09-12-2014 03:14 PM
222 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Many people HATE the flaps that make the S5 waterproof and I'm sure Samsung got an earfull of that hate. Me, I love the S5's water-resistance and only find the flap mildly annoying. I actually think it's good the Note 4 doesn't have a flap covering the charging port, even at the cost of it not being water-resistant. I have both Note 3 and S5 but if I could only have one it'd be the Note 3. There will likely be cases offering water-resistance to the Note 4 and the amount of folks that a) don't want an S5 b) need water-reistance and c) are case-phobic ...is probabably not the majority of prospective Note 4 owners. I do not believe the Note 5 will be water-resistant, especially if it would require a flap over the charging port.

Lots of differing opinions on this but I wonder if Samsung's take was simply that they already offer a premium water-resistant device. People whined about the use of metal-looking plastic in the Note 3 and the camera, Samsung seems to have focused on addressing those concerns. We'll see how much whining there is about water-resistance.

Ever

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱
    anon8380037, UJ95x and Carrtman like this.
    09-05-2014 02:58 PM
    ^^ I could have made these very good points if I had thought of them, which I wouldn't.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    UJ95x likes this.
    09-05-2014 03:08 PM
    Many people HATE the flaps that make the S5 waterproof and I'm sure Samsung got an earfull of that hate. Me, I love the S5's water-resistance and only find the flap mildly annoying. I actually think it's good the Note 4 doesn't have a flap covering the charging port, even at the cost of it not being water-resistant. I have both Note 3 and S5 but if I could only have one it'd be the Note 3. There will likely be cases offering water-resistance to the Note 4 and the amount of folks that a) don't want an S5 b) need water-reistance and c) are case-phobic ...is probabably not the majority of prospective Note 4 owners. I do not believe the Note 5 will be water-resistant, especially if it would require a flap over the charging port.

Lots of differing opinions on this but I wonder if Samsung's take was simply that they already offer a premium water-resistant device. People whined about the use of metal-looking plastic in the Note 3 and the camera, Samsung seems to have focused on addressing those concerns. We'll see how much whining there is about water-resistance.

Ever

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱
    Well, they could also make a removable plug instead of a flap. That would make everyone happy. I doubt that was the issue.
    09-05-2014 03:30 PM
    Well, they could also make a removable plug instead of a flap. That would make everyone happy. I doubt that was the issue.
    But they didn't. Regardless of the reason, there is no information pointing to a water resistant device. They would have showcased that at their unveiling.
    09-05-2014 05:02 PM
    It won't be water proof unfortunately. They would have mentioned it during the unveil. Why would they just keep quiet about such a major benefit? Exactly, they wouldn't. We all should just accept this and move on.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-05-2014 05:29 PM
    I wouldn't take a sabbatical in a monastery for a year either. I doubt now the Note 5 will be IP67, unless there is a positive leap in materials technology and costs.
    Which, alright there could be, but I don't think that will be Samsung's plan for the Note series now.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
    09-05-2014 05:50 PM
    I wouldn't take a sabbatical in a monastery for a year either. I doubt now the Note 5 will be either, unless there is a positive leap in materials technology and costs.
    Which, alright there could be, but I don't think that will be Samsung's plan for the Note series now.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
    I'm positive it's not a technological limitation that prevented the feature, if it, in fact, doesn't have the water resistance.

We know the technology exists because there are several phones on the market that include the feature, including Samsung's Galaxy S5. So it's definitely not going to require a major technological or materials advance in order to make it water resistant.

I still kind of expect them to announce a water resistant version, even if the one they already announced doesn't have it.
    09-05-2014 06:32 PM
    I'm positive it's not a technological limitation that prevented the feature, if it, in fact, doesn't have the water resistance.

We know the technology exists because there are several phones on the market that include the feature, including Samsung's Galaxy S5. So it's definitely not going to require a major technological or materials advance in order to make it water resistant.

I still kind of expect them to announce a water resistant version, even if the one they already announced doesn't have it.
    Yeh, well, they must know people were expecting it. You could be right. Just a longer wait, unless it's also being readied to be announced.
    Maybe they're waiting for the reaction to the Note 4 first. They could be clever after all.

We have all tried to let you down gently, but to no avail. We will just go along with your optimism now!
    WatermelonSlim likes this.
    09-05-2014 06:40 PM
    Yeh, well, they must know people were expecting it. You could be right. Just a longer wait, unless it's also being readied to be announced.
    Maybe they're waiting for the reaction to the Note 4 first. They could be clever after all.

We have all tried to let you down gently, but to no avail. We will just go along with your optimism now!
    It ain't over till it's over, my friend
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-05-2014 06:45 PM
    How is it known? There's conflicting info in this thread with some posts saying it will have it, and others saying it won't.

Has Samsung said either way?

Considering how much Samsung brags about waterproofness on the S5 and they have not said there is any on the Note 4 means there isn't any and I wouldn't have expected it either.
    09-05-2014 06:47 PM
    It ain't over till it's over, my friend
    HaHa!
    09-05-2014 06:53 PM
    Considering how much Samsung brags about waterproofness on the S5 and they have not said there is any on the Note 4 means there isn't any and I wouldn't have expected it either.
    I can't see why you say you wouldn't have expected it. That just blows me away.

Every blog had it in the rumored specs leading up to the announcement event. Of all the rumored specs, it was the one that was supposedly a lock to happen. Heck, there are still some sources claiming that it's water resistant (as others have posted in this thread).

