Note 3 owners, how's your cell reception and antenna?

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I've not read through all the posts yet but I'm glad to see this post. I loved my Note 2 but the N3 reception have been hit or miss at best. I had decent coverage when I was in the Houston area, but I've recently moved to Maryland and my coverage drops in and out all day. Really frustrating. My plans are after the N4 comes out, if it proves to be a better radio in it, I'll switch it out. I'm already on the Edge Program. If the radio doesn't prove to be better, I'll deal for a while until I see something better.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Happening to me too. If I stay in the room with the router its fine but once I leave the room the WiFi randomly stops working and forces me to toggle WiFi off and on. The phone says I'm always connected but it glitches. I mentioned this to Verizon in the past and of course they've heard no such thing. I've been through 4 replacements and same issue each time so I gave up. I'd try and push for an alternative phone (HTC One M8) but its not worth the hassle and Verizon's policy on this as of recently would have my success at 5% or less.

If this is a common occurrence I'll be switching back to a Motorola or HTC phone in due time. I have limited data (2 GB) and can't be dealing with this. Even if it means paying retail which I'm not thrilled about but at least I'd be happy... Hopefully.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

I've never had an issue with the WiFi, but I've struggled with 4G and regular phone reception.

I was really hoping to pay off this Edge plan and stay with my N3, but after the struggles I've had, Looks like I'll be 'Edging Up" again..,.if the N4 proves out

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Little has been promised about improved Note 4 call performance, other than mentioning better noise cancellation when talking in noisy surroundings. I only hope that the Note 4 has a better radio/antenna and that the new metal frame doesn't interfere with reception. (Remember the original IPhone?) In that regard will the all plastic Edge be better?

Posted via Android Central App

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
My Note 3 was decent until the update. Now it stinks! Couldn't be worse. I am probably going to try the Note 4. If I still get bad reception, it's going back for a replacement. If that one still has issues, I may contemplate leaving Verizon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I had the note 3 for 9 months and sold it to get the G3, primarily because of reception issues. There were several times I would try to make a call only to be greeted with a message that no service was available. When I finally could make a call it would drop about a minute or 2 in. It got so bad I couldn't even send text messages.

I tried 2 factory resets and never dropped the phone, but to no avail. Since I got the G3 I haven't had a single reception problem. OBV, YMMV

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I had the note 3 for 9 months and sold it to get the G3, primarily because of reception issues. There were several times I would try to make a call only to be greeted with a message that no service was available. When I finally could make a call it would drop about a minute or 2 in. It got so bad I couldn't even send text messages.

I tried 2 factory resets and never dropped the phone, but to no avail. Since I got the G3 I haven't had a single reception problem. OBV, YMMV

I hope it doesn't come down to choosing a phone based on reception instead of the one I really want.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I hope it doesn't come down to choosing a phone based on reception instead of the one I really want.

But it isn't a phone without decent reception and you might then just carry a tablet with a built in camera and leave the so called phone at home. IMO, poor reception and call quality becomes a deal breaker, regardless if the device performs great in other respects

anon(9013794)

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Have you guys tried in phone dialer setting *#0011# and change wifi power saving setting off for better reception..I have the note 3 Att and haven't experienced the problems you guys have

Posted via the Android Central App

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
But it isn't a phone without decent reception and you might then just carry a tablet with a built in camera and leave the so called phone at home. IMO, poor reception and call quality becomes a deal breaker, regardless if the device performs great in other respects

Very well said. I loved my note 3, but then it became unusable, pretty hard to love a phone when it can't function like a phone

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sucks you guys had so many issues with yours :(. My T-Mobile one works great. With 1 bar of LTE at work I can pull 20 at my desk and 40 down the hall.

Attachments

• 1409969283990.jpg
    1409969283990.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 58

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. I guess my point was I should be able to choose any phone I want on Verizon and not have to worry about reception instead of getting a phone based on how good the reception is. All phones should have good reception for that price. I am not a tablet person. I am just hoping the Note 4 is improved in this area so I am not forced into getting something I don't really want.

Netguysc

May 22, 2012
Visit site
My Note 3 has the worst reception I have ever had in a cell phone. I'm hoping that the Note 4 is much better, it has to be.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon this morning peppering them with any question I could think of. Bottom line, they told me that they would transfer me to tech support and they would arrange an overnight shipment of a note 3. I asked if it would be a new phone and she didn't know and said to ask them. She apparently went through the same issue with her note 2 and hasn't had any problems since. She hasn't heard of anyone getting a replacement where it didn't fix the issue. I stayed on hold for about 5 minutes and hung up. I thought I would try the 10 minute sim pull again to see if it would make a difference and call back tomorrow if it didn't. Time without signal was 60% this morning after about an hour. Afterwards, it looked like I had better reception on the phone. But, when I went to use it still said no network for the most part.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon this morning peppering them with any question I could think of. Bottom line, they told me that they would transfer me to tech support and they would arrange an overnight shipment of a note 3. I asked if it would be a new phone and she didn't know and said to ask them. She apparently went through the same issue with her note 2 and hasn't had any problems since. She hasn't heard of anyone getting a replacement where it didn't fix the issue. I stayed on hold for about 5 minutes and hung up. I thought I would try the 10 minute sim pull again to see if it would make a difference and call back tomorrow if it didn't. Time without signal was 60% this morning after about an hour. Afterwards, it looked like I had better reception on the phone. But, when I went to use it still said no network for the most part.

Your issues may be phone related. I do know that the Note 3 is weaker other devices that I've used but your case is extreme.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I've never had a problem with my note 3 dont jnow who all these folks are who say there having call problem s I'll bet most of them live in a apartment

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you for sure, Phillip, that most of "them" live in a big variety of places. And I don't have call problems in my apartment. It's on the street, in my car, in some buildings...just a big variety of places. And the weird thing is I can be in one area and I get NO service, but 2 days later, I'm in the exact same place and I get 4 bars! No rhyme nor reason behind it.