 9h tempered glass protectors is no manufacturer (other than iCarez) to my knowledge has produced one that installs w/o a halo. So I recommend the Zagg HDX as I know it works w/ the Defender case. The top is covered by the case & the sides & bottom are exposed.

The basic problem w/ the N4 is the 2.5 glass the screen is made of. It curves on the edges & different carrier's phones have different curvatures because they're made in different countries.

There is a glass protector thread on xda forums that is about 265 pages long mostly about various brands that didn't install w/o a halo. Two other protectors that are full screen that installed w/o a halo are the Arcadia (which blocks the upper left notification LED) & the Moshi iVisor. I don't know if either will work w/ the Defender because they are full screen.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the built-in one - you're not going to get one that absorbs more shock than that. (The harder a screen protector is, the more shock it transmits to the screen under it.) I'd rather have to replace the original screen protector once a year than have to replace the glass on the phone. (And you can clean or wash the front case, you can't even safely wet a screen protector that's glued onto the phone.)

I can't agree at all with your assessment. How does a plastic built in protector offer more protection against screen breakage than a 9h tempered glass one? Not to mention the Defender's built in plastic protector has terrible clarity & because of the mandatory cut out for the fingerprint scanner/home screen button traps dust particles under the protector between it & the screen necessitating frequent removal for cleaning. The built in plastic screen protector basically ruins the screen clarity. It is a night & day difference when you remove it & install other than a PET film protector.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I actually just bought the zagg hdx. It was buy one get one free too.

If you haven't installed it yet do use the Zagg supplied plastic wedge to hold the hdx on the screen when you're removing the top (non-adhesive side) film protector (film protector for the hdx). This is after you've installed the hdx on the phone's screen. Run the wedge up the screen as you very carefully pull that film protector off. On mine removing that top film protector removed the hdx from the phones screen botching my installation. Zagg has shipped me a replacement which I haven't yet received. Other than the botched install I'm satisfied with the hdx.

It is a compromise because it's not nearly as hard as a 9h tempered glass protector but it does protect the screen, has IMO excellent clarity & installs w/o a halo. I only have to clean it every couple of days vs. the iCarez glass that I had to clean multiple times per day.

One other tip is to install it in your bathroom w/ the shower running on hot. The humidity keeps the dust in the air down. Don't know how familiar you are with installing screen protectors, dust adhering to the adhesive side of the protector is the biggest problem during an install because it has to be removed otherwise the screen won't lay flat on the glass & it's visually very noticeable not to mention a pain to remove. You can't use your fingers because if you did you'd have your fingerprint permanently showing on the adhesive side of the screen protector. Probably the best thing to use is mildly adhesive stickers, one on the top to lift the protector & one on the adhesive side to remove the dust particle. iCarez supplies adhesive dust removal stickers w/ their glass protector and every protector manufacturer should.

To me installing screen protectors is a huge PITA & w/ the N4's 2.5 glass screen you have to get the side to side alignment perfect otherwise you'll end up w/ a halo on the side that's too far off the flat portion of the screen & exposed protector adhesive that will attract dirt that can't be removed.

I've yet to read about any benefit to the 2.5 glass other than a post on xda forums guessing it was for using the VR accessories. Don't know if that's true or not but I do know that 2.5 glass has made it nearly impossible for any manufacturer to offer a 9h glass protector that installs w/o a halo including Zagg. The hdx installs w/o a halo but their 9h tempered glass one does not.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084