View Poll Results: Are you getting the Note 4 or Note Edge?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm getting the Note 4

18 58.06%
  • Yes, I'm getting the Note Edge

7 22.58%
  • No, I'm not getting either

6 19.35%
09-08-2014 07:22 AM
71 123
tools
    Haven't seen anything that impresses me so far with the Edge, however, I will be watching what developers do with it and if their will be any Roms. I may buy the Edge 2 if their ever is such a thing.
    09-04-2014 10:30 PM
    It's 'thickness'? How much thicker is the Edge than the Note 4??

I like the Edge but its thickness is a bit of a turn off. I think I'm going with my original plan to get the Note 4.
    Of course it could all change as soon as I see it!!!!

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s
    09-04-2014 10:31 PM
    There seems to be increased thickness towards the middle of the back that might make a difference when it lays on a table. And overall the pictures show it to be thicker.

If have to hold both. At first glance I prefer the Note 4 and I'm leaning towards it.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s
    09-05-2014 05:37 AM
    I like both devices, but if I were to go with one I would take the Note 4. Not sure what kind of protection you could possibly put on the Edge or if it will even be able to use a tempered glass protector. I think this first Edge will be for testing the waters and the next version they release will be much better and maybe even have both sides covered.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-05-2014 06:43 AM
    It looks cool!

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-05-2014 06:54 AM
    depends upon the price if it is not that far from Note 4 I might go with it
    09-05-2014 08:42 AM
    I think I'm sold on it but need to play with it first.
    I suspect it won't be as useful at first as it eventually becomes. I can think of lots of cool uses. Like, say you're in an ebay auction and the ebay app supports "ticker" updates on the edge of the Edge. Or you're playing music while reading an ebook, and the edge has the music controls handy instead of having to resort to Samsung's dual screen applet to go back and forth.

But I need to have hands-on and get some good examples of practical applications that will be meaningful. And then as some have pointed out, the price will be an issue. If it is much higher, that will be a problem for what seems to be an unknown albeit cool-factor feature at the moment.

And like some others say, it may well be worth waiting to see how this shakes out--even if it means waiting for Edge 2.

It looks cool!
    And there we are. I feel so....cheap being impressed by the cool-factor. I confess, I still want badly to try it.
    rdjr74 likes this.
    09-05-2014 09:08 AM
    I agree with some others, gimmicky. It doesn't offer anything one can't already do several different ways.
    I get the "cool" aspects of products and have been guilty of buying for just that reason; unfortunately I do not see this as a "cool feature".
    09-05-2014 01:10 PM
    Why wasn't there an option in the poll for "Both"? I like both devices too much to make a decision now. Since the Note 4 will be released first (most likely), I may have to get both of these to be satisfied.
    pwscott likes this.
    09-05-2014 02:46 PM
    I find most of the posts in this thread to be humorous.

"It's not practical." How do you know? You've not even seen one in person, but less used one.
    "It doesn't provide any useful functions." "It's just a dock" Well, I think some of the functions look interesting, and if you read the hands-on you'd know it does more than that, and it's an open API. It will be interesting to see if, and how, developers implement it, but I see some useful functions already.
    "It's too thick!" Actually, it's .2mm thinner than the Note 4, a difference no one will notice
    "The edge has too many flaws." Really? What flaws? How much hands on time did it take you to notice them?

There are real questions: Will developers support it? Will custom ROMs support it? (Probably only Touchwize based ROMs, but they can have AOSP skins.) Will alternate launchers support it? (I bet Nova will.) If you're a case user, the design seems to present a problem. I' don't use cases, but I do worry how easily is will break if dropped, and the cost to repair it. This is one phone I'd seriously consider insurance for.

At the moment, there are just too many unknowns for anyone to be so certain in their opinion, either pro or con. Let's wait until the thing is actually available, AC and others do real reviews, and we can trot down the store and play with it ourselves. The form opinions based on fact, not speculation and misinformation.
    monsieurms and Dnoravian like this.
    09-06-2014 05:16 PM
    I like it with one exception, the loss of the side mounted power button.
    Since you can turn it on with the home button, that doesn't bother me much.

I doubt it. If people are already debating, that tells you it's not really any better than the Note 4. That, and the fact that it's all plastic might offset the price to equal each other. I know I have no interest in it over the Note 4.
    People are debating in an almost total absence of information.

There seems to be increased thickness towards the middle of the back that might make a difference when it lays on a table. And overall the pictures show it to be thicker.

