Note 4 NFC Google Wallet Compatability with Tap and Pay

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. The Note 3 from TMO, ATT, and Verizon have an NXP chip that was new at the time and the drivers had not been incorporated by Google into Kit Kat to support HCE, which is what is used now for Google Wallet tap n pay. So these devices do not work because of this. The Sprint Note 3 is based on the international hardware and uses a Broadcom chip and does work with Wallet tap n pay in Kit Kat.

Prior to KitKat, Wallet used the secure element and would work on any Note 3 if the carrier didn't block it, which some did. You could get around this with root of course. You can't get around the current limitation with root since it is not supported by Google in the current OS and Kit Kat is now required for Wallet. Google can integrate driver support for the Note 3 in future OS but it has not been verified if it is yet integrated in any of the versions that are not officially released yet for the above carriers.

Whether it works in the Note 4 will depend on the NFC chip and whether Google has integrated HCE support for it into the OS.

YourBuddy2

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: NFC Google Wallet Compatability with Tap and Pay

The note 3 is no longer listed as 'unsupported'. That's because Sprint was the last to update to KitKat required for HCE to bypass carrier block on NFC payment. Check for yourself.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

Not exactly.

The Verizon Note 3 at 4.4.2 does not support tap and pay. It will require an upgrade to 4.4.4 to incorporate the needed drivers which Verizon has not yet released.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

The note 3 is no longer listed as 'unsupported'. That's because Sprint was the last to update to KitKat required for HCE to bypass carrier block on NFC payment. Check for yourself.

Sprint was actually the first to upgrade to KitKat. Like I said, it will not work on Verizon, ATT, or T-Mobile Note 3 on any currently official release for the reasons I stated above. It's supposed to be supported in 4.4 4 but none of those carriers have released that or said whether they will release it. We may have to wait for "L" for all we know at this point. But you can read my prior post for accurate information.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. The Note 3 from TMO, ATT, and Verizon have an NXP chip that was new at the time and the drivers had not been incorporated by Google into Kit Kat to support HCE, which is what is used now for Google Wallet tap n pay. So these devices do not work because of this. The Sprint Note 3 is based on the international hardware and uses a Broadcom chip and does work with Wallet tap n pay in Kit Kat.

Prior to KitKat, Wallet used the secure element and would work on any Note 3 if the carrier didn't block it, which some did. You could get around this with root of course. You can't get around the current limitation with root since it is not supported by Google in the current OS and Kit Kat is now required for Wallet. Google can integrate driver support for the Note 3 in future OS but it has not been verified if it is yet integrated in any of the versions that are not officially released yet for the above carriers.

Whether it works in the Note 4 will depend on the NFC chip and whether Google has integrated HCE support for it into the OS.

Jpr, I have a agree with you. There is a lot of confusion about this topic. Thanks for your efforts to sort it out.

I had a sprint Note 2 and GW tap and pay worked just fine. Moved to Verizon Note 3 and GW will not tap and pay. Yes GW will install on the Note 3, but will not give the tap and pay option.

I set up Soft Card (Isis) and signed up for American Express Serve. I was a bit reluctant to do this at first, feeling like I was being forced into something I didn't want just to have the tap and pay feature with Verizon. After going through the process of setting up American Express Serve, I have to say I'm very pleased with this new Serve account. I will be setting up sub-accounts for each of my children (3) which will allow me to be sure they have a little spending money when away without me or their mom but at the same time limit my exposure to fraud and theft.

I'm eager to see tap and pay become more widely available in our area. I believe it is only a matter of time.

Posted via Android Central App

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

My AT&T Note3 didn't work with GW, only Isis. I hope this is resolved on the Note4.

Posted via Android Central App

Spoke to Google today after several attempts to use my Note 3 with Touch and Pay. The Note 3 as of right now is the only Samsung product that does not have Touch to Pay working. I asked about the Note 4 and all they could tell me is that there is no documentation on that device for Touch and Pay. There is also no word on when the Note 3 would be fixed. They are in talks with Samsung but there has been no resolution.

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Spoke to Google today after several attempts to use my Note 3 with Touch and Pay. The Note 3 as of right now is the only Samsung product that does not have Touch to Pay working. I asked about the Note 4 and all they could tell me is that there is no documentation on that device for Touch and Pay. There is also no word on when the Note 3 would be fixed. They are in talks with Samsung but there has been no resolution.

Not sure if you're talking about the AT&T model specifically, because I have the Sprint Note 3 and have been using Tap and Pay since I updated to Kitkat.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if you're talking about the AT&T model specifically, because I have the Sprint Note 3 and have been using Tap and Pay since I updated to Kitkat.

I was assuming that they were talking about the Note 3 in general. I also read something on the forums which states that the Tap and Pay system with the latest Verizon update has Tap to Pay not operational. Verizon denies having problems with Tap to Pay. Samsung is clueless so, the only solid answer I got was from Google. Nothing worse that holding up a line while you tinker with your device to pay. Did this 3 times today and it was not cool.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

I was assuming that they were talking about the Note 3 in general. I also read something on the forums which states that the Tap and Pay system with the latest Verizon update has Tap to Pay not operational. Verizon denies having problems with Tap to Pay. Samsung is clueless so, the only solid answer I got was from Google. Nothing worse that holding up a line while you tinker with your device to pay. Did this 3 times today and it was not cool.

