04-23-2015 11:19 AM
69 123
tools
    My Note 3 running around 104 dbm 48 to 50 asu. My Note 4 runs between 96 to 98 dbm and 40 to 42 asu.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-10-2014 05:34 PM
    I have not had the 2 but have been very frustrated with reception on the 3. Now friends and family are shopping for new phones... how are people liking the 4? Has this issue been resolved? The phone has so many advantages; it seems a shame to have to write it off just because one can't use it as a phone or texting device due to lack of service -- but that's kind of important !! Mine drives me nuts :-( ... I've become very dependent on WiFi and internet messaging apps such as LINE and Viber, but that's not really a good solution either :-p
    Thanks
    DONNA RICHARDSON likes this.
    12-11-2014 12:27 PM
    I stumbled upon this thread via a Google search. I have had reception issues with my Note 3. Calls go directly to voicemail. Data signal drops where I've never had them before. I've had a refurb sent to me and still the same problems. I'm on Verizon. I did a device payment plan and the phone is paid off as of this month. I love Samsung hardware, but I am on the verge of going to Motorola. I had zero issues the Note 2 nor the Droid RAZR MAXX before that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    anon8380037 likes this.
    12-28-2014 09:14 PM
    I stumbled upon this thread via a Google search. I have had reception issues with my Note 3. Calls go directly to voicemail. Data signal drops where I've never had them before. I've had a refurb sent to me and still the same problems. I'm on Verizon. I did a device payment plan and the phone is paid off as of this month. I love Samsung hardware, but I am on the verge of going to Motorola. I had zero issues the Note 2 nor the Droid RAZR MAXX before that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    I guess most people "got by" rather than were thrilled with the reception. Different hardware for different regions and carriers of course. I haven't been following the Note 4 forum too avidly, but it seemed most ex Note 3 owners think it is a step up (it couldn't be a step down!).

I won't change until February at the earliest, and while I seriously consider/ed the BB Passport (it fills my main needs - and good reception), it really may be too much of a switch - not having used BB before (even with android apps).

I have a Moto G as a back up; but I do like the way Samsung do things. The almost plain vanilla android experience is missing a lot I took for granted with 2 Samsungs, so I may go for the Note 4 without getting too excited. The Moto is very likeable and I would like the X or Turbo to try.
    I also used a store Note Edge a few hours ago and it's worth considering if they bring it back to the same price as the 4 (currently +£100.00 outright in UK).

Let us know what you get.
    01-02-2015 06:53 PM
    Hands down my reception is way better with my note 4 that goes for wifi,data and cell phone reception note 3 sucked I would be in Lowe's or home Depot and have no signal with gn3 but with my gn4 I have 2 to 3 bars in the same places!

anon8380037 likes this.
    01-02-2015 08:06 PM
    Hands down my reception is way better with my note 4 that goes for wifi,data and cell phone reception note 3 sucked I would be in Lowe's or home Depot and have no signal with gn3 but with my gn4 I have 2 to 3 bars in the same places!

That's a significant difference. Thanks.
    01-02-2015 08:48 PM
    Little has been promised about improved Note 4 call performance, other than mentioning better noise cancellation when talking in noisy surroundings. I only hope that the Note 4 has a better radio/antenna and that the new metal frame doesn't interfere with reception. (Remember the original IPhone?) In that regard will the all plastic Edge be better?

Posted via Android Central App
    I have a Note 4 and my data connection recently started giving me fits. I got a new sim card and a new back door is on the way. I have been wracking my brain as to what is wrong and for a brief second today wondered if my bling metal case was causing my problems which only recently started. I don't remember exactly but it hasn't been too long that I switched from my Incipio to the bling case. I just took off the bling case, which I love, and will see if this is the issue.

anon8380037 likes this.
    01-02-2015 08:51 PM
    I have a Note 4 and my data connection recently started giving me fits. I got a new sim card and a new back door is on the way. I have been wracking my brain as to what is wrong and for a brief second today wondered if my bling metal case was causing my problems which only recently started. I don't remember exactly but it hasn't been too long that I switched from my Incipio to the bling case. I just took off the bling case, which I love, and will see if this is the issue.

