09-12-2014 04:14 PM
222 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Does the S in Galaxy S really mean sport? I don't think it really does. I always thought it meant Samsung. Which is why they made a Galaxy S active. It wouldn't really make much sense to have an active if it was already a sport model.

I would bet dollars to donuts the Note 5 will be water resistant. They didn't decide "we don't want the phone of "professionals" to be prone to water damage" and it certainly wasn't a technological roadblock that prevented it either.

It was probably a matter of time. They wanted the Note 4 released in October, and they didn't have time to get a water resistant version out by then. Maybe they had issues getting the metal to seal properly, as previous posters speculated, so they went with the water vulnerable version and they'll get the water resistance perfected by next year.

Or maybe it was the cost. Maybe they didn't want to spend the extra money to get it right, and they'll revisit that decision at a later date.

I can guarantee you it's not because they decided "it's for professionals, and professionals hate water so they'll never be around it and would be upset if their phone was water resistant."

There is no law that says a phone can't both be for professionals, and also be water resistant. And there is no law that says since I plan on using my phone in a professional environment, I have to hate it if it's water resistant.

I'm a professional, and I take my Note 3 camping, hiking, hunting, boating, riding, etc, all the time. I also take it to work every day.
    Hi watermelon are,t you very tech savvy for a melon? But I must say the s in the galaxy s series stands for "smart" like smart widget and stuff
    09-05-2014 01:45 AM
    Hahahaha!
    09-05-2014 01:46 AM
    Not solved, lol. Keep my Note 3 and wait for the Note 5, which will surely be waterproof. Now it's solved.

Is not difficult to seal the s pen. Put an o ring around it. Simple.
    Let's eat the galaxy and say to Samsung that you need a new waterproof note 4 since you ate your current one and you can't get it out again and you where trying to protect it against water problem solved
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    09-05-2014 01:48 AM
    There's no reason out couldn't be waterproof, the pen holder in the back could be sealed closed and there's no reason the pen couldn't be water resistant too. It is a real shame, splash proofing phones it's hugely valuable.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-05-2014 04:10 AM
    I don't know. But I think It's not waterproof like S5
    09-05-2014 04:12 AM
    the waterproofing is too much a 'feature' to just leave out when announcing a new major product.

And it Definately was not mentioned at all during the Unpacked event, I watched live & checked out the first hands on reviews online after.

Its certainly a shame - the IP67 rating was a feature I was really wanting in the new Note.

Have to say, the new Note 4 is a little on the bland side in regards to style, very much like the Note 3, but refined.
    Im dead keen to get my mits on the Note Edge though! that is an outstanding design!
    09-05-2014 04:57 AM
    According to recent reports the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 will, like the Galaxy S5 before it, feature a dust and water-resistant coating, which means plastic is most likely going to be the material of choice.

Reports out of the Korean media have claimed the Note 4 will host the same IP67 rating as the S5, meaning it can be submerged in up to one metre of water for 30 minutes without suffering damage. If handed a water-resistant coating, the phone’s USB power connection port will be covered by a protective flap.

Adding further backing to reports of a water-resistant Note 4, serial tipster ETNews has claimed Samsung recently cancelled an order for 5 million LDS (Laser Direct Structuring) antenna in order to snap up H-IMA (High-performance In-Mold Antenna) units, a component reportedly easier to waterproof.
    WatermelonSlim likes this.
    09-05-2014 05:57 AM
    According to recent reports the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 will, like the Galaxy S5 before it, feature a dust and water-resistant coating, which means plastic is most likely going to be the material of choice.

Reports out of the Korean media have claimed the Note 4 will host the same IP67 rating as the S5, meaning it can be submerged in up to one metre of water for 30 minutes without suffering damage. If handed a water-resistant coating, the phone’s USB power connection port will be covered by a protective flap.

Adding further backing to reports of a water-resistant Note 4, serial tipster ETNews has claimed Samsung recently cancelled an order for 5 million LDS (Laser Direct Structuring) antenna in order to snap up H-IMA (High-performance In-Mold Antenna) units, a component reportedly easier to waterproof.
    Probably an early report, but the antennas are interesting. They must have changed the order again.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    09-05-2014 07:14 AM

Boy I sure hope this is accurate! If it's IP67 certified, sign me up! I'll need 4 of them, upgrade the whole family.

Whether it turns out to be waterproof or not, it's pretty irresponsible that nobody asked about it during the launch event.

I've seen a bunch of hands on articles and videos, and just about every tech blog was at the launch event and wrote a piece about it. Yet, strange as it may seem, I don't see where anyone asked if it will be water resistant like the S5.
    09-05-2014 07:37 AM
    I didn't catch the event or follow it up.
    It would be good to have a question and answer media session with Samsung and have them explain their goals in the design, and why they probably did not go with IP67.

Yes they should address the rumours and expectations that it would be waterproof.
    They will not admit if it was cost saving only, of course, but there might be an interesting reason.

That's why the antenna thing was interesting. I wish there was a date on that.

I would easily forego waterproofing for better wifi, GPS and signal reception.

There's a lot to cram in that thing.
    09-05-2014 07:54 AM
    I didn't catch the event or follow it up.
    It would be good to have a question and answer media session with Samsung and have them explain their goals in the design, and why they probably did not go with IP67.

Yes they should address the rumours and expectations that it would be waterproof.
    They will not admit if it was cost saving only, of course, but there might be an interesting reason.

That's why the antenna thing was interesting. I wish there was a date on that.

I would easily forego waterproofing for better wifi, GPS and signal reception.

There's a lot to cram in that thing.
    Maybe we'll get lucky and the final product will be waterproof, but it just wasn't ready at their event.

Or maybe Apple will announce something that Samsung feels they have to 1 up so they add waterproofing to the Note 4 before it launches.

