How to update OS?

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I am on Android 6.0.1.

One of my apps will soon require 6.0.2.

My phone isn't rooted.

How can I update the OS? I tried doing "check for updates", but it said there are no updates to be had.

Will I lose all my data?

What's easier, to update to 6.0.2, or 7.0?

Can I update my OS without losing my data? I do have things backed up, but I'd rather not go through the process of restoring stuff if I don't have to.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Unfortunately 6.01 was the last version and as support has been dropped for the device, no official firmware is available. Your options are to replace the device or install custom firmware which involves risk.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks.

The app that will require 6.0.2 is used for authentication for something. It looks like I'll now have to receive phone calls instead of push notifications.

Going forward, if I don't want the phone calls, my options are to either replace my phone, or get another compatible device such as a tablet.

I haven't liked some of the design changes with the newer Galaxy Notes:

* Phone is bigger. I don't want a bigger nor smaller phone. This is the right size. This is just about pocketable. Any bigger, and it would be even harder to fit in a pocket, along with other items.

* No more removable battery. I've never had a Galaxy Note 4 battery last more than 12-15 months. At that point, the charge capacity is reduced a lot. It's been easy for me just to buy another battery. If I get phone that doesn't have a removable battery, and the battery life ends up being about the same, I'll have to take it to a repair shop for a battery change, and that's a bigger hassle.

* Fingerprint sensor on rear. To me, I haven't tried a phone with a rear fingerprint sensor, but it seems harder to use, and more error prone. More likely that I wouldn't hit the sensor in the right way.

It seems faster and easier to use, when it's on the front.

Do I have any other phone options? I like the pen with this phone, when I use it, it works well. The other phones with stylus add ons don't seem as good.

I'm not sure of any other phone that meets these requirements.

I suppose I could get a Galaxy Note 5, since that supports the OS that I need.

Other options I see are a Galaxy Flip and Galaxy Fold. The Flip seems cool. Has a side fingerprint sensor, which seems easier to use than a back one.

And the fact that it flips, makes it more pocketable.

But the Flip doesn't come with a built in stylus? Neither does the Fold.

The on screen fingerprint sensor of the Note 10 seems pretty cool, and that it looks like it would work well.

I see the Note 10 regular version finally has a size that's not bigger, it's more comparable to my Note 4. So the phone size would be similar and not too big; and the fingerprint sensor seems about as easy to use as a note 4. The only other point would be the battery, not being removeable, when compared to the Note 4.

I could also just get a tablet which supports the OS that I need. That would be easier, and not involve the data transfer from a Note 4 to a Note 10. It would also be a lot cheaper, I could get a full HD tablet for a little over $200, compared to $730 for a Galaxy Note 10 regular phone.

Are there any issues with transferring text messages and stuff to a Note 10? I use SMS Backup and Restore to back up my text messages.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
What does everyone think about the Note 5, Note 10, Galaxy Flip, Galaxy Fold, with respect to some of the issues I mentioned, and what I'm looking for (not bigger than the Note 4; easy fingerprint sensor; built in stylus, etc.).

Or I could just get a tablet, for this app, instead of a phone.

For the problem app that I mentioned, that is an authentication app, I also tried authenticating via phone call instead of push notification. It was easier than I thought it would be, and still pretty fast, so maybe I don't need to get anything.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not committed to Samsung. While I like a lot of things about the Galaxy Note 4, the bloatware was overwhelming.

The Stylo 5 has a lot of things I'm looking for, and it's affordable. I would definitely consider it.

How is the CPU, compared to the Galaxy Note 4? Do you think it performs well?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks.

The app that will require 6.0.2 is used for authentication for something. It looks like I'll now have to receive phone calls instead of push notifications.

Going forward, if I don't want the phone calls, my options are to either replace my phone, or get another compatible device such as a tablet.

I haven't liked some of the design changes with the newer Galaxy Notes:

* Phone is bigger. I don't want a bigger nor smaller phone. This is the right size. This is just about pocketable. Any bigger, and it would be even harder to fit in a pocket, along with other items.

* No more removable battery. I've never had a Galaxy Note 4 battery last more than 12-15 months. At that point, the charge capacity is reduced a lot. It's been easy for me just to buy another battery. If I get phone that doesn't have a removable battery, and the battery life ends up being about the same, I'll have to take it to a repair shop for a battery change, and that's a bigger hassle.

* Fingerprint sensor on rear. To me, I haven't tried a phone with a rear fingerprint sensor, but it seems harder to use, and more error prone. More likely that I wouldn't hit the sensor in the right way.

It seems faster and easier to use, when it's on the front.

Do I have any other phone options? I like the pen with this phone, when I use it, it works well. The other phones with stylus add ons don't seem as good.

I'm not sure of any other phone that meets these requirements.

I suppose I could get a Galaxy Note 5, since that supports the OS that I need.

Other options I see are a Galaxy Flip and Galaxy Fold. The Flip seems cool. Has a side fingerprint sensor, which seems easier to use than a back one.

And the fact that it flips, makes it more pocketable.

But the Flip doesn't come with a built in stylus? Neither does the Fold.

The on screen fingerprint sensor of the Note 10 seems pretty cool, and that it looks like it would work well.

I see the Note 10 regular version finally has a size that's not bigger, it's more comparable to my Note 4. So the phone size would be similar and not too big; and the fingerprint sensor seems about as easy to use as a note 4. The only other point would be the battery, not being removeable, when compared to the Note 4.

I could also just get a tablet which supports the OS that I need. That would be easier, and not involve the data transfer from a Note 4 to a Note 10. It would also be a lot cheaper, I could get a full HD tablet for a little over $200, compared to $730 for a Galaxy Note 10 regular phone.

Are there any issues with transferring text messages and stuff to a Note 10? I use SMS Backup and Restore to back up my text messages.
The Note 10 is a excellent choice with better stylus experience.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I think compared to the Note 4, it should be fine, considering how old the Note 4. It probably wouldn't be that great for really intensive games, but for everyday use, it should be totally fine.

BTW, the LG Stylo 6 is the latest one: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-Note4,LG-Stylo-6/phones/8577,10807

Oh, and Moto also has a phone with a stylus now: www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-moto-g-stylus/p

Nice, thanks.

I don't play games on my phone, just calls or internet browsing, or lightweight apps.

Anything more intensive, like monitoring security cameras, would just be for a few minutes at most.