09-12-2014 04:14 PM
222 ... 56789
tools
    I don't think the Note 4 and S5 are interchangeable for most people. Most people either prefer a phablet or are staunchly opposed to a bigger phone. I am interested in the Note 4 but would never buy an S5. It makes more sense that they would waterproof both of their flagship phones.
    Yet for some reason we can only guess at, after a year of the Note 3, they did not. It may not make sense to Samsung to waterproof both of their flagships, at this time.

The Note III
    09-05-2014 09:17 PM
    Xcover and stuff and s5 active might be the phone for you then but you can buy water stickers to regain warrenty and stuff
    Even better, you can be an honorable person and just get insurance, or man up and pay for your own mistakes.
    09-05-2014 09:18 PM
    My guess is that Samsung knew long before the general public did that Android L was imminent and it was 64 bit capable. No excuse in my mind for making the Note 4 32 bit in the US market. If HTC just released a 64 bit mid-line model I think it makes Samsung look foolish introducing their flagship model with a 32 bit chip. The Note 4 was supposed to be a technological powerhouse and the US version with a 32 bit chip makes it anything but a powerhouse. Between the 32 bit chip, lack of water resistance/proofing and reverting to USB 2 (when USB 4 has already been released) I think Samsung made a lot of poor choices for the Note 4.
    09-05-2014 09:24 PM
    No waterproofing, no 64 bit cpu, No USB 3.0. How many will they sell now?
    Many more than the Note 3 imo.

The Note 3 laid the groundwork. It took getting used to.
    The Note 4 is more desirable and the software more accessible.
    It's now a top contender. It is not seen as too big by more people.

It now has fashion conscious designer language. The S-Pen is prominent.
    There is nothing in the Note 4's sector.
    It will lead the field along with the iPhone 6.

Samsung don't need to satisfy Note 3 owners only. We are mildly disappointed and frustrated with the spec. Many more are impressed. There are those ready for an upgrade anyway.

They toyed with making it waterproof, but it didn't add up, so they could afford to leave it.

I expect a larger marketing push than the Note 3. Priced correctly, it will attract a large new buying market.
    People want a premium device. This is one that can't be dismissed as a niche product any more.
    Phones have been growing. This is the Note 4's time.

Welcome to Samsung marketing.
    ohbreeeezy likes this.
    09-05-2014 09:55 PM
    The question is, what would be your reaction if you bought the note 4 on release and samsung waits a couple of months and releases a new version with water proofing? In my opinion, that article about samsung changing a large antenna order to new ones that are sealed and more easily water proofed leads some credibility to this happening.

Posted via Android Central App
    WatermelonSlim likes this.
    09-05-2014 10:48 PM
    My guess is that Samsung knew long before the general public did that Android L was imminent and it was 64 bit capable. No excuse in my mind for making the Note 4 32 bit in the US market. If HTC just released a 64 bit mid-line model I think it makes Samsung look foolish introducing their flagship model with a 32 bit chip. The Note 4 was supposed to be a technological powerhouse and the US version with a 32 bit chip makes it anything but a powerhouse. Between the 32 bit chip, lack of water resistance/proofing and reverting to USB 2 (when USB 4 has already been released) I think Samsung made a lot of poor choices for the Note 4.
    Alright. A few things.

1) What high-end flagship SoC is ready to go to market that would meet the band requirements of a worldwide phone?
    2) I think (hope) you meant USB 3.0 and not 4. What benefit is that in a phone? Faster charge times? Only when plugged in to a PC USB 3.0 slot (and then, it's only marginally faster). Transfer speed? Not with the slow NAND that's used in phones.

Back to the 32-bit. L isn't going to be out for how long? I'm not sure anyone really knows. It will take Samsung some time to bloat it up with TouchWiz. It probably (hopefully I'm wrong here) won't look anything like the L we've already seen. We already know that L is also 32-bit so that's not an issue. I'm really at a loss for why 32/64 bit is a big deal for a device that's being released relatively soon.
    A895, UJ95x and Eclipse2K like this.
    09-05-2014 11:01 PM
    Sorry but I don't agree. I'm about a 100% business user and I find water resistance/proofing to be a very desirable feature.
    Now it is a necessity after all these years really? I don't see how it makes our breaks the phone personally it is one of those features it would be nice to have IMO. But your needs may be different.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-06-2014 12:06 AM
    Not solved, lol. Keep my Note 3 and wait for the Note 5, which will surely be waterproof. Now it's solved.

Is not difficult to seal the s pen. Put an o ring around it. Simple.
    Seems like you've got this figured out! You should run that by Samsung, I'm sure there team hasn't thought of an "o" ring
    09-06-2014 01:03 AM
    Even better, you can be an honorable person and just get insurance, or man up and pay for your own mistakes.
    Possible
    09-06-2014 03:15 AM
    There is another option which in my opinion way better. You don't need the flaps to cover the ports or anything. Check out this product!