I think it might be a money thing. Samsung will release it without water resistance, then in a few months they'll release the water resistant version and get a bunch of people to buy that one too.
    09-05-2014 06:56 PM
    I find it very odd and I think a mistake on Samsung's part that their flagship phone doesn't have the same dustproof/waterproof features the S5 does.
    09-05-2014 07:03 PM

Every blog had it in the rumored specs leading up to the announcement event. Of all the rumored specs, it was the one that was supposedly a lock to happen. Heck, there are still some sources claiming that it's water resistant (as others have posted in this thread).

I think it might be a money thing. Samsung will release it without water resistance, then in a few months they'll release the water resistant version and get a bunch of people to buy that one too.
    I bolded the reasons why not to put a lot of hope in what you hear about devices before they're released.
    A895 likes this.
    09-05-2014 07:13 PM

That is the thing they are RUMORS not fact, there is no waterproofing case closed. It will be ok. The phone is still very good without it.
    09-05-2014 07:33 PM
    I find it very odd and I think a mistake on Samsung's part that their flagship phone doesn't have the same dustproof/waterproof features the S5 does.
    Two different perspective buyer markets. S5 is the everyman phone, the Note line is for the power users and business users, where waterproofing isn't a big deal at all.
    09-05-2014 07:35 PM
    Two different perspective buyer markets. S5 is the everyman phone, the Note line is for the power users and business users, where waterproofing isn't a big deal at all.
    Sorry but I don't agree. I'm about a 100% business user and I find water resistance/proofing to be a very desirable feature.
    09-05-2014 07:38 PM
    Sorry but I don't agree. I'm about a 100% business user and I find water resistance/proofing to be a very desirable feature.
    Yes, but do you represent most prospective Note 4 buyers? While I wouldn't mind the Note 4 being waterproof I don't mind, at all, not even a little bit...that it is not. Why? Because the S5 exists with that feature. Every premium phone Samsung makes doesn't need to be waterproof...in my opinion. I think Samsung may agree.

The Note III
    A895 likes this.
    09-05-2014 07:47 PM
    Thank you! That's what I've been trying to say in this thread. I'm a business user too, and I can't imagine why anyone would say "I prefer it didn't have water resistance" no matter what type of user they are.

Even business users drink water and shower every day. Most of them enjoy time at a pool, hot tub, stream, lake, beach, etc. They also have toilets and many have little kids.

The notion that's "it's for business users only" is not true, because all the promo videos Samsung released before the launch event showed musicians, artists, and other everyday people (and hipsters) who don't work in an office or wear a suit.

It's just wrong no matter how you look at it. The phone isn't only for "professionals" and even if it was, that wouldn't mean it shouldn't be water resistant.
    xxx420 likes this.
    09-05-2014 07:48 PM
    Thank you! That's what I've been trying to say in this thread. I'm a business user too, and I can't imagine why anyone would say "I prefer it didn't have water resistance" no matter what type of user they are.

Even business users drink water and shower every day. Most of them enjoy time at a pool, hot tub, stream, lake, beach, etc. They also have toilets and many have little kids.

The notion that's "it's for business users only" is not true, because all the promo videos Samsung released before the launch event showed musicians, artists, and other everyday people (and hipsters) who don't work in an office or wear a suit.

It's just wrong no matter how you look at it. The phone isn't only for "professionals" and even if it was, that wouldn't mean it shouldn't be water resistant.
    I'm not sure I saw anybody say they "prefer" it without water resistance. I would "prefer" water resistance on every device I own.

It's not there, and almost everyone has just accepted that fact.
    A895 likes this.
    09-05-2014 07:57 PM
    I agree with you. Business users still encounter the same hydro perils that the rest of the world experiences: spilled drinks, rainstorms and toilet deep-diving, among other water hazards.
    09-05-2014 07:59 PM
    Yes, but do you represent most prospective Note 4 buyers? While I wouldn't mind the Note 4 being waterproof I don't mind, at all, not even a little bit...that it is not. Why? Because the S5 exists with that feature. Every premium phone Samsung makes doesn't need to be waterproof...in my opinion. I think Samsung may agree.

The Note III
    I want the larger screen and the stylus so the S5 isn't a consideration. Not saying the fact the Note 4 isn't water resistant/proof would stop me from buying it, just that I'd prefer it was water resistant/proof. After considering the Note 4 for several days now I think Samsung really came up short. The Note 4 should have had a 64 bit chip and USB 3. This is after all their flagship model, HTC just introduced a mid-line model with a 64 bit chip and of course Apple uses 64 bit chips. The technology is available and for some strange reason Samsung chose not to use it.
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    09-05-2014 08:00 PM

The Note III
    I don't think the Note 4 and S5 are interchangeable for most people. Most people either prefer a phablet or are staunchly opposed to a bigger phone. I am interested in the Note 4 but would never buy an S5. It makes more sense that they would waterproof both of their flagship phones.
    09-05-2014 08:06 PM
    I wouldn't mind if the the Note 4 was waterproof. I just don't mind that it is not. Samsung apparently needed to make some compromises and the Note 4, for better or worse, reflects their compromises this year. Next year may see more 64-bitness, if they deem that beneficial.

The Note III
    A895 likes this.
    09-05-2014 08:06 PM
    Maybe we can ask Phil Nickenson or whoever reviews one for Android Central to dunk it in a bowl of water for 30 minutes.
    09-05-2014 08:16 PM
222 ... 45678 ...