I have to hold both. At first glance I prefer the Note 4 and I'm leaning towards it.
    Pictures are misleading, and the specs are available. the Edge is [very, very] slightly thinner.
    Dnoravian likes this.
    09-06-2014 05:20 PM
    I find most of the posts in this thread to be humorous.

"It's not practical." How do you know? You've not even seen one in person, but less used one.
    "It doesn't provide any useful functions." "It's just a dock" Well, I think some of the functions look interesting, and if you read the hands-on you'd know it does more than that, and it's an open API. It will be interesting to see if, and how, developers implement it, but I see some useful functions already.
    "It's too thick!" Actually, it's .2mm thinner than the Note 4, a difference no one will notice
    "The edge has too many flaws." Really? What flaws? How much hands on time did it take you to notice them?

There are real questions: Will developers support it? Will custom ROMs support it? (Probably only Touchwize based ROMs, but they can have AOSP skins.) Will alternate launchers support it? (I bet Nova will.) If you're a case user, the design seems to present a problem. I' don't use cases, but I do worry how easily is will break if dropped, and the cost to repair it. This is one phone I'd seriously consider insurance for.

At the moment, there are just too many unknowns for anyone to be so certain in their opinion, either pro or con. Let's wait until the thing is actually available, AC and others do real reviews, and we can trot down the store and play with it ourselves. The form opinions based on fact, not speculation and misinformation.
    By far the cheapest way to insure a smartphone is through your homeowners policy.
    21stNow likes this.
    09-06-2014 06:36 PM
    Note Edge over the 4 for me right now. 4 looks to much like the 3 to me which isn't a bad thing. I just dig new stuff and thats what the Edge is...yeah sure it may be a gimmick but, some are cool and this one has my attention.
    I'm gonna vet them both out in person when their available.
    Chances are I'm gonna look at the Edge and jump!

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-06-2014 11:47 PM
    The more "hands on" stuff I see with the Edge, the less I want it. It just seems very inconvienent to hold and even people doing the hands on including on Android Central seem unsure and not very comfortable with it. I can definitely see that curved edge portion being accidentally pressed and also just trying to hold in in your hand seems inconvienent as well. Samsung has done some "gimmicky" things before and I do believe this is one of them and wouldn't be surprised to see a new one dropping 6 months from now since they always do that anyways when something of theirs flops (galaxy gear 1 and 2) or when they want to correct what people complain about (lack of metal, hello iPhone... I mean Galaxy Alpha) I think I'll stick with the money maker and sure bet and go with with Note 4.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-07-2014 06:47 AM
    The metal band will be a differentiator for me. Premium feel makes a difference.
    Yep that's key
    atrain311qes109 likes this.
    09-07-2014 09:21 AM
    Yep that's key
    Function is the key for me. My phone is a tool, not a fashion accessory. And we really don't know yet how functional the edge display will turn out to be. But all the people who have been complaining that Samsung never does anything original should be cheering this device. At least Samsung is trying to advance the platform. All the other Android phones are pretty much clones of each other compared to this.
    09-07-2014 12:39 PM
    The real power of the edge will be unleashed once the xda magicians are staying to get involved
    09-07-2014 06:37 PM
    Sorry if already asked, but if you use your note for heavy note taking like I do, do you think the bent lip of the edge would make it hard to hold securely while writing?
    09-07-2014 09:17 PM
    Sorry if already asked, but if you use your note for heavy note taking like I do, do you think the bent lip of the edge would make it hard to hold securely while writing?
    I think that would vary by individual and also depend on cases if you use one. I have an SView cover on my Note 3 and when I read your post I looked at how I was naturally holding my phone and found that my hand and fingers were not touching the phone at all but only the case. You'll have to try one in person to find out if you would be comfortable holding it in a way that doesn't trigger something on the edge.
    09-07-2014 10:01 PM
    I think that would vary by individual and also depend on cases if you use one. I have an SView cover on my Note 3 and when I read your post I looked at how I was naturally holding my phone and found that my hand and fingers were not touching the phone at all but only the case. You'll have to try one in person to find out if you would be comfortable holding it in a way that doesn't trigger something on the edge.
    Yes. That's definitely my concern because in use my note 3 naked and protect it with a leather pouch. While I'm really intrigued with the idea of the edge, I'm afraid I might be activating apps and such frequently.
    09-07-2014 10:26 PM
    Yes. That's definitely my concern because in use my note 3 naked and protect it with a leather pouch. While I'm really intrigued with the idea of the edge, I'm afraid I might be activating apps and such frequently.
    There was some talk in the videos about a feature to prevent that. We'll see how well it works. But if you're sticking it away in the pouch, the lock screen takes effect as well if you use one.
    09-08-2014 07:22 AM
71 123