Galaxy Note 4: Is it waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is it waterproof?

Naturally there has to be a reason ;cost, size being the two most likely. Samsung could at least have looked at a nanocoating like Motorola

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I think claiming to be waterproof as per the rating, eg 1 hour at whatever metres, is a dangerous road for manufacturers to go down.
They could lose credibility if there were too many claims, the port plugs were poorly manufactured or abused by the owner and failed over time.

Why would you go swimming deliberately with a Note 4. It's big enough to know it's in your pocket.
Accidental immersion, sure - it would be nice to have that safeguard for your valuable device. But there should be a choice to be made by the purchaser - buy a rugged, protected phone for the environment you need to be in, or choose a high-spec formal phone, look after it and understand it's vulnerability.
I think Samsung made the right choice until electronic components become more impervious to immersion in the future.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I think claiming to be waterproof as per the rating, eg 1 hour at whatever metres, is a dangerous road for manufacturers to go down.
They could lose credibility if there were too many claims, the port plugs were poorly manufactured or abused by the owner and failed over time.

Why would you go swimming deliberately with a Note 4. It's big enough to know it's in your pocket.
Accidentally immersion, sure - it would be nice to have that safeguard for your valuable device. But there should be a choice to be made by the purchaser - buy a rugged, protected phone for the environment you need to be in, or choose a high-spec formal phone, look after it and understand it's vulnerability.
I think Samsung made the right choice until electronic components become more impervious to immersion in the future.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
You are aware that the Samsung Galaxy S5 is waterproof right?

With the Galaxy S5 being waterproof, I'm shocked that the new Note won't be.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You are aware that the Samsung Galaxy S5 is waterproof right?

With the Galaxy S5 being waterproof, I'm shocked that the new Note won't be.

As Madd said to an extent .. It can handle 30 minutes of being submerged up to 1 meter (I believe) and that is it. It isn't full on water proof as in going swimming with it in the deep end and stuff :D.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
As Madd said to an extent .. It can handle 30 minutes of being submerged up to 1 meter (I believe) and that is it. It isn't full on water proof as in going swimming with it in the deep end and stuff :D.
Well whatever the level of water resistance, it totally sucks and is quite surprising that the Note 4 doesn't have it too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Note 4 : Is it waterproof?

Well whatever the level of water resistance, it totally sucks and is quite surprising that the Note 4 doesn't have it too.

For some sure.. For others like me I don't really mind.. I don't put my phones near water.. Ever. :).

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
For some sure.. For others like me I don't really mind.. I don't put my phones near water.. Ever. :).
Well whether you plan to use it or not, don't you find it surprising that the older Galaxy S5 was launched with a feature that got a lot of hype, and the upcoming Note 4 doesn't have that feature?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well whether you plan to use it or not, don't you find it surprising that the older Galaxy S5 was launched with a fair 5 that got a lot of hype, and the upcoming Note 4 doesn't have that feature?

No. The S5 doesn't have an easily detachable accessory (S-Pen) like the Note so.. Sealing it nice and tight is easy. Having the S-Pen be easily accessible and water proofing it isn't the easiest.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
No. The S5 doesn't have an easily detachable accessory (S-Pen) like the Note so.. Sealing it nice and tight is easy. Having the S-Pen be easily accessible and water proofing it isn't the easiest.
It does have a detachable battery though. It's just as hard to seal that as it is to seal an s pen.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It does have a detachable battery though. It's just as hard to seal that as it is to seal an s pen.

Not necessarily. Once the battery is in the back fully snaps and seals in whereas the S-Pen is easily accessible outside the device.

You can't easily just pull the battery out like you can the S-Pen... That's what I am saying.. It isn't the fact that they couldn't seal the S-Pen.. It's more so they couldn't seal it and make it so easy to take out like it is now.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry but the spen can be sealed once it's put into its place to allow for water resistance if samsung made it that way. I understand why they didn't but they easily could have. Just like they could have easily bumped the battery up a lot more than 20 mah smh. Yes yes the rhetoric about the 805 and blah blah not withstanding. The key here is it MIGHT help improve battery life but in reality it's very minimal if at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry but the spen can be sealed once it's put into its place to allow for water resistance if samsung made it that way. I understand why they didn't but they easily could have. Just like they could have easily bumped the battery up a lot more than 20 mah smh. Yes yes the rhetoric about the 805 and blah blah not withstanding. The key here is it MIGHT help improve battery life but in reality it's very minimal if at all.

Easily could have? How are you so sure? Unless Samsung goes into depth on explaining the cost .. and what they wanted to do with the Note 4's design I can't really believe it was easy otherwise they would have done it.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Easily could have? How are you so sure? Unless Samsung goes into depth on explaining the cost .. and what they wanted to do with the Note 4's design I can't really believe it was easy otherwise they would of done it.

"And what they wanted to do with the design" is quite right. They will never intend the note series to be water and dust resistant. It's design is for the professional and it's purpose unlike they s5. The cost? I'm sorry but the cost is insignificant to samsung and to reality. It's one area after all that would need a slight change. Nothing else. Seriously?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I don't understand. Are some of you under the assumption that Samsung didn't consider this? Of course they did, and for one reason or another they decided against it. Maybe it's heat (the S5 doesn't dissipate heat as well as competitors because of the water resistance), maybe it would have made it unacceptably bigger in some way, maybe the engineering cost to do it was just too high.

Maybe, just maybe, they're going to release an EVEN BETTER version early next year with some fancy new Snapdragon processor and water resistance just to make everyone that gets this Note 4 mad. :p

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Easily could have? How are you so sure? Unless Samsung goes into depth on explaining the cost .. and what they wanted to do with the Note 4's design I can't really believe it was easy otherwise they would have done it.
I tend to believe they just wanted to rush it out. They didn't want to spend the time required to make it happen. That, and they didn't want to spend the money on it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand. Are some of you under the assumption that Samsung didn't consider this? Of course they did, and for one reason or another they decided against it. Maybe it's heat (the S5 doesn't dissipate heat as well as competitors because of the water resistance), maybe it would have made it unacceptably bigger in some way, maybe the engineering cost to do it was just too high.

Maybe, just maybe, they're going to release an EVEN BETTER version early next year with some fancy new Snapdragon processor and water resistance just to make everyone that gets this Note 4 mad. :p

This :).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

"And what they wanted to do with the design" is quite right. They will never intend the note series to be water and dust resistant. It's design is for the professional and it's purpose unlike they s5. The cost? I'm sorry but the cost is insignificant to samsung and to reality. It's one area after all that would need a slight change. Nothing else. Seriously?

You and I have no idea what the cost is to add that feature. The entire phone has to be designed around it. It's not something that can be added as an afterthought. Any added cost takes away from profits. They will sell millions of these. A few extra dollars here and there adds up quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084