Obviously Chromecast sounds amazing for what I'm looking for and it is not too expensive. I want to be able to stream what I am watching off of my Note 4 to my TV which is a Toshiba 46xv640uz(made in 2009 I believe, not sure if all that info matters, and if it does, if it is compatible.) For example streaming Youtube to my TV via Chromecast sounds perfect as well as movies in other apps, etc and in HD quality. For example, I have a 2010 Macbook Pro and a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter that I have tried on my TV a couple times and the quality was horrible, similar to 360p. Is the Chromecast going to give me HD great quality? Depending on if the content I am watching is 720 or 1080p of course? Also if you don't like Chromecast, is there any other item you can recommend? Anyone's input on Chromecast if they do have it is greatly appreciated. Thanks!! Also no idea if this would matter at all but I am rooted on 5.1.1 OK1 firmware. This is what I was going to order before my buddy told me about Chromecast http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ET-H10...cUvbUpU4913229
    12-24-2015 10:02 AM
    Also this Roku looked interesting, opinions between Chromecast or this? http://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streaming...cUvbUpU4913305
    12-24-2015 10:44 AM
    I'm interested in opinions on this as well as I'm considering the same options as the OP.
    12-24-2015 11:13 AM
    Talked to my buddy and he said they're probably almost the same, just the Roku has an actual remote but I want to hear from someone that owns either or :P
    12-24-2015 12:53 PM
    I went ahead with the Chromecast over the Roku due to the price difference and people were saying Chromecast is pretty fast
    12-26-2015 03:05 AM
    Did you get it?
    12-30-2015 06:46 PM
    Imo, the main difference between Roku and Chromecast (besides price) is that Chromecast is for people with smartphones and understand technology. Roku is for people who aren't in the smartphone game....like my mom. She has a Roku. Cool little device, but it doesn't do anything my Chromecast can't.

Not to mention that Chromecast is small and just plugs into the usb on your tv, so you don't have another device to add to your entertainment center and you don't need extra hdmi cables.

Roku may have a remote, but if I cast my phone screen to my tv, then wth do I need a remote for? I'm controlling everything with my phone.
    02-25-2016 03:27 AM
    I think roku has a larger selection of apps and you can also custom add others. The dedicated remote is handy in many ways.
    I don't know how many phones have built in screen mirroring (direct wifi) but that lets you beam direct from phone to tv -no intermediate wifi - anything on the screen with audio. And you don't buy anything.
    02-25-2016 03:35 AM
    If you have a new(er) Samsung Smart TV, you can do screen mirroring without any extra equipment. My living room Sammy TV is like 4 years old and not compatible with my phone for mirroring. So I dropped $35 on a chromecast.

My bedroom TV is a year old and I can mirror with no problem.

And I don't use any of the apps within the chromecast at all. Don't see the point in doing that if I can just cast my phone to the tv and use all the apps on my phone.
    huntnyc likes this.
    02-25-2016 11:34 AM
    When you cast from your phone it uses the phones resources to stream to the TV. If you use the chromecast apps then your phone is free to be used without interrupting the stream, you can also turn off the phone after starting the stream, if you cast the screen, your phone has to stay on.

That's the main difference between casting your screen direct to the TV and using the various chromecast apps.

Posted via the Android Central App
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-01-2016 03:57 PM