Galaxy Note 4: Is it waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is it waterproof?

What? :eek:

As explained by Samsung. The Note 4 isn't geared for the same market as the S5. The S5 was meant to be a very popular device geared toward the out-doorsie, active lifestyle of youth. The N4 is meant for the creative workaholic who hasn't has a vacation in 12 years and live to work.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

What? :eek:

As explained by Samsung. The Note 4 isn't geared for the same market as the S5. The S5 was meant to be a very popular device geared toward the out-doorsie, active lifestyle of youth. The N4 is meant for the creative workaholic who hasn't has a vacation in 12 years and live to work.
So Samsung doesn't think professionals would like a waterproof phone?

Aside from the fact that a large number of so called professionals actually get wet at work, the ones who stay dry (like myself) often have a life outside of work. We go camping, ride jet skis, etc. Or, like some of my coworkers, ride bikes to work, or wait for a bus or train and occasionally get caught in a rain storm.

Or maybe they have kids that might throw it in a toilet or something.

I just find it laughable that professionals wouldn't want their phone to be waterproof if everything else was equal.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

So Samsung doesn't think professionals would like a waterproof phone?

Aside from the fact that a large number of so called professionals actually get wet at work, the ones who stay dry (like myself) often have a life outside of work. We go camping, ride jet skis, etc. Or, like some of my coworkers, ride bikes to work, or wait for a bus or train and occasionally get caught in a rain storm.

Or maybe they have kids that might throw it in a toilet or something.

I just find it laughable that professionals wouldn't want their phone to be waterproof if everything else was equal.

Again, not water proof but water resistant. Your life style with jet skis isn't exactly what you should be doing even with an S5. I won't trust water resistance until its a non removable battery with a sealed cover. The ports must be water resistant without any covers. There are just too many variables when you have a removable battery and charging cover.

I prefer a sealed phone anyways and wish Samsung would do an HTC One type build but too many people rely on removable batteries. I mean people complained about the Droid Maxx being non removable which I found ridiculous considering you'd have to watch 7 hours of video to kill it. Lol

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Truly bummed about not water resistant but it's not a deal breaker for me. Still a very worthwhile upgrade from my nexus 5. Just the s pen and camera upgrade alone are worth it. Then throw in bigger better display and bigger battery, easy upgrade for me.

Posted via Android Central App

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Again, not water proof but water resistant. Your life style with jet skis isn't exactly what you should be doing even with an S5. I won't trust water resistance until its a non removable battery with a sealed cover. The ports must be water resistant without any covers. There are just too many variables when you have a removable battery and charging cover.

I prefer a sealed phone anyways and wish Samsung would do an HTC One type build but too many people rely on removable batteries. I mean people complained about the Droid Maxx being non removable which I found ridiculous considering you'd have to watch 7 hours of video to kill it. Lol

Water resistant is what I mean. If we're being technicality correct then nothing is truly waterproof. You can always get a stream of water at a high enough pressure to cut anything. So "waterproof" is just a kind of slang to mean "water resistant" most of the time.

I'd be perfectly fine if the Note 4 "only" had the same level of water resistance as the Galaxy S5. It's what I expected it to launch with.

If it could do this:
http://bgr.com/2014/04/08/is-the-galaxy-s5-really-waterproof/

The Galaxy S5 is IP67 certified, meaning it can stay submerged in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. That's plenty good enough to go jet skiing. If the Note 4 was IP67 certified, I'd be talking about how excited I am to get it, instead of how disappointed I am that it's missing a feature from the S5. And I'd definitely consider it a worthwhile upgrade from my Note 3.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Water resistant is what I mean. If we're being technicality correct then nothing is truly waterproof. You can always get a stream of water at a high enough pressure to cut anything. So "waterproof" is just a kind of slang to mean "water resistant" most of the time.

I'd be perfectly fine if the Note 4 "only" had the same level of water resistance as the Galaxy S5. It's what I expected it to launch with.

If it could do this:
http://bgr.com/2014/04/08/is-the-galaxy-s5-really-waterproof/

The Galaxy S5 is IP67 certified, meaning it can stay submerged in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. That's plenty good enough to go jet skiing. If the Note 4 was IP67 certified, I'd be talking about how excited I am to get it, instead of how disappointed I am that it's missing a feature from the S5. And I'd definitely consider it a worthwhile upgrade from my Note 3.

I agree with you on IP67. The issue is when you have a removable battery cover and a cheap charging port cover, you're asking for trouble. I've read a few reports of people swearing they sealed properly and with minimal water had the device mess get damaged.

Even if its a user error thing its still a risk. Personally, I would feel much better if there was a sealed battery compartment and a port that didn't require the cover like Sony has done. That's all my opinion though.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I agree with you on IP67. The issue is when you have a removable battery cover and a cheap charging port cover, you're asking for trouble. I've read a few reports of people swearing they sealed properly and with minimal water had the device mess get damaged.