It ain't over til it's over. I'm still holding out hope that it could be water resistant.
    09-05-2014 08:22 AM
    I wouldn't get your hopes up though. They must be stockpiling them already. But you never know. I don't know how the launch timings work.

09-05-2014 08:27 AM
    Not solved, lol. Keep my Note 3 and wait for the Note 5, which will surely be waterproof. Now it's solved.

Is not difficult to seal the s pen. Put an o ring around it. Simple.
    I wouldn't say simple. As Kevin said previously none of us know the cost or building complications with the S-Pen being water proof... You know they had to consider it since they did it for the S5 but there had to be a reason not to do it for the Note 4.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the final product will be waterproof, but it just wasn't ready at their event.

Or maybe Apple will announce something that Samsung feels they have to 1 up so they add waterproofing to the Note 4 before it launches.

It ain't over til it's over. I'm still holding out hope that it could be water resistant.
    This won't happen. They wouldn't reveal something and leave that out.. Also to change the manufacturing process right before launch? They'd never have enough units to sell.
    09-05-2014 09:52 AM
    Surely email Samsung will confirm?
    09-05-2014 10:00 AM
    I wouldn't say simple. As Kevin said previously none of us know the cost or building complications with the S-Pen being water proof... You know they had to consider it since they did it for the S5 but there had to be a reason not to do it for the Note 4.

This won't happen. They wouldn't reveal something and leave that out.. Also to change the manufacturing process right before launch? They'd never have enough units to sell.
    To seal the s pen hole, they would only need to put an o ring on the s pen. That's it. It would seal it. It really is that simple. Now maybe they aren't happy with that, and maybe that they are but there's another reason why is not water resistant. Who knows? Everyone is assuming the s pen is the reason it's not waterproof, but we don't know that for sure. My guess is it was actually a timing issue. The water resistant prototype wasn't ready for their launch event.

I do remember a few years ago when Samsung added some features to a phone after it was announced. Maybe it was the Galaxy S2? I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was Samsung announced their phone and held their launch event, HTC announced their phone after that and it had more RAM than the Samsung, and Samsung changed the specs to have more RAM.
    09-05-2014 11:23 AM
    I love your optimism.
    09-05-2014 12:20 PM
    I mean it is pretty much known now there is no waterproof on the Note 4 so I think this thread is done with.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-05-2014 01:26 PM
    I mean it is pretty much known now there is no waterproof on the Note 4 so I think this thread is done with.

Posted via the Android Central App
    How is it known? There's conflicting info in this thread with some posts saying it will have it, and others saying it won't.

Has Samsung said either way?
    09-05-2014 01:36 PM
    I thought a Samsung spokesperson had been quoted saying the reason the Note 4 wasn't waterproof was because they expected most users would be business people. Which I have no clue why that would be considered a valid reason. I think Samsung made a mistake by not giving the Note 4 the same dustproof/waterproof qualities the S5 has. I also think they erred in not using the 64 bit Snapdragon chip (HTC offers it in their new midline phone but Samsung doesn't in their top of the line model?) and reverting to USB 2 from the Note 3's USB 3. After having a few days to consider the Note 4 overall I am very disappointed.
    09-05-2014 02:11 PM
    They would be wrong to promulgate (1st time user of this word! ) the Note 4 and 3 as a business tool.
    It can be and offers some useful features, but it's really not imo.
    It would surely put many buyers off.

Still a lifestyle and creative device, like the Note 3 promo videos, but not a sporty one - as yet.

WatermelonSlim likes this.
    09-05-2014 02:23 PM
    How is it known? There's conflicting info in this thread with some posts saying it will have it, and others saying it won't.

Has Samsung said either way?
    Yes with the specs.

S5 - http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-specs - Additional feature (IP67)

Note 4 - http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-specs - doesn't have that.

Also the reviewers would have noticed.. The S5 has a sealed back that the phone tells you isn't fully on if you take it off... Due to the water protection. The Note 4 doesn't.
    09-05-2014 02:50 PM
    Yes with the specs.

S5 - http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-specs - Additional feature (IP67)

Note 4 - http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-specs - doesn't have that.

Also the reviewers would have noticed.. The S5 has a sealed back that the phone tells you isn't fully on if you take it off... Due to the water protection. The Note 4 doesn't.
    I can't find the official note 4 specs anywhere on Samsung's website. It's a long shot, but I'm still holding out hope.
    09-05-2014 03:16 PM
    I can't find the official note 4 specs anywhere on Samsung's website. It's a long shot, but I'm still holding out hope.
    If I'm not mistaken they're taking those specs from the spec sheet near the demo models they play with... and by "they" I mean the reviewers.

Edit - yeah Phil wrote in the article "here are the official specs". He wouldn't put that if Samsung didn't provide that information.
    09-05-2014 03:35 PM
    If I'm not mistaken they're taking those specs from the spec sheet near the demo models they play with... and by "they" I mean the reviewers.

Edit - yeah Phil wrote in the article "here are the official specs". He wouldn't put that if Samsung didn't provide that information.
    I have no doubt Samsung provided that info. But I have also seen Samsung change the specs of a device well after their launch event (on either the Galaxy S2 or S3). So until Samsung comes out and says it's not going to have any water resistance, I'm holding out hope that maybe at least some versions will get it.
    09-05-2014 03:47 PM
    I have no don't Samsung provided that info. But I have also seen Samsung change the specs of a device well after their launch event (on either the Galaxy S2 or S3). So until Samsung comes out and says it's not going to have any water resistance, I'm holding out hope that maybe at least some versions will get it.
    The Note 4 has an open charging port. If it was water resistant, it would be covered like on all of the other water resistant devices.
    09-05-2014 03:51 PM
222 ... 34567 ...