Note 4 NFC Google Wallet Compatability with Tap and Pay

GatoL0c0

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Just seems strange they'd do it the same week Apple Pay went live. I believe what they did was disable their NFC readers but I'm not sure as I haven't been into one lately.

Most of these retailers have been disabling NFC well before Apple Pay went live. Some slower than the rest.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
CVS, RiteAid, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond and other major retailers are turning off all Tap & Pay for Google Wallet, iPay, and Softcard opting instead to wait for there own software due next year. The reason. The new system cuts out the Banks and Credit Card companies by going directly to your checking account. Now, of course, the banks are saying they will not support the new system because they can't charge a fee. It gets curiouser and couiouser.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Weird,, I use at cvs all the time. I've used at least 5 times already with the Note 4 at cvs.

GALAXY NOTE 4, GO BIG OR GO HOME

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
CVS, RiteAid, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond and other major retailers are turning off all Tap & Pay for Google Wallet, iPay, and Softcard opting instead to wait for there own software due next year. The reason. The new system cuts out the Banks and Credit Card companies by going directly to your checking account. Now, of course, the banks are saying they will not support the new system because they can't charge a fee. It gets curiouser and couiouser.

I also heard too that each store chain is seeking out to use their own electronic payment process. So, if you go into Starbucks, you will need to use their app. If you go into another store, you will need to use the other app.

Wonder how all this will play out in reality? If I have to use multiple mobile apps for each store I go to, then I will just go back to paying the old fashioned way, using my debit or credit cards. Its too bad that these merchants destroyed such a wonderful and convenient way to pay for things.

For me today, I finally gave into the Softcard and Google Wallet thing after creating long lines and going to different merchants to get Google Walleto to work. Now, I have to use an AMex prepaid card since I do not bank at Wells Fargo or Chase. Google Wallet was much easier. Now its turning into a hassle. I read somewhere that someone, I believe from Pocket Now, got Google Wallet to use with his phone and eventually went back to the old fashioned card method.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I tried to use my Google Wallet for the first time today at Walgreens and the transaction declined because the wrong wallet PIN was used. For those that have used their Google Wallets how could you open the Wallet app if you were using the wrong PIN #? I don't think you can so needless to say I'm puzzled as to what went wrong. I tapped the phone on the NFC reader with the Wallet open and that part worked.

As far as the major chains trying to buypass credit/debit cards by using direct bank account access I think they will run into a great deal of customer opposition. Using a debit card means the customer has some protections they wouldn't have using direct bank account access and I think a lot of people will not want these stores having direct access to their bank accounts just on general principles. And the banks are not going to complete those transactions for free. From the store's point of view using a credit/debit card guarantees being paid direct access to a bank account does not because those transactions clear thru the Federal Reserve's ACH mechanism the next day M-F. There is no way to verify if the funds are there prior to the transactions actually clearing or not. If there's not enough funds in the customer's account the store does not get paid.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I tried to use my Google Wallet for the first time today at Walgreens and the transaction declined because the wrong wallet PIN was used. For those that have used their Google Wallets how could you open the Wallet app if you were using the wrong PIN #? I don't think you can so needless to say I'm puzzled as to what went wrong. I tapped the phone on the NFC reader with the Wallet open and that part worked.

As far as the major chains trying to buypass credit/debit cards by using direct bank account access I think they will run into a great deal of customer opposition. Using a debit card means the customer has some protections they wouldn't have using direct bank account access and I think a lot of people will not want these stores having direct access to their bank accounts just on general principles. And the banks are not going to complete those transactions for free. From the store's point of view using a credit/debit card guarantees being paid direct access to a bank account does not because those transactions clear thru the Federal Reserve's ACH mechanism the next day M-F. There is no way to verify if the funds are there prior to the transactions actually clearing or not. If there's not enough funds in the customer's account the store does not get paid.

