View Poll Results: Are you getting the Note 4 or Note Edge?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm getting the Note 4

18 58.06%
  • Yes, I'm getting the Note Edge

7 22.58%
  • No, I'm not getting either

6 19.35%
09-08-2014 07:22 AM
71 123
tools
    Though I am not considering to buy it, I am worried about custom ROM support and how potential AOSP-based ROMs will have to deal with that secondary screen.
    Since I dislike TouchWiz, the first thing I think when having a Samsung device on my hand is looking a way to installing CyanogenMod or another AOSP-based ROM.
    lazerproof likes this.
    09-03-2014 11:24 PM
    I don't know how useful that side screen is. If you put a customized darker color wallpaper on the edge display and a lighter one on the main display, it looks like the screen is broken. The accidental touching of the side will also be a factor. So...we have the notification bar and the side display...hmm..how many different ways do we need to check our notifications? The "convenience" of the side screen showing notifications goes away if the display is facing away from you...so I don't see a benefit there. I am thinking of getting a Moto 360, so that's all the convenience I need to read my notifications without having to pick up the phone, so I don't need the side screen to tell me the same thing.

The design is fine, yet awkward, definitely a conversation starter, but I like the cleaner design of the Note 4 and finally having metal on my phone sounds like a good thing as well.

Note 4 for me....the only beef I have with it is the fact that the moved the speaker back to the backside of the phone. The USB 3.0 being gone...who cares, I don't transfer huge amounts of data between my computer and phone and the Note 4 charges faster than the 3.
    09-04-2014 01:20 AM
    Definitely the Edge. I've been waiting for months after some of the renders that were posted.

Love it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    09-04-2014 01:26 AM
    The only thing about the Edge that disturbs me is the fact that its not symmetrical. I hate that. lol. Now if there was an Edge on both sides it'd be nice. Since its on one, makes the device looks awkward, and doesnt add that much more functionality to the phone I think I'll stick with the beautiful GNote4.
    09-04-2014 01:42 AM
    If I were upgrading, I'd get the Edge. I understand if some people prefer the traditional Note for a variety of reasons, but I don't understand them calling the Edge gimmicky. It has very practical and useful functions - the opposite of a gimmick. Can't afford to leave my Note 3 since I bought it full price just 5 months ago, but I'd get the Edge if I could.
    09-04-2014 02:57 AM
    Edge looks like a lame gimmick to me, so I'll just get the regular Note 4.

Looks like an innovation in the technology (the Samsung reps kept saying 'meaningful innovation'), but as far as end-user experience? Doubt it.
    09-04-2014 03:02 AM
    I personally think Edge has an edge because its the new step taken by samsung towards their future. Developers will take interest and spend time for the future possibilities including the present possibilities which is present in both the N4 and the NEdge.
    Hence, I suggest you to wait for some time and get more information on samsung's vision for the future and take a call. In case you are thinking about the battery, it Should be sufficient and if not it is removable and you can carry an extra battery with you.

Tc

Sent from my iPhone
    09-04-2014 07:57 AM
    Any way you look at it, it's nice to see Samsung putting themselves out there with innovative design. This used to be something we saw from Apple with their iPhones but they've been pretty BLAH in that department the last couple of years. Looks like Sammy has taken over in the "wow" department.
    anon(27512) and anon8380037 like this.
    09-04-2014 08:42 AM
    Is there anything one gives up in choosing the Edge over Note 4?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Edge has a slightly smaller battery and I'm guessing higher battery usage owing to the side screen. Have to wait for a full hands on test to find out if there's an appreciable difference in battery life between the models.
    09-04-2014 10:05 AM
    You know.... this is one of those 'cool tricks' tech bits that comes along that I hoped would have just stayed in the technology demonstration phase.... just a way to show off something new, but no intention to market or sell it. Why? This is kind of the CNN/Fox News-ification of our screens. I mean, why can't we just be content with the current layout.... if you want to be notified of something, there's that bar sitting there at the top of the screen... and a million different ways to get your attention (Hover, Heads Up, etc).

We don't NEED our screens to start resembling some ADHD riddled clusterpuck of scrolling text and pop up side windows. Do we want our phones to start looking like the mobile equivilent of this?

