Can I remotely take pictures / video with the S pen, on either a Note 4 or Tab S4?

It seems like it might be on some Galaxy devices, but maybe not my specific models of the phone (Note 4) or tablet (Tab S4).

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...samsung-galaxy
    07-16-2021 01:17 PM
    From a quick search it looks like that feature didn't come out until the Note 9 but yes it is possible just not with the N4.

It also looks like starting with the S6, and probably the N6, the palm gesture became available. When enabled showing your palm to the camera will cause it to take a pic. I think it was my S10 I tried this with and it worked for me about 70% of the time and of those over half had a pic of me with my hand up. LOL.
    nuraman00 likes this.
    07-16-2021 09:42 PM
    Normally the S Pen doesn't need a power source and interacts with a digitizer embedded in the phone/tablets screen to sense pressure and even hover above the screen but typically this won't work more than an inch of two away. This is how every S Pen was before the Note 9.

With the Note 9 Samsung added more functionality to the Pen and wanted to make it act as a remote trigger for the camera. The pen needs to establish a wireless connection for this and I believe it uses bluetooth. Regardless Samsung added a capacitor to the S Pen to power it and the phone recharges the capacitor.

So the Note 4 is incapable because it lacks the hardware needed.

I'm not sure which tablet models have the capability to use the pen as a remote.
    nuraman00 likes this.
    07-16-2021 09:59 PM
    Normally the S Pen doesn't need a power source and interacts with a digitizer embedded in the phone/tablets screen to sense pressure and even hover above the screen but typically this won't work more than an inch of two away. This is how every S Pen was before the Note 9.

With the Note 9 Samsung added more functionality to the Pen and wanted to make it act as a remote trigger for the camera. The pen needs to establish a wireless connection for this and I believe it uses bluetooth. Regardless Samsung added a capacitor to the S Pen to power it and the phone recharges the capacitor.

I'm not sure which tablet models have the capability to use the pen as a remote.
    Thanks.

So starting with the Note 9, Samsung added a capacitor.

Yet adding a capacitor, still kept the S pen an inductive stylus? According to the article below, the S pen is an inductive stylus, not a capacitive stylus.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-d...ld%20ever%20be
    07-16-2021 10:25 PM
    I don't know about the capacitor but what I saw was talking about it being Bluetooth. IDK much about the S-Pen but I'm assuming it wasn't Bluetooth before this. It's talked about much more with the N10 and I can kinda remembering seeing reviews that reference this on YouTube when I was looking to buy the S-10.
    nuraman00 likes this.
    07-16-2021 10:30 PM
    Thanks.

So starting with the Note 9, Samsung added a capacitor.

Yet adding a capacitor, still kept the S pen an inductive stylus? According to the article below, the S pen is an inductive stylus, not a capacitive stylus.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-d...ld%20ever%20be
    The capacitor that Samsung added has no impact on how it writes or interacts with the screen, that is still handled by the digitizer in the screen and remains inductive.

The capacitor that is inside the S Pen functions as a battery for it and to my knowledge only powers the wireless connection for the button.
    nuraman00 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-18-2021 11:15 PM

I checked with Samsung Support. Samsung Support says that feature isn't available on any tablets, and they don't know if it will be in the future.
    07-21-2021 05:07 PM