09-12-2014 03:14 PM
222 12345 ...
tools
    I have to disagree. I think the optic image stabilization will be amazing. I personally feel the note 3 pictures are not as good as they can be. . Hell, my wife's iPhone 5 takes better pics than my Note 3, which is just sad

Plus I wouldn't count out the. QHD display until you see it in person. I'm excited about that too

sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk
    Don't get me wrong, all that stuff would be welcomed too. But the feature I was most looking forward to was the waterproofing that the S5 has.

I have a good camera. Is it the greatest? No. But it's pretty good.

I have a 1080p display. Is it a qhd? No, but it's still pretty darn good.

I don't have any waterproofing though. If I drop my phone in the hot tub, even for a minute, it's probably dead. If I have it in my pocket while I ride a jet ski, it's probably dead.

The things you mention are improvements over existing features. The waterproofing would be a whole new feature that the Note 3 doesn't have. And since the Galaxy S5 has this feature, not only has it but they hyped it up as a major selling point of the S5, I am stunned and let down that the Note 4 didn't get the feature.
    09-03-2014 06:46 PM
    Yeah but then I could just put it on my Note 3. The waterproof was the only real reason I was planning to upgrade. I'm not really interested in a marginal camera improvement when my Note 3 camera is already great, higher screen resolution when my Note 3 already has a 1080p display and I don't have anything to watch in a higher resolution, or a new touch wiz. For me, the killer feature was the waterproofing. And I realize the S5 is not "drop it in the deepest part of the ocean" waterproof, but it's good enough for use on a boat, jet ski, water ski, hot tub, 4 wheeler, rain storm, and shower.

I'm just bummed. I was really looking forward to it. Hopefully the feature is there when the device is actually released and they just didn't have it on the demo units today.
    I can see clearly where you're coming from now, and why you're bummed. But in the back of your mind you must have known it might not happen.

The S5 is a lifestyle phone, the Note 3 and 4 are, well... different.

Mr Samsung has only our best interests at heart.
    mchi5, Eclipse2K and A895 like this.
    09-03-2014 06:51 PM
    Look at the bottom. Not only does the Note 4 not look waterproof, but if you look closely, it is using the old micro usb 2 port.. That seems weird to me.

Galaxy Note 4: Is it waterproof?-bgr-samsung-galaxy-note-4-51.jpg
    09-03-2014 06:52 PM
    Yeah but then I could just put it on my Note 3. The waterproof was the only real reason I was planning to upgrade. I'm not really interested in a marginal camera improvement when my Note 3 camera is already great, higher screen resolution when my Note 3 already has a 1080p display and I don't have anything to watch in a higher resolution, or a new touch wiz. For me, the killer feature was the waterproofing. And I realize the S5 is not "drop it in the deepest part of the ocean" waterproof, but it's good enough for use on a boat, jet ski, water ski, hot tub, 4 wheeler, rain storm, and shower.

I'm just bummed. I was really looking forward to it. Hopefully the feature is there when the device is actually released and they just didn't have it on the demo units today.
    I can see why you might be upset over the lack of waterproofing. However I can say that the camera will be a substantial improvement over the note 3. I have the S5 and before that I had the note 3 and the difference in the camera is almost like night and day.

Posted from my S5
    mchi5 likes this.
    09-03-2014 07:00 PM
    I can see clearly where you're coming from now, and why you're bummed. But in the back of your mind you must have known it might not happen.

The S5 is a lifestyle phone, the Note 3 and 4 are, well... different.

Mr Samsung has only our best interests at heart.
    Well the S4 was a lifestyle phone too, but the Note 3 wasn't missing any features that the S4 had.

There's no reason the Note can't also be lifestyle phone but still be whatever they want the Note to be. The waterproofing is the only thing through S5 has that the Note 4 doesn't, right?

Maybe it will be a really nice surprise when it launches with the waterproofing.

I don't think the Note 4 should be a step back from the S5 in any way. The only "compromise" (if you can call it that) should be the larger screen size. That's how previous Notes have compared to the Galaxy S series. Don't know why they switched it up this round.
    09-03-2014 07:02 PM
    Look at the bottom. Not only does the Note 4 not look waterproof, but if you look closely, it is using the old micro usb 2 port.. That seems weird to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bgr-samsung-galaxy-note-4-51.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	135231
    Yeah. It's USB 2.0 now.
    09-03-2014 07:09 PM
    I never said it had to be an afterthought but could have easily been including originally and I'm sorry but if it can easily be added to the s5 then it can easily be added to the note 4 smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're saying "easily" without actually knowing how easy it really is. Again, the entire device is designed around this feature. The S5 was designed around being water resistant. That adds cost.

Maybe they wanted to keep the cost similar, and the QHD screen was the difference between the two. Just a guess, but there are targets for these things.
    A895 likes this.
    09-03-2014 07:12 PM
    I think the Notes had different features from day one.
    Going off thread, but I'm more bummed at the shots I've seen with the TouchWiz homescreen and icons from 2011 through to the Note 3.
    I liked and expected the S5 TW with cream on top. That has a better chance of appearing on release than waterproofing I think. That's not going to happen on this particular model they have introduced.
    ON EDIT : OK forget that. It only looked like old TW.
    09-03-2014 07:19 PM
    I think Samsung always meant the note series to be more for "professionals" . People who normally carry a phone and tablet, hence the phablet

Plus the S4 and S5 came out with the Active ranges but Note never did.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk
    anon8380037 and A895 like this.
    09-03-2014 07:23 PM
    I think the design language is the main reason that the Note 4 lacks the IP67 rating. Notice how both Samsung phones with the metal construction, Alpha and Note 4, lack this feature. Perhaps it is easier to seal polycarbonate than metal.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-03-2014 07:38 PM
    I think the design language is the main reason that the Note 4 lacks the IP67 rating. Notice how both Samsung phones with the metal construction, Alpha and Note 4, lack this feature. Perhaps it is easier to seal polycarbonate than metal.