Even if its a user error thing its still a risk. Personally, I would feel much better if there was a sealed battery compartment and a port that didn't require the cover like Sony has done. That's all my opinion though.

Even so, removable battery cover, charging port cover, it's still better than nothing.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

But the spen hole might allow water to seep through. But if you want it waterproof get a waterproof cover ;)
Even so, removable battery cover, charging port cover, it's still better than nothing.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
But the spen hole might allow water to seep through. But if you want it waterproof get a waterproof cover ;)
They could make the s pen hole water resistant if they wanted to. Just put a rubber seal around the inside, like an O ring or a washer. Or put one on the end of the s pen itself. It wouldn't be that difficult.

Next year when the Note 5 is water resistant, it won't be due to ground breaking technology that doesn't exist today.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
They could make the s pen hole water resistant if they wanted to. Just put a rubber seal around the inside, like an O ring or a washer. Or put one on the end of the s pen itself. It wouldn't be that difficult.
Or nanocoating but it makes the phone more prone to cracking/bending. As the phone isn,t good as soon as nanocoating gets on the screen and makes me want to crack it :)

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Samsung made a water resistant phone for active professionals. Its called the S[port]5. Personally, I'd never take my Note 2,3 or 4 to the beach, on a hike, mountain climbing even if it were water resistant. Still, the Note 4 isn't water resistant. Maybe they'll come out with one next year. A special sports model N4.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Samsung made a water resistant phone for active professionals. Its called the S[port]5. Personally, I'd never take my Note 2,3 or 4 to the beach, on a hike, mountain climbing even if it were water resistant. Still, the Note 4 isn't water resistant. Maybe they'll come out with one next year. A special sports model N4.

Does the S in Galaxy S really mean sport? I don't think it really does. I always thought it meant Samsung. Which is why they made a Galaxy S active. It wouldn't really make much sense to have an active if it was already a sport model.

I would bet dollars to donuts the Note 5 will be water resistant. They didn't decide "we don't want the phone of "professionals" to be prone to water damage" and it certainly wasn't a technological roadblock that prevented it either.

It was probably a matter of time. They wanted the Note 4 released in October, and they didn't have time to get a water resistant version out by then. Maybe they had issues getting the metal to seal properly, as previous posters speculated, so they went with the water vulnerable version and they'll get the water resistance perfected by next year.

Or maybe it was the cost. Maybe they didn't want to spend the extra money to get it right, and they'll revisit that decision at a later date.

I can guarantee you it's not because they decided "it's for professionals, and professionals hate water so they'll never be around it and would be upset if their phone was water resistant."

There is no law that says a phone can't both be for professionals, and also be water resistant. And there is no law that says since I plan on using my phone in a professional environment, I have to hate it if it's water resistant.

I'm a professional, and I take my Note 3 camping, hiking, hunting, boating, riding, etc, all the time. I also take it to work every day.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I've had phones that had something go wrong and they denied the warranty because the little moisture detection sticker had changed colors, even though the problem had nothing to do with getting wet.

I've also had a few phones die after legitimately getting wet. One time I fell out of the boat while fishing, another time I was fixing a water leak and got too wet, another time my son's phone fell in the sink while he was washing dishes.

This was all over a 15 year period, so it's not like it happens all the time. But I'm also a lot more careful than I would be if it was waterproof. I don't use it in the rain, don't use it in the shower, don't use it at the pool, hot tub, boat, fishing, etc.

I know a lot of you guys don't care about the waterproofing or lack thereof, but you're only 1 unexpected rainstorm away from a dead phone. Odds say it probably won't happen, but why should us Note fans have to take the chance at all if a "lesser" phone (the S5) has the waterproofing feature?

I saw Samsung announced a Galaxy Tab active. So that means Samsung offers waterproof phones, and waterproof tablets, but for some reason the Note got skipped.

Next time you're on a bike ride and it unexpectedly starts raining, it would be helpful if the phone was waterproof.

(disclaimer, I know nothing is ever truly "waterproof" and I use the term loosely, I really mean water resistant, at the same level as the Galaxy S5)

It's because of the S Pen. I guess it was difficult to water proof a gaping hole at the bottom of the phone. Use your note 4 to check the weather, if there's a small percentage of precipitation then put the phone in a zip lock bag in your back pack. Simple. Solved.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's because of the S Pen. I guess it was difficult to water proof a gaping hole at the bottom of the phone. Use your note 4 to check the weather, if there's a small percentage of precipitation then put the phone in a zip lock bag in your back pack. Simple. Solved.
Not solved, lol. Keep my Note 3 and wait for the Note 5, which will surely be waterproof. Now it's solved.

Is not difficult to seal the s pen. Put an o ring around it. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol