Note 4 NFC Google Wallet Compatability with Tap and Pay

rgross989

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Does anyone know of the Note 4 on sprint will be compatible with Google wallet Tap and pay with NFC at retailers? That was a big disappointment when I switched from my note 2 to the 3.

Thanks,

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: NFC Google Wallet Compatability with Tap and Pay

As of now, there's no official word from Sprint on that as far as I know.

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

Why wouldn't it have tap to pay? That's done by the NFC chip inside the phone. Its not a carrier thing. Download google Wallet and you can use it on any phone with NFC.

Posted via the Android Central App

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Doesn't work that way. Carrier has to support it. T-Mobile supports Softcard [ISIS].

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Google Wallet is now separate from the secure element so the carriers can't block it. Should work.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Google Wallet is now separate from the secure element so the carriers can't block it. Should work.

My AT&T Note3 didn't work with GW, only Isis. I hope this is resolved on the Note4.

Posted via Android Central App

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

My impression was that any device with KitKat bypasses carrier restrictions for tap-to-pay. But how would I know? I use Nexus devices, and my wife has an unlocked Moto X.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I went back to the Google Wallet page https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/1347934 and found it very odd that only (3) devices are listed to NOT work with Tap to Pay.

• Samsung Galaxy Note III
  • Evo 4G LTE
  • Nexus 7 (2012)

Yet the Galaxy S3, S4, S5 are ok, and the Note 3 isn't. I want to know why that is, was it Samsungs choice? Did they address it in the Note 4, and if the Note 4 isn't listed does that means its too early to tell or the FAQ is not updated yet since its not out yet. I have the Google Wallet Card, yet I want Tap to Pay AND Google, and OEM's need to step up their game with CrApple coming with NFC which they will proclaim they invented.

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site

-I think these were 3 that did work but were cut off once the Upgrade went through. They gave the KitKat/Chip thing as a reason they took it away from the Evo . I really miss it and would like it in my next Phone so the Note III being on that list bothers me as it should have had the dedicated security chip I would have thought .

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

So the S3, S4, S5 all got the dedicated chip and the Flagship Note 3 didn't, seems very odd to me. Given apples big push into mobile payments this had better given Google the ammunition to force the carriers to stop blocking them since they can't do squat to apple about it. Its high time the Google Wallet was given the credit it deserves before apple claims they invented mobile payments let alone popularized it. Who cares if the phone does it if the retailers don't and if they only adopt apples play then they will find it a very cold sales world.

YourBuddy2

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The reason that the note 3 doesn't work is because it uses broadcom nfc chips. Tap to pay only works with chips from NXP, which apple is now using in the iPhone 6, and is in all other android phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Why wouldn't it have tap to pay? That's done by the NFC chip inside the phone. Its not a carrier thing. Download google Wallet and you can use it on any phone with NFC.

Posted via the Android Central App

Because some devices don't work with tap and pay... Such as the Note 3 right now doesn't work with it even though it has NFC.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. So do we know if Note 4 and Note 4 Edge have the NXP chip? Did they specify that in the specs I wonder?

The reason that the note 3 doesn't work is because it uses broadcom nfc chips. Tap to pay only works with chips from NXP, which apple is now using in the iPhone 6, and is in all other android phones.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. So do we know if Note 4 and Note 4 Edge have the NXP chip? Did they specify that in the specs I wonder?

That is the real question and we likely won't know until the official iFixIt tear down or unless Samsung desides to offer up information. That said they did lose potential sales by not having it available for pre-order already.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a an AT&T Note 3 also, and I can't use google Wallet Tap to Pay. I was forced to use ISIS, which I don't want to use. It was a real disappointment, since I was able to use Google Wallet with my Note 2. I hope the Note 4 has it.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a an AT&T Note 3 also, and I can't use google Wallet Tap to Pay. I was forced to use ISIS, which I don't want to use. It was a real disappointment, since I was able to use Google Wallet with my Note 2. I hope the Note 4 has it.

andy,you are using the terrorist group isis to pay for things? Hey someone get the FBI on line 1 lol. But seriously, is tap and pay hacker proof?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
andy,you are using the terrorist group isis to pay for things? Hey someone get the FBI on line 1 lol. But seriously, is tap and pay hacker proof?

LOL. I honestly couldn't tell you if it's hacker proof or not. I was using Google Wallet on my Note 2 for quite awhile and never had any problems. Same with SoftCard (use to be ISIS, maybe the carriers didn't like to be associated with that group? LOL), I haven't had any problems with it.

The only thing that bothers me about it, is there are not a lot of places that use it yet, with either google wallet or Softcard. It's a shame, because I like how easy it is to use. I use it a our local pharmacy and at McDonalds. Haven't really found anywhere else near me that it works at. Even some of the places that have it, it never seems to work at. No problems at the ones I use it at mostly though.

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Note 3 didn't work with Wallet when it first came out. Then we got the Kitkat update and has been working since. I use it all the time.