From what I read these transactions would be no different than using a bank debit card or a credit card. If you are overdrawn or over you credit limit the charge would not go through. And the transactions would be done using private QR codes so the actual account information isn't on your phone and would not be shared over the stores system just like your Bank app where nothing is downloaded from your bank account to your phone. The real push here is to eliminate the bank/credit card company charges to the stores for each transaction. In return the stores are proposing to provide the customers using the system with perts for the lower cost of the transaction. Of course the banks and credit card companies are already threatening to not allow "free" transactions for money that belongs to the customers not the bank. Got to love GREED on all sides of this issue.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
From what I read these transactions would be no different than using a bank debit card or a credit card. If you are overdrawn or over you credit limit the charge would not go through. And the transactions would be done using private QR codes so the actual account information isn't on your phone and would not be shared over the stores system just like your Bank app where nothing is downloaded from your bank account to your phone. The real push here is to eliminate the bank/credit card company charges to the stores for each transaction. In return the stores are proposing to provide the customers using the system with perts for the lower cost of the transaction. Of course the banks and credit card companies are already threatening to not allow "free" transactions for money that belongs to the customers not the bank. Got to love GREED on all sides of this issue.

I just learned about how this works. You have to transfer money from your bank account to the CurrentC wallet on your phone. First question is does anybody trust a non-bank with their money? Second issue is as a consumer you won't have the fraud protection or the ability to initiate a chargeback that you do with credit & debit cards. I think this will be a big fail when it comes out.

Last edited:

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So i guess the new Credit Cards(or regular one in Europe) that will use RFID wont be a thing if the MCX consortium has its way.

No, not at all. The EMV cards will still be issued this attempt by these retailers to introduce the Current C wallet won't change any of that as they're most certainly not going to stop accepting credit cards. The benefit to the merchants is if they have the ability to accept those cards through by using the chip/pin or chip/signature method if it's a fraudulent transaction the card issuer is responsible. If they don't have the ability to accept the EMV cards through NFC (to read the chip) as intended and it's a fraudulent transaction the liability rests with the merchant. So at that point I highly doubt that any of these large businesses won't turn their NFC readers back on and when they do that Apple Pay, Google Wallet, Softcard ect. will also work.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Beh ... u r spot on IMO. In addition, you can still load money to your Currentc account from a credit card, but you (not the merchant) will pay a 2.9% fee. Google wallet is doing this now. The only way to avoid the fee is transferring money directly from your checking/savings account.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon6002755

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
No, not at all. The EMV cards will still be issued this attempt by these retailers to introduce the Current C wallet won't change any of that as they're most certainly not going to stop accepting credit cards. The benefit to the merchants is if they have the ability to accept those cards through by using the chip/pin or chip/signature method if it's a fraudulent transaction the card issuer is responsible. If they don't have the ability to accept the EMV cards through NFC (to read the chip) as intended and it's a fraudulent transaction the liability rests with the merchant. So at that point I highly doubt that any of these large businesses won't turn their NFC readers back on and when they do that Apple Pay, Google Wallet, Softcard ect. will also work.

And thats what i'm hoping happens as well. I dont really imagine this MCX/CurrentC deal lasting very long and i see it as an attempt to give themselves a bargaining chip.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Getting back to my original question:

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

It could be that Tap & Pay has been disabled by the store and you are getting a "default" error message.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
The CurrentC 'system' has already failed. Credit Cards provide a vast layer of protection for the consumer and people are not going to be giving out their bank account information to this vendor on any scale.

Beh ... u r spot on IMO. In addition, you can still load money to your Currentc account from a credit card, but you (not the merchant) will pay a 2.9% fee. Google wallet is doing this now. The only way to avoid the fee is transferring money directly from your checking/savings account.

Posted via the Android Central App

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

Last time I used mine it wanted the PIN again after the transaction to confirm it.
Did yours ask for it after?
Good luck!

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Not sure because I had to enroll the N4's phone # in their rewards program through the terminal. I'll just have to try and use it again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital