04-23-2015 11:19 AM
69 123
tools
    I had the note 3 for 9 months and sold it to get the G3, primarily because of reception issues. There were several times I would try to make a call only to be greeted with a message that no service was available. When I finally could make a call it would drop about a minute or 2 in. It got so bad I couldn't even send text messages.

I tried 2 factory resets and never dropped the phone, but to no avail. Since I got the G3 I haven't had a single reception problem. OBV, YMMV
    09-03-2014 08:04 PM
    I had the note 3 for 9 months and sold it to get the G3, primarily because of reception issues. There were several times I would try to make a call only to be greeted with a message that no service was available. When I finally could make a call it would drop about a minute or 2 in. It got so bad I couldn't even send text messages.

I tried 2 factory resets and never dropped the phone, but to no avail. Since I got the G3 I haven't had a single reception problem. OBV, YMMV
    I hope it doesn't come down to choosing a phone based on reception instead of the one I really want.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    09-04-2014 05:20 PM
    I hope it doesn't come down to choosing a phone based on reception instead of the one I really want.

But it isn't a phone without decent reception and you might then just carry a tablet with a built in camera and leave the so called phone at home. IMO, poor reception and call quality becomes a deal breaker, regardless if the device performs great in other respects

Posted via Android Central App
    09-04-2014 06:26 PM
    Have you guys tried in phone dialer setting *#0011# and change wifi power saving setting off for better reception..I have the note 3 Att and haven't experienced the problems you guys have

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-04-2014 10:09 PM
    This was interesting about a change of antennas.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3875426

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    09-05-2014 08:21 AM
    But it isn't a phone without decent reception and you might then just carry a tablet with a built in camera and leave the so called phone at home. IMO, poor reception and call quality becomes a deal breaker, regardless if the device performs great in other respects

Very well said. I loved my note 3, but then it became unusable, pretty hard to love a phone when it can't function like a phone
    brucedbr and DONNA RICHARDSON like this.
    09-05-2014 07:50 PM
    Sucks you guys had so many issues with yours . My T-Mobile one works great. With 1 bar of LTE at work I can pull 20 at my desk and 40 down the hall.
    Attached Thumbnails Note 3 owners, how's your cell reception and antenna?-1409969283990.jpg  
    09-05-2014 09:08 PM
    Edit, sorry. Double post.

09-05-2014 09:32 PM
    This was interesting about a change of antennas.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3875426

Interesting. Maybe they will come out with a new version after release. I just don't see it happening at release. Only one month away, they probably already have boxes of units coming into the warehouses of retailers.

anon8380037 likes this.
    09-05-2014 09:34 PM

Exactly. I guess my point was I should be able to choose any phone I want on Verizon and not have to worry about reception instead of getting a phone based on how good the reception is. All phones should have good reception for that price. I am not a tablet person. I am just hoping the Note 4 is improved in this area so I am not forced into getting something I don't really want.

09-05-2014 10:31 PM
    My Note 3 has the worst reception I have ever had in a cell phone. I'm hoping that the Note 4 is much better, it has to be.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-06-2014 01:25 PM
    I called Verizon this morning peppering them with any question I could think of. Bottom line, they told me that they would transfer me to tech support and they would arrange an overnight shipment of a note 3. I asked if it would be a new phone and she didn't know and said to ask them. She apparently went through the same issue with her note 2 and hasn't had any problems since. She hasn't heard of anyone getting a replacement where it didn't fix the issue. I stayed on hold for about 5 minutes and hung up. I thought I would try the 10 minute sim pull again to see if it would make a difference and call back tomorrow if it didn't. Time without signal was 60% this morning after about an hour. Afterwards, it looked like I had better reception on the phone. But, when I went to use it still said no network for the most part.

