Galaxy Note 4: Is it waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
At what point is it "over"? The device was announced, there was a lot of fanfare, hands-on with the device(s), a lengthy presentation going over the major features (of which water resistance would be one), many articles were written, many comments said.

Could they do an "active" version? Sure. There aren't even rumors​ of that, though.
It's over either when it launches without it, or when Samsung says it won't have it. Neither of which has happened yet. There are plenty of reasons to think it won't have it, and plenty of reasons to think it will (like the antenna order) so we're just speculating until we get confirmation.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's over either when it launches without it, or when Samsung says it won't have it. Neither of which has happened yet. There are plenty of reasons to think it won't have it, and plenty of reasons to think it will (like the antenna order) so we're just speculating until we get confirmation.

Samsung doesn't list anything about water resistance in their specs here:

Samsung GALAXY Note4 - Specs

Well I think that settles it.

Of note, water resistance is listed under specs for the S5 on Samsung's page:

Samsung GALAXY S5

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Which device did they do that with? Did they officially announce it with less but then at release have more?
It was either the Galaxy S2 or Galaxy S3. Yes, they held the announcement event and announced the specs. Then HTC held an event and announced their own flagship phone with more RAM. Samsung then changed the specs and it launched with as much (or more, can't remember) RAM as the HTC.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It was either the Galaxy S2 or Galaxy S3. Yes, they held the announcement event and announced the specs. Then HTC held an event and announced their own flagship phone with more RAM. Samsung then changed the specs and it launched with as much (or more, can't remember) RAM as the HTC.

Are you sure? I'm not finding evidence of this.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Here's the problem with that. Everything would have to be recertified with all governing bodies. Everywhere.

The S3 was the first phone with 2GB of RAM and I don't recall that every changing (it was always 2GB).

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

So until they launch the Note 5 we should think there may be a waterproof Note 4 or Note 4 Active?

Okay. I think I get it now.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure? I'm not finding evidence of this.

Here's the problem with that. Everything would have to be recertified with all governing bodies. Everywhere.

The S3 was the first phone with 2GB of RAM and I don't recall that every changing (it was always 2GB).

Yes it happened. I can't remember if it was the S2 or the S3, but I remember it happening. I'm sure if you search through the pre launch threads for both of those devices on the various sites you'll find it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes it happened. I can't remember if it was the S2 or the S3, but I remember it happening. I'm sure if you search through the pre launch threads for both of those devices on the various sites you'll find it.

I did and didn't find any information about them changing specs -- You also seem unsure as to when it happened. As Kevin said anyway they would have to have things re certified if they were going to do the waterproofing ..

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So until they launch the Note 5 we should think there may be a waterproof Note 4 or Note 4 Active?

Okay. I think I get it now.
Well at least until they launch the Note 4 it's possible it might be water resistant.

And yes, even if it launches without water resistance it's possible another variant will be launched that is water resistant at some point.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well at least until they launch the Note 4 it's possible it might be water resistant.

And yes, even if it launches without water resistance it's possible another variant will be launched that is water resistant at some point.

Another device maybe but the Note 4 isn't since it would require to be re-certified and Samsung themselves have announced it without water proofing... on their official website.

So to answer the question for this forum section... The Note 4 is not water resistant / proof.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I did and didn't find any information about them changing specs -- You also seem unsure as to when it happened. As Kevin said anyway they would have to have things re certified if they were going to do the waterproofing ..
Waterproofing can just be a coating, as the video posted in this thread shows. You don't need FCC certification for that.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Another device maybe but the Note 4 isn't since it would require to be re-certified and Samsung themselves have announced it without water proofing... on their official website.

So to answer the question for this forum section... The Note 4 is not water resistant / proof.
It would not have to be recertified. If I buy one and then have that coating put on it to make it water resistant do I then have to certify that? Of course not.

And, again, Samsung has changed specs after announcing a device in the past. I'm sorry you don't remember it but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Ask anyone who was waiting for Galaxy S2 and S3 before they were announced. I'm sure they'll probably remember it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Waterproofing can just be a coating, add the video posted in this thread shows. You don't need FCC certification for that.

You said once Samsung shows official stats .. It won't release with it. See your post below in bold.

We have provided the official website stats as you wanted and you still seem to resist the official word... Not sure why... you can believe what you want ... But Samsung has shown it doesn't have it. Sorry.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You said once Samsung shows official stats .. It won't release with it. See your post below in bold.

We have provided the official website stats as you wanted and you still seem to resist the official word... Not sure why... But you can believe what you want ... But Samsung has shown it doesn't have it. Sorry.
Yeah I admit it doesn't look good. I'm still going to hold out hope though. It ain't over till it's over.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

But they already have the S5 and S5 active for folks that deem waterproofness a must-have feature. I just don't subscribe to the belief that Samsung has the desire to make all their phones waterproof at this time. So the Mega is going to come in a waterproof version too or is it that Samsung only wants all of their expensive flagships to be waterproof? Did your Samsung source provide any more details as to their logic?

Status
Not open for further replies.