Liquipel the Alternative to a Waterproof Phone Case
    09-06-2014 04:33 AM
    There is another option which in my opinion way better. You don't need the flaps to cover the ports or anything. Check out this product!

I saw that a few years ago and I wish companies used this on their devices. They don't recommend charging for 24 hours after water exposure because its still waterlogged but you can use the device.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    09-06-2014 05:39 AM
    Seems like you've got this figured out! You should run that by Samsung, I'm sure there team hasn't thought of an "o" ring
    Oh I'm sure they've thought about it. Which is why I'm positive the sealing of the s pen hole is not the reason it isn't water resistant.
    09-06-2014 09:53 AM

Yes, the technology exists to easily make the phone water resistant. The folks saying it's a limit of technology just couldn't be more wrong.

None of us know why Samsung decided not to make it water resistant, but we can be positively certain that it wasn't because it's impossible or even too difficult.

It still may launch with water resistance for all we know. And if it doesn't, they're may be another version announced in a couple months that is water resistant.

Here's the thing, if nobody actually prefers that it to not be water resistant, at worst they say "it doesn't matter if it or is or it isn't," and a lot of others say "I really wish it was," then it seems foolish to not include it.

I'm pretty confident that it will either be water resistant and they didn't mention it for some reason, or another version will be launched that has it in a few months.
    09-06-2014 10:02 AM
    Yes, the technology exists to easily make the phone water resistant. The folks saying it's a limit of technology just couldn't be more wrong.

None of us know why Samsung decided not to make it water resistant, but we can be positively certain that it wasn't because it's impossible or even too difficult.

It still may launch with water resistance for all we know. And if it doesn't, they're may be another version announced in a couple months that is water resistant.

Here's the thing, if nobody actually prefers that it to not be water resistant, at worst they say "it doesn't matter if it or is or it isn't," and a lot of others say "I really wish it was," then it seems foolish to not include it.

I'm pretty confident that it will either be water resistant and they didn't mention it for some reason, or another version will be launched that has it in a few months.
    It makes zero sense for them to have made a water-resistant and not have mentioned it. It's Sammy we're talking about. They love to show off all of their "features"
    A895 likes this.
    09-06-2014 10:18 AM

I really wonder how much customer opinion filters back to the boardrooms and R&D of a giant like Samsung, and is acted upon.

I think they just look at sales figures and costs, and flood the market with an enormous variety of devices.

-----------
    Soon to be announced : the AquaNote (Watermelon edition)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    UJ95x, A895 and WatermelonSlim like this.
    09-06-2014 10:29 AM
    It makes zero sense for them to have made a water-resistant and not have mentioned it. It's Sammy we're talking about. They love to show off all of their "features"
    Features? my 5 must have things for note 4!

TWRP Pre-Installed
    No KNOX
    Slim or liquid installed out of the box
    4GB ram
    And a snap815

"Looks at specs":
    Starts crying and say OMG iphone is so much better!!!!!

Jk seems like a awesome device
    09-06-2014 05:12 PM
    This made me LOL
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-08-2014 01:03 AM
    I really wonder how much customer opinion filters back to the boardrooms and R&D of a giant like Samsung, and is acted upon.

I think they just look at sales figures and costs, and flood the market with an enormous variety of devices.

-----------

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm sure they do a ton of focus group feedback type of stuff. Not sure how much influence the "power user" demographic has though. :P
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-08-2014 11:21 AM
    The note 4 isn't water proof so who cares neither is my note 3 your phone belongs in your pocket where it's save if I'm near water you can bet my phone is not would you take your 3000 dollars camera to the pool ??

09-08-2014 09:24 PM
    The note 4 isn't water proof so who cares neither is my note 3 your phone belongs in your pocket where it's save if I'm near water you can bet my phone is not would you take your 3000 dollars camera to the pool ??

I must admit the water resistance came in handy on my S5 when the skies opened up and monsoon style rain came down on me. My phone was fairly wet in my pocket lol.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    09-08-2014 09:30 PM

I would if it was waterproof.
    anon8380037 and jerome hogan like this.
    09-08-2014 10:29 PM
    AGREED
    09-09-2014 09:41 PM

thats like suggesting, that if there was a car that could be driven underwater, that you would only drive on land because of how much it cost for the car......price isnt the issue, IF ITS WATERPROOF
    09-11-2014 11:39 AM
    thats like suggesting, that if there was a car that could be driven underwater, that you would only drive on land because of how much it cost for the car......price isnt the issue, IF ITS WATERPROOF
    True but unfortunately the Note 4 isn't waterproof. The S5 or S5 Active is.
    09-11-2014 11:48 AM
    True but unfortunately the Note 4 isn't waterproof. The S5 or S5 Active is.
    We don't know that yet. There could still be a variant of the Note 4 that is waterproof. Maybe they didn't announce it because they want us to buy this one, then also buy the waterproof version a few months later.
    09-11-2014 12:25 PM
222 ... 56789