You can read my posts in this thread and the other thread you replied to for accurate information on this subject.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

So the S3, S4, S5 all got the dedicated chip and the Flagship Note 3 didn't, seems very odd to me. Given apples big push into mobile payments this had better given Google the ammunition to force the carriers to stop blocking them since they can't do squat to apple about it. Its high time the Google Wallet was given the credit it deserves before apple claims they invented mobile payments let alone popularized it. Who cares if the phone does it if the retailers don't and if they only adopt apples play then they will find it a very cold sales world.

Any retailer that accepts Apple Pay will accept tap and pay from any source (i.e. Google Wallet, Softcard (formerly Isis) etc.) because Apple Pay uses NFC and so do all the other tap and pay wallets. The difference between Apple Pay and all the other wallets is Apple does not store your credit card # in any form, they use tokenization which means there is a one time use number generated for every transaction. Apple Pay also uses the phone's fingerprint reader for authentication. So the differences between Apple Pay and the other mobile wallets is from the phone and the methods Apple uses not the equipment a merchant uses to be able to accept the transaction. All a merchant needs to use Apple Pay or any other tap and pay mobile wallet is a NFC reader. So there is no way a business could accept Apple Pay and not the other tap & pay mobile wallets because the NFC reader can not differentiate between different tap and pay mobile wallets. Apple states there are currently 220,000 businesses that accept Apple Pay meaning they have NFC readers. All of those 220,000 are large chain retailers that Apple worked with prior to the introduction of the iPhone 6. If Apple Pay's use catches on strongly you'll see smaller retailers adding NFC readers which are fairly inexpensive.

Mactologist

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Any retailer that accepts Apple Pay will accept tap and pay from any source (i.e. Google Wallet, Softcard (formerly Isis) etc.) because Apple Pay uses NFC and so do all the other tap and pay wallets. The difference between Apple Pay and all the other wallets is Apple does not store your credit card # in any form, they use tokenization which means there is a one time use number generated for every transaction. Apple Pay also uses the phone's fingerprint reader for authentication. So the differences between Apple Pay and the other mobile wallets is from the phone and the methods Apple uses not the equipment a merchant uses to be able to accept the transaction. All a merchant needs to use Apple Pay or any other tap and pay mobile wallet is a NFC reader. So there is no way a business could accept Apple Pay and not the other tap & pay mobile wallets because the NFC reader can not differentiate between different tap and pay mobile wallets. Apple states there are currently 220,000 businesses that accept Apple Pay meaning they have NFC readers. All of those 220,000 are large chain retailers that Apple worked with prior to the introduction of the iPhone 6. If Apple Pay's use catches on strongly you'll see smaller retailers adding NFC readers which are fairly inexpensive.
Eventually in the not too distant future, all retail outlets that accept credit cards will have NFC card readers in order to be PCI compliant. All of it has to be in place by end of 3rd quarter 2015. Everyone's credit /debits card issued after then will have these chips in them and the stripe which is easily readable and writable will be phased out.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Eventually in the not too distant future, all retail outlets that accept credit cards will have NFC card readers in order to be PCI compliant. All of it has to be in place by end of 3rd quarter 2015. Everyone's credit /debits card issued after then will have these chips in them and the stripe which is easily readable and writable will be phased out.

What you're saying is not completely true. While the dates you stated are correct using a NFC reader in conjunction with the upcoming chip and pin credit/debit cards is at the business's option. It is not a mandatory requirement. The difference is if the business doesn't have the ability to accept the new chip and pin cards (called EMV cards) using a NFC reader in the case of fraud the liability switches to the business from the issuing bank. So it is at the business's discretion whether or not they want to use a NFC reader. Since card present transactions for most small businesses have very few fraudulent transactions the liability shift may not be enough incentive to purchase the equipment necessary to support EMV card transactions. What may turn out to be a more likely scenario is the popularity of Apple Pay might drive adoption. So don't expect that every business accepting credit cards will have the ability to process them as EMV cards just because of the adoption date for the liability shift.

j2inet

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
For those interested, I walked into a T-mobile store and downloaded "NFC Smartcard Info" to a display Galaxy Note 4 to check the NFC chipset. The phone shows as using a Broadcom chipset and shows as supporting HCE. So it looks that the Galaxy Note 4 from T-mobile will support Google Wallet. Sadly beyond the display unit my local store has not received their shipment of units to sell.

It may be helpful of people that acquire the phone from other carriers confirm the chipset and Wallet compatibility just in case there is a variance in what chips are used.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
For those interested, I walked into a T-mobile store and downloaded "NFC Smartcard Info" to a display Galaxy Note 4 to check the NFC chipset. The phone shows as using a Broadcom chipset and shows as supporting HCE. So it looks that the Galaxy Note 4 from T-mobile will support Google Wallet. Sadly beyond the display unit my local store has not received their shipment of units to sell.

It may be helpful of people that acquire the phone from other carriers confirm the chipset and Wallet compatibility just in case there is a variance in what chips are used.

I can confirm that the AT&T version does definitely work with Google Wallet.
Interestingly though, the device comes with softcard pre installed, but they had a small sheet in with the warranty card and documentation that was advertising Google wallet.

Posted via the Android Central App

sdanaher

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

I can confirm that Google Wallet Tap and Pay is working on my Note 4.

David Pruitt

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that Google Wallet Tap and Pay is working on my Note 4.

How did you get it to work? I've tried at two places that have the Tap and Pay logo -- Jack in the Box and a local taco shop. I have NFC enabled and I set up Google Wallet. Per the instructions, I should only have to wake the device and tap the machine. Nothing happens. Using AT&T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781