More than likely is. Also notice how Sony devices are waterproof but are made mostly out of glass. I think there is something about metal that makes it not good material for waterproofing.

09-03-2014 08:05 PM

More than likely is. Also notice how Sony devices are waterproof but are made mostly out of glass. I think there is something about metal that makes it not good material for waterproofing.

Wow, great catch. You guys may be onto something here.

Metal is nice, I guess, but I'll take plastic with waterproof if given the choice.

It would be incredibly awesome if there was a version that was plastic and waterproof. I'd buy it on launch day for sure.
    09-03-2014 08:30 PM
    This, along with the October release date are the biggest disappoints for me thus far.

Posted via Android Central App
    I know. The October release date crushed me. Which also doesn't make sense. Telus and Koodo in Canada have stated that they will have the phone ready for launch soon. I have also heard from reliable sources that Samsung Canada is receiving their shipment next week. Why would they wait for a month? Especially when Apple is gearing up for a launch in October or possibly even September. Some things fishy if you ask me.
    09-03-2014 08:40 PM
    You know what's also weird about the release date. They didn't elaborate on this at all. Telus and Koodo have been ranting and raving about it. But Bell and Rogers haven't spoken a peep about it yet! I think something is up with this release date. I think we'll see it sooner than October
    09-03-2014 08:45 PM
    You know what's also weird about the release date. They didn't elaborate on this at all. Telus and Koodo have been ranting and raving about it. But Bell and Rogers haven't spoken a peep about it yet! I think something is up with this release date. I think we'll see it sooner than October
    T-Mobile already has The Note 4 on display. On their website they are saying, "coming in October". Looks like they want to really make sure that they don't have any issues with it.
    09-03-2014 09:04 PM
    No, Note 4 and Note Edge are not water proof according to media rumors.
    09-04-2014 09:39 AM
    I think you need to relax, the Note 3 debuted in October as well and the Note 2 before that did the same thing. It is Septemeber currenty that means in a few weeks we will see it in stores, what is the issue?
    09-04-2014 10:10 AM
    Probably because of the Stylus, they could not make it waterproof. Imagine you forget your stylus one day and there goes your phone in some water. I wonder did they at least make it water resistant? That is useful for the rain or if you spill something on it. Loved it on my Moto devices (Motorola has been doing water resistant/splash proof since the Droid Razr).
    Well nanocoating? like the moto g/x.
    09-04-2014 10:25 AM
    Well nanocoating? like the moto g/x.
    That is what water resistant/spillproofing is. Either way it is not a deal breaker for most considering a lot of phones don't even do spill proofing.

09-04-2014 10:32 AM
    That is what water resistant/spillproofing is. Either way it is not a deal breaker for most considering a lot of phones don't even do spill proofing.

No never had a water damaged phone besides a old Nokia I broke for fun
    09-04-2014 10:33 AM
    I actually washed my old flip phone from 2006 twice and it still worked, all I had to do was let it dry. Best phone ever, it had an old white and black display. It even had animated wallpapers.
    09-04-2014 10:50 AM
    I actually washed my old flip phone from 2006 twice and it still worked, all I had to do was let it dry. Best phone ever, it had an old white and black display. It even had animated wallpapers.
    Haha i one of the most common ways to break a phone

List:
    Dropping it
    The toilet
    The washer

But if you pull the battery\turn it off and dry it fast enough 99% of the time the phone\device survives.
    09-04-2014 10:54 AM
    What phone do you have now just curious I have a GSM galaxy nexus.
    09-04-2014 10:56 AM
    I think you need to relax, the Note 3 debuted in October as well and the Note 2 before that did the same thing. It is Septemeber currenty that means in a few weeks we will see it in stores, what is the issue?
    Don't worry about it, thanks
    09-04-2014 11:25 AM
    I've had phones that had something go wrong and they denied the warranty because the little moisture detection sticker had changed colors, even though the problem had nothing to do with getting wet.

I've also had a few phones die after legitimately getting wet. One time I fell out of the boat while fishing, another time I was fixing a water leak and got too wet, another time my son's phone fell in the sink while he was washing dishes.

This was all over a 15 year period, so it's not like it happens all the time. But I'm also a lot more careful than I would be if it was waterproof. I don't use it in the rain, don't use it in the shower, don't use it at the pool, hot tub, boat, fishing, etc.

I know a lot of you guys don't care about the waterproofing or lack thereof, but you're only 1 unexpected rainstorm away from a dead phone. Odds say it probably won't happen, but why should us Note fans have to take the chance at all if a "lesser" phone (the S5) has the waterproofing feature?

I saw Samsung announced a Galaxy Tab active. So that means Samsung offers waterproof phones, and waterproof tablets, but for some reason the Note got skipped.

Next time you're on a bike ride and it unexpectedly starts raining, it would be helpful if the phone was waterproof.

(disclaimer, I know nothing is ever truly "waterproof" and I use the term loosely, I really mean water resistant, at the same level as the Galaxy S5)
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-04-2014 11:25 AM
222 12345 ...