09-06-2014 07:51 PM
    I called Verizon this morning peppering them with any question I could think of. Bottom line, they told me that they would transfer me to tech support and they would arrange an overnight shipment of a note 3. I asked if it would be a new phone and she didn't know and said to ask them. She apparently went through the same issue with her note 2 and hasn't had any problems since. She hasn't heard of anyone getting a replacement where it didn't fix the issue. I stayed on hold for about 5 minutes and hung up. I thought I would try the 10 minute sim pull again to see if it would make a difference and call back tomorrow if it didn't. Time without signal was 60% this morning after about an hour. Afterwards, it looked like I had better reception on the phone. But, when I went to use it still said no network for the most part.

Your issues may be phone related. I do know that the Note 3 is weaker other devices that I've used but your case is extreme.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-07-2014 12:09 AM
    I've never had a problem with my note 3 dont jnow who all these folks are who say there having call problem s I'll bet most of them live in a apartment

09-08-2014 08:28 PM
    I can tell you for sure, Phillip, that most of "them" live in a big variety of places. And I don't have call problems in my apartment. It's on the street, in my car, in some buildings...just a big variety of places. And the weird thing is I can be in one area and I get NO service, but 2 days later, I'm in the exact same place and I get 4 bars! No rhyme nor reason behind it.
    09-08-2014 08:46 PM
    I've never had a problem with my note 3 dont jnow who all these folks are who say there having call problem s I'll bet most of them live in a apartment

Nope
    09-09-2014 08:50 PM

.... and we don't live with you and use your phone!
    09-10-2014 05:31 AM

An apartment has nothing to do with it. People get odd signals in stores.. Houses.. Apartments.. Parking garages.. Etc.
    09-10-2014 10:23 AM
    I concur w/ everyone else. Note 2 had a better antenna then the Note 3. I'm with Sprint and have 4g/LTE where I live. Plus I have wifi in my home and at work. So, I have the wifi calling on practically all the time. I'm an exception to the rule and spoiled where as I don't need to rely much on my antenna. When I go to Chicago to visit my hometown, my phone jumps band signals like it's doing the chicken dance. Lol. I'm hoping & praying for an antenna improvement on the Note 4. Please. Praying 🙏
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-14-2014 11:33 AM
    I concur w/ everyone else. Note 2 had a better antenna then the Note 3.
    How do we know that it's the antenna and not the carriers attenuating (tunning down) the signal?

09-14-2014 03:50 PM
    How do we know that it's the antenna and not the carriers attenuating (tunning down) the signal?

Anything is possible, but the actual physical hardware radio antenna is different on my Note 3 from the Note 2. This I know for sure, on the Sprint versions at least.
    09-14-2014 04:08 PM
    Anything is possible, but the actual physical hardware radio antenna is different on my Note 3 from the Note 2. This I know for sure, on the Sprint versions at least.
    That would make sense since the Note 2 isn't Spark enabled and the Note 3 is right? Or was the 2 also enabled? If I'm remembering correctly it wasn't.
    09-14-2014 08:21 PM
    That would make sense since the Note 2 isn't Spark enabled and the Note 3 is right? Or was the 2 also enabled? If I'm remembering correctly it wasn't.
    No, neither the Note 2 or Note 3 is spark inable on the Sprint network. The Note 4 will be the first. But what was disappointing is the Note 2 antenna is dual band while the Note 3 is only signal band. It was a step backwards. Huge controversy last fall, if any of ya'll remember.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-14-2014 08:29 PM
    I started using mine in December after a GS2, and joined AC early January. (it says Christmas day).

I never heard that was a material fact.
    Now they tell me!

I suspected it was a design compromise all along. Oh well.

I too hope they don't take the michael with the Note 4.

09-15-2014 01:55 PM
    I have a note 2 the reception is better than any moto device I had of late. I work in the country and my phone works most of the time. I have friends with the note 3 and they say the reception isnt as good they went to the 3 from the 2. I am hoping that the note 4 has a better radio.
    11-10-2014 05:27 PM
69 123