Auto download group messages.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
When using the SMS app in a group chat, with one particular group, when one of them sends me a message, it initially appears as an individual message from the individual contact.

I then have to "download" the message. After it downloads, it then is removed from the individual contact, and appears under the group message.

How can I avoid having to manually download each message each time?

The rest of the group are iPhone users, but I don't know what OS each one is on.

I've had group messages with other contacts, and in other groups, this behavior doesn't happen. Each message sent automatically appears in the group right away, and is fully readable.

I don't have to download it first, in order to see it.

I have a feeling this might be a setting that one or all of the iPhone users have to do.

But they're probably not aware of the problem on my end, so I wanted to ask on here first what should be done.

I can't find any setting that I can change on my end. And as I said, for a different group, I don't have this problem.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Are you using Google messages?

No, the native SMS app on the Galaxy Note 4.

It seems like with certain groups, I have to download the message each time from the individual contact, before it appears in the group chat.

And with other groups, it appears right away in the group chat.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, the native SMS app on the Galaxy Note 4.

It seems like with certain groups, I have to download the message each time from the individual contact, before it appears in the group chat.

And with other groups, it appears right away in the group chat.
It might be worth a try with google messages

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site

Can I use it as the default messaging app, without having to configure anything else? What I mean is can I use it without moving the group to a different app?

I'm hoping this is something I just change on my end, without anyone else changing anything.

I do have other messaging apps which I use too, like WhatsApp and Signal. But I also like the native app too.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Can I use it as the default messaging app, without having to configure anything else? What I mean is can I use it without moving the group to a different app?

I'm hoping this is something I just change on my end, without anyone else changing anything.

I do have other messaging apps which I use too, like WhatsApp and Signal. But I also like the native app too.
I cant say for sure , i dont really have group chats to confirm

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site

Using Google Messages seems to have solved this.

The problematic group chat where I experienced the manual download, doesn't happen. Group messages automatically appear in their group, like they should be.

Seems seamless too, all of my older SMS messages appeared on their own, and I was able to keep using the SMS Backup & Restore app to back up my messages.

I guess this is also helpful because if/when I ever get a new phone, and it's not a Samsung, that I can use a different messages app, Google Messages, and still have the same functionality I'm used to.

Question: This is minor, but is it possible to change the theme / UI so that I don't see my contacts in Google Messages by the first letter of their initial, in a circle? I'm not a fan of that look. Any other visual representation of who I am chatting with, would be better.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Using Google Messages seems to have solved this.

The problematic group chat where I experienced the manual download, doesn't happen. Group messages automatically appear in their group, like they should be.

Seems seamless too, all of my older SMS messages appeared on their own, and I was able to keep using the SMS Backup & Restore app to back up my messages.

I guess this is also helpful because if/when I ever get a new phone, and it's not a Samsung, that I can use a different messages app, Google Messages, and still have the same functionality I'm used to.

Question: This is minor, but is it possible to change the theme / UI so that I don't see my contacts in Google Messages by the first letter of their initial, in a circle? I'm not a fan of that look. Any other visual representation of who I am chatting with, would be better.

Thats great, no not that I'm aware of unfortunately

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well one thing you probably can do is tap on that person>3 dots upper right corner tap>details>change the picture

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
One problem I've seen with Google Messages, is that the messages that it imported from my existing conversations, seem to have holes in them.

From some of the existing conversations, several messages, mostly ones that I've sent, are missing. So I only see one side of a conversation, the ones received.

It doesn't omit all messages I've sent, but I saw enough of them missing today to warrant some concern.

And I haven't found a pattern as to why some conversations are fully complete, and other chats have some of my messages omitted (but even then, not all of them, just some of them).

Any ideas on a fix?

Otherwise, it seems like I have two bad choices:

* Either use Samsung Messages, which will have all of my full chats, but have me manually download messages from a particular group chat:

* Or use Google Messages, which doesn't have the problem of manually downloading group messages, but omits certain messages from my previous chats.

I also tried setting Signal as my default messaging app, but that doesn't import my existing chats.

If I use a non Samsung Messages app, I want something that can easily import my existing chats, like Google Messages did. All I had to do was set Google Messages as my default messaging app, and it imported my chats, although now I realize with some bugs in it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
One problem I've seen with Google Messages, is that the messages that it imported from my existing conversations, seem to have holes in them.

From some of the existing conversations, several messages, mostly ones that I've sent, are missing. So I only see one side of a conversation, the ones received.

It doesn't omit all messages I've sent, but I saw enough of them missing today to warrant some concern.

And I haven't found a pattern as to why some conversations are fully complete, and other chats have some of my messages omitted (but even then, not all of them, just some of them).

Any ideas on a fix?

Otherwise, it seems like I have two bad choices:

* Either use Samsung Messages, which will have all of my full chats, but have me manually download messages from a particular group chat:

* Or use Google Messages, which doesn't have the problem of manually downloading group messages, but omits certain messages from my previous chats.

I also tried setting Signal as my default messaging app, but that doesn't import my existing chats.

If I use a non Samsung Messages app, I want something that can easily import my existing chats, like Google Messages did. All I had to do was set Google Messages as my default messaging app, and it imported my chats, although now I realize with some bugs in it.
Whenever you move from stock message app to a 3rd party it should repopulate what's on the stock one , not sure why it didn't , but try clearing data then force stop the Google message app and see if it repopulate everything from stock message app

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Whenever you move from stock message app to a 3rd party it should repopulate what's on the stock one , not sure why it didn't , but try clearing data then force stop the Google message app and see if it repopulate everything from stock message app

Are you sure if I go to Settings-->Application Manager-->Google Messages-->Storage

and if I do "clear data", it won't delete my messages?

I did try clear cache, it didn't seem to make a difference.

Also, I went to Settings-->Application Manager-->Samsung Messages

And I saw a setting "Send Premium Message", and it was set to "ask".

What do you think that does?

I now changed it to "Always Allow".

I'm still using Google Messages, but that setting looked interesting. Although the problem I had with Samsung messages was receiving group messages, not sending.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Are you sure if I go to Settings-->Application Manager-->Google Messages-->Storage

and if I do "clear data", it won't delete my messages?

I did try clear cache, it didn't seem to make a difference.

Also, I went to Settings-->Application Manager-->Samsung Messages

And I saw a setting "Send Premium Message", and it was set to "ask".

What do you think that does?

I now changed it to "Always Allow".

I'm still using Google Messages, but that setting looked interesting. Although the problem I had with Samsung messages was receiving group messages, not sending.
No clearing data won't erase it should repopulate everything

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084