Note 4 NFC Google Wallet Compatability with Tap and Pay

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I can also confirm it works. I am on AT&T and both Google Wallet and soft pay are working fine for me.

I love this phone so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

I can also confirm Google Wallet on the Note 4 on T-Mobile is fully functional and it works. I have used it 3 times this week, lastly at walgreens. Pulled out the white beast, payed for my stuff and used the NFC terminal to pay. Clerk says "Your the first person I've seen use apple pay. My response, "Well, I guess you'll have to keep waiting because this ain't the iphone." Really, what is that?, Show her the back of the beast, smile and walk out.

Yellow-06-GT

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
How did you get it to work? I've tried at two places that have the Tap and Pay logo -- Jack in the Box and a local taco shop. I have NFC enabled and I set up Google Wallet. Per the instructions, I should only have to wake the device and tap the machine. Nothing happens. Using AT&T.

As you did, I just installed Google Wallet, logged onto my account, turned NFC on and it works. Unfortunately I don't have Jack in the Box to try here, but I have used it at McDonald's and CJs successfully.

Make sure the phone is active. It won't work if the screen is off.

I miss Jack on the Box.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that the AT&T version does definitely work with Google Wallet.
Interestingly though, the device comes with softcard pre installed, but they had a small sheet in with the warranty card and documentation that was advertising Google wallet.

I'll confirm that, too. And interestingly, SoftCard came pre-installed on my AT&T Note 4 still branded as ISIS.

Let it be known that I do not support ISIS.

I miss Jack on the Box.

Mmmmm, Jumbo Jacks . . . .

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I set up my Google wallet last night but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I was going to set up the Softcard one too but it appears to me you only have 3 choices, use your Chase or Wells Fargo card or any other card needs to go through an Amex account you have to set up. Whereas the Google Wallet will take any credit or debit card directly and also bank accounts. Makes me wonder why Softcard did it the way they did having to use the Amex account for anything besides Chase & Wells Fargo cards.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to turn the screen on, depending on how your device is set up. I don't use a pin on my lockscreen, and I have google wallet set to require a pin once a day. for first use, the screen will turn itself on and require the Google wallet pass code. After that I can complete transactions with the screen off.

Yellow-06-GT

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to turn the screen on, depending on how your device is set up. I don't use a pin on my lockscreen, and I have google wallet set to require a pin once a day. for first use, the screen will turn itself on and require the Google wallet pass code. After that I can complete transactions with the screen off.

Interesting. I will try that. The instructions for tap and pay say you must wake the phone up first before it will work. I have tried to use it with the screen off and it did not work. I do not use the fingerprint or pass code to wake my phone up. I do use the swipe.

I will change both as you suggested and give it a try. Although, not sure I will leave it to once a day. Seems to insecure for me.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I will try that. The instructions for tap and pay say you must wake the phone up first before it will work. I have tried to use it with the screen off and it did not work. I do not use the fingerprint or pass code to wake my phone up. I do use the swipe.

I will change both as you suggested and give it a try. Although, not sure I will leave it to once a day. Seems to insecure for me.

Yes a bit less secure. Do remember that you can disable GW for a particular phone remotely, from a Web browser or another phone.

Yellow-06-GT

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes a bit less secure. Do remember that you can disable GW for a particular phone remotely, from a Web browser or another phone.

Yes, that is true.

So, I just got back from CVS and tried to tap and pay with the screen off. Nothing happened. Turned the screen on and it did try, but the terminal came back with to use an alternate payment method. Changed my credit card and it did the same thing. Ended up using the actual card with no problem.

I know it's not my phone, used it at McDonald's yesterday.

Oh well.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Any ideas why it won't work for me? . I have a Tmo version and it keeps saying failed to add account then the app just closes.

Try force closing the app, clearing cache, and clearing data. Do all three of those then try again.

Otherwise, are you rooted? Is your account US-based? Have you used this same account to purchase apps or anything else through Google?

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Try force closing the app, clearing cache, and clearing data. Do all three of those then try again.

Otherwise, are you rooted? Is your account US-based? Have you used this same account to purchase apps or anything else through Google?

My account is US based and I have used the same account to purchase apps and many things via Google.

This is frustrating me.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Both CVS and Rite Aid have disabled NFC payments. They are both owned by the same company and they intend to have their own mobile wallet next year. So it wasn't your phone not working. It's kinda surprising the CVS cashier wasn't aware that NFC payments had been disabled.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow, if they really intend to start their own mobile wallet service that is a total fail before it ever starts. I wonder what some people are thinking when they come up with these lame ideas.

Both CVS and Rite Aid have disabled NFC payments. They are both owned by the same company and they intend to have their own mobile wallet next year. So it wasn't your phone not working. It's kinda surprising the CVS cashier wasn't aware that NFC payments had been disabled.

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Tried mine for first time at rite aid yesterday and it didn't work. Found out after they discontinued it.

Posted via the Android Central App

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't make any sense to me either. I'm in the credit card processing business and there have been reports that on certain processing networks Apple Pay transactions were being processed as card not present transactions which is a higher cost than card present. That's a mistake and I don't know what would cause it to happen. I have no clue if that may have had something to do with it. If as I read they're coming out with their own mobile wallets you'd think they'd want to get people in the habit of using their phones for NFC credit card transactions. Those stores have had NFC capability for a number of years so there's nothing new about it to them. Some credit cards have NFC chips like the MasterCard Pay Pass for example and they work the same way a smartphone does.

GatoL0c0

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Rite-Aid, Walmart, Lowe's, 7-11, CVS, Best Buy and a few others are purposely disabling Google Wallet (even Apple Pay) because they all are going to use a different system called CurrentC. Such a stupid move limiting the form of payment. I'll never use that.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Just seems strange they'd do it the same week Apple Pay went live. I believe what they did was disable their NFC readers but I'm not sure as I haven't been into one lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36