Hi, I know it's been asked lots of times before but which case should I buy?
    I currently have an Otterbox commuter on my Note 2, but I have now got a Note 4. I probably drop my phone at least once a day. My Note 2 commuter case is quite damaged - taken a couple of chucks out - but my phone is in perfect condition, so I'm quite keen to stick with Otterbox.

I really don't care about added bulk, my priority is protecting the phone, so its been quite hard to work out from reviews as to which case to get as lots of people don't like bulky cases, but for my butterfingers, bulk isn't an issue.

Ideally I'd like the symmetry as it comes in pretty colours, but worried it won't give strong enough protection. I'm tempted to stick with the commuter as it served me well with my last phone, however the Note 4 version doesn't come with a screen protector, so I then need to choose a screen protector. The defender is tempting as it comes with a screen protector and seems to offer the best protection, but there are some negative reviews about it scratching the phone and I see quite a few people don't use the screen protector but buy a different one.

Have spent what feels like hours researching cases and still can't decide, so would love some advice. Thanks.

PS I really want someone to say go ahead and buy the symmetry with x screen protector as I'd love a pretty case, but more than a pretty case I don't want a cracked screen.
    05-24-2015 12:54 PM
    I use the Defender and have had no problems with it scratching the edges/corners of the phone. In fact more Defender owners have posted they have no scratching issues both here & on xda forums than the few that have posted their phones were scratched.

If I were you I'd get the Defender because it's maximum protection, I very rarely drop my phone (hardly ever) but I still want maximum protection. The Commuter is as you know a highly protective case but the Defender is even more protective. I'm not sure what level of protection the Symmetry offers in comparison to the Commuter. I know neither is as protective as the Defender.

I'm using a Zagg hdx screen protector. Reason you need to replace the Defender's plastic one is primarily because it traps dirt under the protector between the screen from the home button opening & for much better screen clarity.
    rem0us and Liz Christopher like this.
    05-24-2015 01:47 PM
    Thanks that has put my mind at rest. I'll start off by using the protector but will look into the Zagg hdx - thanks.
    05-24-2015 06:22 PM
    Trust me on this one, just order the Zagg hdx. You use a hair dryer to heat the glue on the perimeter of the Defender's built in plastic protector & it pulls off easily. The Defender's plastic protector ruins the phone's beautiful screen, it's literally a night & day difference in how the screen looks w/ the Zagg hdx vs. the Defender's built in plastic protector. I don't know why Otterbox doesn't sell the Defender with or w/o the plastic protector. For that matter I don't know why anyone would want the plastic protector. All it does is ruin the screen clarity & allow dirt to accumulate. It's really that bad.

You'll soon grow tired of having to take the case apart to clean the dirt trapped between the phone's screen & the plastic protector. On a N4 there's no choice but to have an opening for the home button otherwise the fingerprint scanner wouldn't work & that opening allows a lot of crud in.
    rem0us and huntnyc like this.
    05-24-2015 07:56 PM
    I ripped off the plastic screen protector when I opened the package. Had the guy put on a glass protector. Great protection, great screen quality.
    cinnamin and huntnyc like this.
    05-24-2015 09:41 PM
    100% agree with this. I did the exact same thing.

I use the Defender and have had no problems with it scratching the edges/corners of the phone. In fact more Defender owners have posted they have no scratching issues both here & on xda forums than the few that have posted their phones were scratched.

If I were you I'd get the Defender because it's maximum protection, I very rarely drop my phone (hardly ever) but I still want maximum protection. The Commuter is as you know a highly protective case but the Defender is even more protective. I'm not sure what level of protection the Symmetry offers in comparison to the Commuter. I know neither is as protective as the Defender.

I'm using a Zagg hdx screen protector. Reason you need to replace the Defender's plastic one is primarily because it traps dirt under the protector between the screen from the home button opening & for much better screen clarity.
    06-22-2015 08:39 AM
    I use two cases on my phone. I use the Samsung Protective Cover Case, and the Tech 21 case. The Tech 21 case provides great protection, but it has a little bulk. The Samsung Protective Cover Case is thin and has good protection too. The Samsung case is cheap, you can get them on Amazon for less than $20 dollars. It really doesn't look like much, but believe me it does the job. The Tech 21 case is about $40, but with it you should have no worries. Look them both up on youtube. With a good glass screen protector, you should be all good.
    huntnyc likes this.
    06-26-2015 12:39 AM
    +1 for Tech 21 cases. I have had one on my Note 2 since I got it, and on my Windows HTC before that. I drop my phone constantly, frequently from high surfaces onto hard surfaces (like concrete), and Tech 21 keeps my phone safe.
    huntnyc likes this.
    08-18-2015 06:13 PM
    Verus Thor. Itr wider at each corners. for extra protection. I have other cases, ie Spigen etc. I always go back to My verus Thor!

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-13-2015 04:12 PM
    Anyone can suggest the best phone cover to get it on and off easily for battery exchange for a spare battery?
    09-19-2015 11:21 AM
    If protection is your priority...Otterbox Defender; it's big,it's fat, it's ugly, it works.

No scratches to the phone in nearly 3 years use (Note 3, now 4). Bulletproof; was dropped from a motorcycle at speed: no damage to case or phone.
    huntnyc likes this.
    01-12-2016 09:56 AM
    I agree with the Otterbox Defender suggestion. It is truly a tank. It also adds a bunch of bulk, however.

My only problem with it, and it's not an insignificant problem, is that mine has started falling apart. I don't abuse it. In fact I baby it. I've probably dropped the phone three times in the year+ that I've owned the case. I take the phone out once a week and clean the Defender with soap and water. I dry it gently and thoroughly. But the rubber nub covering the charger input on the bottom no longer stays closed and doesn't fit right at all. And the interior plastic case tabs no longer lock, so the case doesn't completely close and lock together before securing it in the rubber outer shell.

I've thought about replacing it, but I'll probably replace the phone with my upgrade in the next 8-9 months so it's probably not worth it at this point.

At $50 +/-, I expected it to last a good bit longer than it has, especially since I take good care of my stuff. But again, it's a great case as far as protection goes. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a more protective case. My phone looks brand new.
    01-13-2016 09:12 PM