It could well be. Try without for a few days as you say. If they sold many I guess others may be having that issue. Maybe it's not actual metal though.
    01-02-2015 09:15 PM
    The note 2 had a great signal, note 3 slightly less until they updated it in may of 13 and then it was horrible. The 4.4.4 update helped it but it still didn't fix it. I think the note 4 gets a better signal than my note 2 does. This is by side by side comparison tests. I'm very pleased. Now if samsung and Verizon will just leave it alone.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    01-02-2015 10:00 PM
    Sounds just like me!I had note3 ,loved everything about the phone except reception was horrible!Traded for lg g3 and have had not issues with reception.Makes me so mad to have to settle for a phone I don't like nearly as much as I like the note3.I wonder if note4 has same issues?
    anon8380037 likes this.
    01-08-2015 09:50 PM
    Sounds just like me!I had note3 ,loved everything about the phone except reception was horrible!Traded for lg g3 and have had not issues with reception.Makes me so mad to have to settle for a phone I don't like nearly as much as I like the note3.I wonder if note4 has same issues?
    The Note 4 has improved by most accounts.

01-09-2015 12:09 AM
    Just recently started searching the forums on this topic.
    I have a Note 2 on Verizon. When I went searching for a new phone then, it seemed everyone was absolutely impressed with the Note 2's reception. So that is what sold me. I have had it for two years and have never regretted it.
    Great phone and great reception. The issues about reception on the Note 3 is discussed in other forums also. The same comparison between the 2 and 3 is made also. I usually like to stay at least a year behind technology for the savings and giving time for the early adopters (beta testers) to settle my concerns. Well, it looks like I'll be passing on the Note 3.
    I have until may until my contract is up, so hopefully more results will be in on the 4 by then.
    Thanks for this thread.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    01-09-2015 01:01 AM
    I can chime in here as I just upgraded from a Verizon Note 3 to a Note 4. Note 4 is superior on all counts, especially hanging on to an LTE signal in fringe areas. A coworker has a VZW Note 2 and it was definitely a notch above the Note 3 anytime we were side by side (aside from not having XLTE speeds, of course).

I had a new Note 3 purchased at launch and the reception went from mediocre to terrible after the initial KK update. I complained and got a like-new refurb manufactured several months later and it was a huge improvement. Things improved a bit more with the 4.4.4 update. But I got the Note 4 primarily for the improved radios, build, and camera Still missing my microusb 3.0 port, however!
    anon8380037 and qbot101 like this.
    01-09-2015 07:26 AM
    My Note 3 over the past couple of months has sucked. My son as an S5 and it works great. My phone can't get serivice anywhere in my house now, even though my IPad as 5 bars and they are right next to each other. My Note3 drops calls while I am driving and I frequently have to shut it down and restart it to pick up a network.
    02-07-2015 09:56 AM
    I returned my Note 3 for exactly the same reason as mentioned above. Time without signal was terrible, the worst I've seen. Note 4 is great, never any dropped calls and no time without reception since I had it.
    02-07-2015 11:40 AM
    So far, reception has been awesome. It really manages to cling on to those LTE signals in areas with poor coverage. And it switches instantly back to LTE from EDGE as soon as there's even a hint of LTE in the air :-)

Between the 6 Plus, the N6 and the Note 4, the latter definitely has the the best reception. And as an additional perk, the N4's SAR rating is more than 300% lower than that of the other phones I've mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-08-2015 12:18 AM
    I had a note 2 for 2 yrs and had minimal reception probs in my area with it. Got a note 3 last yr and in my area it dropped calls constantly so I went back to the note 2. In Nov 2014, got a Note 4 and it was the same as the note 3. Dropped calls constantly in places where my note 2 and my iphone 5 have no probs. Took that Note 4 back. Decided to try again. Got a note 4 2 days ago and as soon as I got in the area in suspect, I could not have a complete call ever. So I took that note 4 back and got an iphone 6plus and have had zero issues including in the few places where the note 2 will often drop calls. However, I hate the iphone iOS and would get the Note 4 again in a heartbeat if it could hold a "simple" call signal.
    02-12-2015 06:48 PM
    I decided to give Samsung a try again... I took the plunge and got a Note 4 a couple of days ago. It is like night and day. I get all my calls on it. My Note 3 would receive only every other call at home. Heck, I get stronger WiFi signal as well. I think this Note 4 is a keeper. Not sure what Samsung did to the 4 vs the 3, but I am grateful. I didn't want to go back to Motorola.
    02-12-2015 09:22 PM
    The cell tower reception on my Note3 is terrible. I'm on Verizon and experience very poor reception even when seemingly close to available towers. I'll have no service while others around me will have service on their iPhones or other smartphones. Verizon techs have tried to improve the phone's reception, but never with any luck. I still have six months left on my Verizon contract but definitely plan to change to a different phone ASAP. Like the phone but hate the reception.
    04-23-2015 11:19 AM
69 123