Galaxy Note 4: Is it waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How is it known? There's conflicting info in this thread with some posts saying it will have it, and others saying it won't.

Has Samsung said either way?

Yes with the specs.

S5 - http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-specs - Additional feature (IP67)

Note 4 - http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-specs - doesn't have that.

Also the reviewers would have noticed.. The S5 has a sealed back that the phone tells you isn't fully on if you take it off... Due to the water protection. The Note 4 doesn't.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes with the specs.

S5 - http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-specs - Additional feature (IP67)

Note 4 - http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-specs - doesn't have that.

Also the reviewers would have noticed.. The S5 has a sealed back that the phone tells you isn't fully on if you take it off... Due to the water protection. The Note 4 doesn't.
I can't find the official note 4 specs anywhere on Samsung's website. It's a long shot, but I'm still holding out hope.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't find the official note 4 specs anywhere on Samsung's website. It's a long shot, but I'm still holding out hope.

If I'm not mistaken they're taking those specs from the spec sheet near the demo models they play with... and by "they" I mean the reviewers.

Edit - yeah Phil wrote in the article "here are the official specs". He wouldn't put that if Samsung didn't provide that information.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken they're taking those specs from the spec sheet near the demo models they play with... and by "they" I mean the reviewers.

Edit - yeah Phil wrote in the article "here are the official specs". He wouldn't put that if Samsung didn't provide that information.
I have no doubt Samsung provided that info. But I have also seen Samsung change the specs of a device well after their launch event (on either the Galaxy S2 or S3). So until Samsung comes out and says it's not going to have any water resistance, I'm holding out hope that maybe at least some versions will get it.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have no don't Samsung provided that info. But I have also seen Samsung change the specs of a device well after their launch event (on either the Galaxy S2 or S3). So until Samsung comes out and says it's not going to have any water resistance, I'm holding out hope that maybe at least some versions will get it.

The Note 4 has an open charging port. If it was water resistant, it would be covered like on all of the other water resistant devices.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Many people HATE the flaps that make the S5 waterproof and I'm sure Samsung got an earfull of that hate. Me, I love the S5's water-resistance and only find the flap mildly annoying. I actually think it's good the Note 4 doesn't have a flap covering the charging port, even at the cost of it not being water-resistant. I have both Note 3 and S5 but if I could only have one it'd be the Note 3. There will likely be cases offering water-resistance to the Note 4 and the amount of folks that a) don't want an S5 b) need water-reistance and c) are case-phobic ...is probabably not the majority of prospective Note 4 owners. I do not believe the Note 5 will be water-resistant, especially if it would require a flap over the charging port.

Lots of differing opinions on this but I wonder if Samsung's take was simply that they already offer a premium water-resistant device. People whined about the use of metal-looking plastic in the Note 3 and the camera, Samsung seems to have focused on addressing those concerns. We'll see how much whining there is about water-resistance.

Ever

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Many people HATE the flaps that make the S5 waterproof and I'm sure Samsung got an earfull of that hate. Me, I love the S5's water-resistance and only find the flap mildly annoying. I actually think it's good the Note 4 doesn't have a flap covering the charging port, even at the cost of it not being water-resistant. I have both Note 3 and S5 but if I could only have one it'd be the Note 3. There will likely be cases offering water-resistance to the Note 4 and the amount of folks that a) don't want an S5 b) need water-reistance and c) are case-phobic ...is probabably not the majority of prospective Note 4 owners. I do not believe the Note 5 will be water-resistant, especially if it would require a flap over the charging port.

Lots of differing opinions on this but I wonder if Samsung's take was simply that they already offer a premium water-resistant device. People whined about the use of metal-looking plastic in the Note 3 and the camera, Samsung seems to have focused on addressing those concerns. We'll see how much whining there is about water-resistance.

Ever

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱
Well, they could also make a removable plug instead of a flap. That would make everyone happy. I doubt that was the issue.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, they could also make a removable plug instead of a flap. That would make everyone happy. I doubt that was the issue.

But they didn't. Regardless of the reason, there is no information pointing to a water resistant device. They would have showcased that at their unveiling.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
It won't be water proof unfortunately. They would have mentioned it during the unveil. Why would they just keep quiet about such a major benefit? Exactly, they wouldn't. We all should just accept this and move on.

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't take a sabbatical in a monastery for a year either. I doubt now the Note 5 will be IP67, unless there is a positive leap in materials technology and costs.
Which, alright there could be, but I don't think that will be Samsung's plan for the Note series now.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't take a sabbatical in a monastery for a year either. I doubt now the Note 5 will be either, unless there is a positive leap in materials technology and costs.
Which, alright there could be, but I don't think that will be Samsung's plan for the Note series now.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
I'm positive it's not a technological limitation that prevented the feature, if it, in fact, doesn't have the water resistance.

We know the technology exists because there are several phones on the market that include the feature, including Samsung's Galaxy S5. So it's definitely not going to require a major technological or materials advance in order to make it water resistant.

I still kind of expect them to announce a water resistant version, even if the one they already announced doesn't have it.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm positive it's not a technological limitation that prevented the feature, if it, in fact, doesn't have the water resistance.

We know the technology exists because there are several phones on the market that include the feature, including Samsung's Galaxy S5. So it's definitely not going to require a major technological or materials advance in order to make it water resistant.

I still kind of expect them to announce a water resistant version, even if the one they already announced doesn't have it.

Yeh, well, they must know people were expecting it. You could be right. Just a longer wait, unless it's also being readied to be announced.
Maybe they're waiting for the reaction to the Note 4 first. They could be clever after all.

We have all tried to let you down gently, but to no avail. We will just go along with your optimism now! :)

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeh, well, they must know people were expecting it. You could be right. Just a longer wait, unless it's also being readied to be announced.
Maybe they're waiting for the reaction to the Note 4 first. They could be clever after all.

We have all tried to let you down gently, but to no avail. We will just go along with your optimism now! :)
It ain't over till it's over, my friend

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
How is it known? There's conflicting info in this thread with some posts saying it will have it, and others saying it won't.

Has Samsung said either way?

Considering how much Samsung brags about waterproofness on the S5 and they have not said there is any on the Note 4 means there isn't any and I wouldn't have expected it either.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Considering how much Samsung brags about waterproofness on the S5 and they have not said there is any on the Note 4 means there isn't any and I wouldn't have expected it either.
I can't see why you say you wouldn't have expected it. That just blows me away.

Every blog had it in the rumored specs leading up to the announcement event. Of all the rumored specs, it was the one that was supposedly a lock to happen. Heck, there are still some sources claiming that it's water resistant (as others have posted in this thread).

I think it might be a money thing. Samsung will release it without water resistance, then in a few months they'll release the water resistant version and get a bunch of people to buy that one too.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I find it very odd and I think a mistake on Samsung's part that their flagship phone doesn't have the same dustproof/waterproof features the S5 does.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Every blog had it in the rumored specs leading up to the announcement event. Of all the rumored specs, it was the one that was supposedly a lock to happen. Heck, there are still some sources claiming that it's water resistant (as others have posted in this thread).

I think it might be a money thing. Samsung will release it without water resistance, then in a few months they'll release the water resistant version and get a bunch of people to buy that one too.

I bolded the reasons why not to put a lot of hope in what you hear about devices before they're released.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

That is the thing they are RUMORS not fact, there is no waterproofing case closed. It will be ok. The phone is still very good without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20