Note 4:  To Edge or not to Edge, that is the Question.-080919-tv.jpg
    dllrogers55 likes this.
    09-04-2014 10:39 AM
    Most likely the Note 4 for me.
    09-04-2014 11:27 AM
    Just go for the Note 4. Edge is a bit gimmicky and has to many flaws just to be a good feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-04-2014 11:34 AM
    Edge looks like a lame gimmick to me, so I'll just get the regular Note 4.

Looks like an innovation in the technology (the Samsung reps kept saying 'meaningful innovation'), but as far as end-user experience? Doubt it.
    Every phone seems to have their silly gimmick now, heart rate monitor, dual camera, but I think this edge thing has some serious potential, especially if dev's utilize it. I think of it this way, almost every news station has a ticker at the bottom of the screen and for me, especially with sports I catch myself looking at the updates. For those that play fantasy sports, being able to set this up and have an instant update on my players that would turn this on and scroll updates, I think that would be awesome. I see this as a very useable feature and great potential to build on. I think I'm sold on it but need to play with it first.
    clitrenta and paul-c like this.
    09-04-2014 12:39 PM
    The edge looks really cool but I think I'll just go for the regular note 4. At least for this year. Next year I might be feeling a bit more adventurous.

Posted from my S5
    09-04-2014 01:13 PM
    I was hoping they would make it waterproof but its all just a dream now.. -.- very disappointed with samsung this year..
    09-04-2014 01:21 PM
    I'm kind of on the fence about the Edge now given that the Gear VR doesn't work with it which is disappointing. Plus the Edge's usability really depends on third parties adopting it.
    rdjr74 likes this.
    09-04-2014 01:22 PM
    Note 4. Edge at this point is just a glorified dock and status bar. There are apps like cover which already give functionalities like what edge offers for the lock screen and I'm fine just keeping my apps in the dock on the home screen.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-04-2014 01:28 PM
    I would never even consider the Edge. I've learned from the galaxy gear and gear 2 neo not to be an early adopter. This is one of those things that sounds good in theory but in real life just isn't that practical. How useful can an independent small-ish screen be? Not much IMO. I will once again break the bank and give in to my technology feen and get the Note 4. Coming from an M8 people probably think i'm crazy. I tried something different, I liked it, now give me back my Samsung! Also the new Gear seems to be a real improvement....
    09-04-2014 02:13 PM
    My first thought was what a protective case would look like on the Edge! Dumb was my second thought. Cool design for those who want a different looking display than the rest out there!
    09-04-2014 02:54 PM
    I would never even consider the Edge. I've learned from the galaxy gear and gear 2 neo not to be an early adopter. This is one of those things that sounds good in theory but in real life just isn't that practical. How useful can an independent small-ish screen be? Not much IMO. I will once again break the bank and give in to my technology feen and get the Note 4. Coming from an M8 people probably think i'm crazy. I tried something different, I liked it, now give me back my Samsung! Also the new Gear seems to be a real improvement....
    I'm coming from an S5. I love it but I have regretted getting rid of the Note 3. I like the Note line so much more.
    reesh11 likes this.
    09-04-2014 02:57 PM
    I like the Edge but its thickness is a bit of a turn off. I think I'm going with my original plan to get the Note 4.
    Of course it could all change as soon as I see it!!!!

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s
    09-04-2014 03:35 PM
    Not really digging the Edge. Seems more gimmicky than anything.
    I agree. Seems a bit over the top, even for a power user.
    09-04-2014 08:59 PM
    I'm split until I am able to play around with the Edge. It looks really damn cool to me.
    anon(27512) and msndrstood like this.
    09-04-2014 09:42 PM
    I would definitely take the Galaxy Note Edge. The design is really unique. I can't wait to see it in person.

Sent from my Sony Xperia L
    msndrstood likes this.
    09-04-2014 09:52 PM
    I agree with above that is really good to see Samsung coming up with new ideas like this. I really like the idea of the edge, just not really the implementation for me. Looks to difficult to use in the hand. I could see this working very, very well on a tablet though! Imagine a 7" or 10" tablet. Watching a movie and still screen messages without losing full screen.
    09-04-2014 10:02 PM
71 123