Note 4: To Edge or not to Edge, that is the Question.

Are you getting the Note 4 or Note Edge?

• Total voters

Brady KEITH

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: To Edge or not to Edge, that is the Question.

@OceanView i say go for it...samsung is releasing (or has released; unsure) the SDK to devs, so it will be interesting to see how the "edge display" will be used. ticker-like notifications, scores, etc. seem cool as-is.

but, as others have commented, price will be a factor.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The metal band will be a differentiator for me. Premium feel makes a difference.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Is there anything one gives up in choosing the Edge over Note 4?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

AndyLu

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Edge is a cool concept but looks like a pain to hold. I can see myself touching the side screen with my right hand. Also looks a bit bulker than the 4. Maybe in a year or so when it changes design but this a great step for Samsung

Posted via Android Central App

Sdn2995

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I have to see/use an Edge model to know if I'd be interested. The video hands on review states accidentally touching the sidescreen will be an issue and I'll have to see the rugged protective cases for it. It is possible that the standard Note 4 will offer just as much function.

The edge intrigues me, but I need a rugged case for my phone can't go without it.

RSFRC

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Though I am not considering to buy it, I am worried about custom ROM support and how potential AOSP-based ROMs will have to deal with that secondary screen.
Since I dislike TouchWiz, the first thing I think when having a Samsung device on my hand is looking a way to installing CyanogenMod or another AOSP-based ROM.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I don't know how useful that side screen is. If you put a customized darker color wallpaper on the edge display and a lighter one on the main display, it looks like the screen is broken. The accidental touching of the side will also be a factor. So...we have the notification bar and the side display...hmm..how many different ways do we need to check our notifications? The "convenience" of the side screen showing notifications goes away if the display is facing away from you...so I don't see a benefit there. I am thinking of getting a Moto 360, so that's all the convenience I need to read my notifications without having to pick up the phone, so I don't need the side screen to tell me the same thing.

The design is fine, yet awkward, definitely a conversation starter, but I like the cleaner design of the Note 4 and finally having metal on my phone sounds like a good thing as well.

Note 4 for me....the only beef I have with it is the fact that the moved the speaker back to the backside of the phone. The USB 3.0 being gone...who cares, I don't transfer huge amounts of data between my computer and phone and the Note 4 charges faster than the 3.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Definitely the Edge. I've been waiting for months after some of the renders that were posted.

Love it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

The only thing about the Edge that disturbs me is the fact that its not symmetrical. I hate that. lol. Now if there was an Edge on both sides it'd be nice. Since its on one, makes the device looks awkward, and doesnt add that much more functionality to the phone I think I'll stick with the beautiful GNote4.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

If I were upgrading, I'd get the Edge. I understand if some people prefer the traditional Note for a variety of reasons, but I don't understand them calling the Edge gimmicky. It has very practical and useful functions - the opposite of a gimmick. Can't afford to leave my Note 3 since I bought it full price just 5 months ago, but I'd get the Edge if I could.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Edge looks like a lame gimmick to me, so I'll just get the regular Note 4.

Looks like an innovation in the technology (the Samsung reps kept saying 'meaningful innovation'), but as far as end-user experience? Doubt it.

srigirin

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I personally think Edge has an edge because its the new step taken by samsung towards their future. Developers will take interest and spend time for the future possibilities including the present possibilities which is present in both the N4 and the NEdge.
Hence, I suggest you to wait for some time and get more information on samsung's vision for the future and take a call. In case you are thinking about the battery, it Should be sufficient and if not it is removable and you can carry an extra battery with you.

Tc

Sent from my iPhone

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

Any way you look at it, it's nice to see Samsung putting themselves out there with innovative design. This used to be something we saw from Apple with their iPhones but they've been pretty BLAH in that department the last couple of years. Looks like Sammy has taken over in the "wow" department.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Is there anything one gives up in choosing the Edge over Note 4?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edge has a slightly smaller battery and I'm guessing higher battery usage owing to the side screen. Have to wait for a full hands on test to find out if there's an appreciable difference in battery life between the models.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

You know.... this is one of those 'cool tricks' tech bits that comes along that I hoped would have just stayed in the technology demonstration phase.... just a way to show off something new, but no intention to market or sell it. Why? This is kind of the CNN/Fox News-ification of our screens. I mean, why can't we just be content with the current layout.... if you want to be notified of something, there's that bar sitting there at the top of the screen... and a million different ways to get your attention (Hover, Heads Up, etc).

We don't NEED our screens to start resembling some ADHD riddled clusterpuck of scrolling text and pop up side windows. Do we want our phones to start looking like the mobile equivilent of this?

080919-TV.jpg

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

Just go for the Note 4. Edge is a bit gimmicky and has to many flaws just to be a good feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Edge looks like a lame gimmick to me, so I'll just get the regular Note 4.

Looks like an innovation in the technology (the Samsung reps kept saying 'meaningful innovation'), but as far as end-user experience? Doubt it.

Every phone seems to have their silly gimmick now, heart rate monitor, dual camera, but I think this edge thing has some serious potential, especially if dev's utilize it. I think of it this way, almost every news station has a ticker at the bottom of the screen and for me, especially with sports I catch myself looking at the updates. For those that play fantasy sports, being able to set this up and have an instant update on my players that would turn this on and scroll updates, I think that would be awesome. I see this as a very useable feature and great potential to build on. I think I'm sold on it but need to play with it first.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

The edge looks really cool but I think I'll just go for the regular note 4. At least for this year. Next year I might be feeling a bit more adventurous.

Posted from my S5

ade_tobat

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

I was hoping they would make it waterproof but its all just a dream now.. -.- very disappointed with samsung this year..