Galaxy Note 4: Is it waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I find it very odd and I think a mistake on Samsung's part that their flagship phone doesn't have the same dustproof/waterproof features the S5 does.

Two different perspective buyer markets. S5 is the everyman phone, the Note line is for the power users and business users, where waterproofing isn't a big deal at all.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Two different perspective buyer markets. S5 is the everyman phone, the Note line is for the power users and business users, where waterproofing isn't a big deal at all.

Sorry but I don't agree. I'm about a 100% business user and I find water resistance/proofing to be a very desirable feature.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but I don't agree. I'm about a 100% business user and I find water resistance/proofing to be a very desirable feature.

Yes, but do you represent most prospective Note 4 buyers? While I wouldn't mind the Note 4 being waterproof I don't mind, at all, not even a little bit...that it is not. Why? Because the S5 exists with that feature. Every premium phone Samsung makes doesn't need to be waterproof...in my opinion. I think Samsung may agree.

The Note III

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thank you! That's what I've been trying to say in this thread. I'm a business user too, and I can't imagine why anyone would say "I prefer it didn't have water resistance" no matter what type of user they are.

Even business users drink water and shower every day. Most of them enjoy time at a pool, hot tub, stream, lake, beach, etc. They also have toilets and many have little kids.

The notion that's "it's for business users only" is not true, because all the promo videos Samsung released before the launch event showed musicians, artists, and other everyday people (and hipsters) who don't work in an office or wear a suit.

It's just wrong no matter how you look at it. The phone isn't only for "professionals" and even if it was, that wouldn't mean it shouldn't be water resistant.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thank you! That's what I've been trying to say in this thread. I'm a business user too, and I can't imagine why anyone would say "I prefer it didn't have water resistance" no matter what type of user they are.

Even business users drink water and shower every day. Most of them enjoy time at a pool, hot tub, stream, lake, beach, etc. They also have toilets and many have little kids.

The notion that's "it's for business users only" is not true, because all the promo videos Samsung released before the launch event showed musicians, artists, and other everyday people (and hipsters) who don't work in an office or wear a suit.

It's just wrong no matter how you look at it. The phone isn't only for "professionals" and even if it was, that wouldn't mean it shouldn't be water resistant.

I'm not sure I saw anybody say they "prefer" it without water resistance. I would "prefer" water resistance on every device I own.

It's not there, and almost everyone has just accepted that fact.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site

I agree with you. Business users still encounter the same hydro perils that the rest of the world experiences: spilled drinks, rainstorms and toilet deep-diving, among other water hazards.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but do you represent most prospective Note 4 buyers? While I wouldn't mind the Note 4 being waterproof I don't mind, at all, not even a little bit...that it is not. Why? Because the S5 exists with that feature. Every premium phone Samsung makes doesn't need to be waterproof...in my opinion. I think Samsung may agree.

The Note III

I want the larger screen and the stylus so the S5 isn't a consideration. Not saying the fact the Note 4 isn't water resistant/proof would stop me from buying it, just that I'd prefer it was water resistant/proof. After considering the Note 4 for several days now I think Samsung really came up short. The Note 4 should have had a 64 bit chip and USB 3. This is after all their flagship model, HTC just introduced a mid-line model with a 64 bit chip and of course Apple uses 64 bit chips. The technology is available and for some strange reason Samsung chose not to use it.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site

The Note III

I don't think the Note 4 and S5 are interchangeable for most people. Most people either prefer a phablet or are staunchly opposed to a bigger phone. I am interested in the Note 4 but would never buy an S5. It makes more sense that they would waterproof both of their flagship phones.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't mind if the the Note 4 was waterproof. I just don't mind that it is not. Samsung apparently needed to make some compromises and the Note 4, for better or worse, reflects their compromises this year. Next year may see more 64-bitness, if they deem that beneficial.

The Note III

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the Note 4 and S5 are interchangeable for most people. Most people either prefer a phablet or are staunchly opposed to a bigger phone. I am interested in the Note 4 but would never buy an S5. It makes more sense that they would waterproof both of their flagship phones.

Yet for some reason we can only guess at, after a year of the Note 3, they did not. It may not make sense to Samsung to waterproof both of their flagships, at this time.

The Note III

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that Samsung knew long before the general public did that Android L was imminent and it was 64 bit capable. No excuse in my mind for making the Note 4 32 bit in the US market. If HTC just released a 64 bit mid-line model I think it makes Samsung look foolish introducing their flagship model with a 32 bit chip. The Note 4 was supposed to be a technological powerhouse and the US version with a 32 bit chip makes it anything but a powerhouse. Between the 32 bit chip, lack of water resistance/proofing and reverting to USB 2 (when USB 4 has already been released) I think Samsung made a lot of poor choices for the Note 4.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
No waterproofing, no 64 bit cpu, No USB 3.0. How many will they sell now?
Many more than the Note 3 imo.

The Note 3 laid the groundwork. It took getting used to.
The Note 4 is more desirable and the software more accessible.
It's now a top contender. It is not seen as too big by more people.

It now has fashion conscious designer language. The S-Pen is prominent.
There is nothing in the Note 4's sector.
It will lead the field along with the iPhone 6.

Samsung don't need to satisfy Note 3 owners only. We are mildly disappointed and frustrated with the spec. Many more are impressed. There are those ready for an upgrade anyway.

They toyed with making it waterproof, but it didn't add up, so they could afford to leave it.

I expect a larger marketing push than the Note 3. Priced correctly, it will attract a large new buying market.
People want a premium device. This is one that can't be dismissed as a niche product any more.
Phones have been growing. This is the Note 4's time.

Welcome to Samsung marketing.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
The question is, what would be your reaction if you bought the note 4 on release and samsung waits a couple of months and releases a new version with water proofing? In my opinion, that article about samsung changing a large antenna order to new ones that are sealed and more easily water proofed leads some credibility to this happening.

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that Samsung knew long before the general public did that Android L was imminent and it was 64 bit capable. No excuse in my mind for making the Note 4 32 bit in the US market. If HTC just released a 64 bit mid-line model I think it makes Samsung look foolish introducing their flagship model with a 32 bit chip. The Note 4 was supposed to be a technological powerhouse and the US version with a 32 bit chip makes it anything but a powerhouse. Between the 32 bit chip, lack of water resistance/proofing and reverting to USB 2 (when USB 4 has already been released) I think Samsung made a lot of poor choices for the Note 4.

Alright. A few things.

1) What high-end flagship SoC is ready to go to market that would meet the band requirements of a worldwide phone?
2) I think (hope) you meant USB 3.0 and not 4. What benefit is that in a phone? Faster charge times? Only when plugged in to a PC USB 3.0 slot (and then, it's only marginally faster). Transfer speed? Not with the slow NAND that's used in phones.

Back to the 32-bit. L isn't going to be out for how long? I'm not sure anyone really knows. It will take Samsung some time to bloat it up with TouchWiz. It probably (hopefully I'm wrong here) won't look anything like the L we've already seen. We already know that L is also 32-bit so that's not an issue. I'm really at a loss for why 32/64 bit is a big deal for a device that's being released relatively soon.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Now it is a necessity after all these years really? I don't see how it makes our breaks the phone personally it is one of those features it would be nice to have IMO. But your needs may be different.

Posted via the Android Central App

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Not solved, lol. Keep my Note 3 and wait for the Note 5, which will surely be waterproof. Now it's solved.

Is not difficult to seal the s pen. Put an o ring around it. Simple.

Seems like you've got this figured out! You should run that by Samsung, I'm sure there team hasn't thought of an "o" ring ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.