Your Note 4 impressions?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's an evolution of the Note line, and that's fine.

Improvements to the screen, camera, battery, S Pen, etc are expected and good to see. Would have liked to see more Touchwiz improvements, but I think Samsung are set in their ways for the software and don't see that changing soon.

I'm not entirely sure what people were expecting out of the Note 4. It's an upgrade of the Note 3 and I don't know what you could really ask for.

If people enjoy the Note line, this looks to be the best in the series.

I really didn't expect any major changes, so this is fine to me.

Honestly, we're at a time where any major smartphone changes are extremely minimal.

Posted via Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm. Guessing because it's gone from USB 3.0 to 2.0 will the note 3 dock fit in the note 4?

The Note 3 has a different shaped port than the Note 4. Unless that dock is designed for the smaller USB 2.0 side on the Note 3, it won't fit.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I love the overall design. The metal looks amazing. Can't wait to actually hold this device.

Moderate but not amazing software and hardware upgrades. Definetly a refinement from the note 3.

WHERE THE HELL IS MY USB 3.0, they took that away for "fast charging" really? USB 3.0 IS fast charging!!

Wanted to see it get a least a little tiny bit bigger. 😔

Posted via the Android Central App

They saw that not many people were buy the cable

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
It seems like a great phone but perhaps not a huge step up from the Note 3. For a new user like myself, however, it looks real good. Tough call between the Note 3 and the G3. The distinction might come down to the stylus. Not sure how useful it would be on a smartphone, but one of the best features of my Surface Pro is the pen so I would probably like and use the Note 3 stylus.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that too and is really the only thing that bugs me so far about the Note 4. Was hoping they'd reduce the bezels and use that extra space to increase the screen size to 5.9" without making the overall phone size any bigger. May be they couldn't do that though due to limitations of the internal components or other design challenges. :(

Yeah, the dimension that changed the most is an extra 2.3mm in height for the GN4. These dimensions are from gsmarena.com:

N4 Dimensions 153.5 x 78.6 x 8.5 mm (6.04 x 3.09 x 0.33 in)

N3 Dimensions 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm (5.95 x 3.12 x 0.33 in)

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Well I'll wait till I can test it but so far from what I've seen:

Save for some little bummers here and there it turned out exactly the way I've expected it.

- QHD in combination with SAmoled :-* check
- SD 805 check (at least it's 64 bit ready) so check
- higher quality frame check (wasn't even a need for me thanks to great cases)
- highly improved S Pen check
- finally better volume rockers it's really nice being able to feel the difference between volume +/-
- headphone jack at the top again (thanks)
- using the heartrate monitor as a real camera-shutter is great

Little bummers:

- only USB 2.0 instead of 3.0 although I don't think I will feel the difference
- no IP 67 ... to be honest I didn't expect it because of the S Pen and yeah I'm sure Lifeproof, Seidio and other topcases will take care of that
- would have loved 4 gig of Ram but judging by some reviewers this baby is already blazzing fast
- speaker at the top would have been nice..but it's not that big of a deal for me since I always connect my phones to my Bose companion

Conclusion:
Is it perfect ? Not really but we are reaching a point in technology where less stellar upgrades are going to happen more frequently the smartphone market is saturated and especially LG, Samsung are pushing the boundaries more and more each year. For my personal needs I think it will be a great phone and Samsung updated the things I wanted them too so very happy. Yeah next years version will have the SD 810, at least for 4 gig of RAM but other than that it won't be much different than the current N 4 and I'm very sure I will still be happy with my N 4 by then.

So all in all very good job Samsung

What does 64 bit ready mean? Are you saying the Note 4 is capable of running 64 bit Android L when it's released? I thought the chip needed to be 64 bit capable which to the best of my knowledge the Snapdragon 805 is not, it's a 32 bit chip.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
What does 64 bit ready mean? Are you saying the Note 4 is capable of running 64 bit Android L when it's released? I thought the chip needed to be 64 bit capable which to the best of my knowledge the Snapdragon 805 is not, it's a 32 bit chip.

Correct. The 808 and 810 have 64 bit cores, not the 805.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I wanted this phone so bad, and was waiting for a long time to upgrade from my Note 2. Last month I broke my note 2 and needed a phone right away, so ended up buying a Note 3 with AT&T outright. I love my Note 3 and since I paid outright (even with a good price) I'm not sure I can justify selling it and paying for the new Note 4. I do like one thing about the software, and that's the Multiwindow function of being separate and being able to resize and move around the screen with it. That's something I always loved about my Original Note 10.1 tablet. I like to draw and use a pic to draw from another window when in a drawing app. I know the phone is small, but I like this option better than the windows on top of each other. Just my opinion.

Of course the camera I like and I will have to feel and use it a bit when it comes out, but still I feel I can wait until the bugs are out and I can see the reviews of actual users first. I'm hoping the price is not as expensive as the Note 3 when it first came out. I haven't read all the specs, so just commenting on what I have read. I'm sure it'll be a great phone. I'm wondering if the signal strength will be any better on it? That's the only thing I really dislike about the samsung phones, wish it was better like my old Motorola Droid X. I never had any problems with the Signal and having dropped calls on any of the Samsungs I've had, except a few places in buildings, but it would be nice if they beefed it up a little on that end.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I still don't see the point of 64-bit smartphones.

You know it's funny I've discussed the Note 4 with a friend of mine told her about all the great specs and all she cared about was: how does it look compared to the old one, what can the camera do and what type of "fashion" cases there are.

Point being spec "wars" are more for us males I guess and personally I like the buy the latest and best whenever I'm upgrading, but the fact is 64 bit technology hasn't even taken over PCs now it will take some time before phones are going to be able to make use of them but once they do we will have a note 6.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
You know it's funny I've discussed the Note 4 with a friend of mine told her about all the great specs and all she cared about was: how does it look compared to the old one, what can the camera do and what type of "fashion" cases there are.

Point being spec "wars" are more for us males I guess and personally I like the buy the latest and best whenever I'm upgrading, but the fact is 64 bit technology hasn't even taken over PCs now it will take some time before phones are going to be able to make use of them but once they do we will have a note 6.

I'm female and I love technology and specs excite me. I like to have the latest and greatest, however I do like to accessorise with my cases, or even better still now I'll be able to get a gold note 4 :) it will be even more beautiful than my gold S5.

Posted from my S5

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm female and I love technology and specs excite me. I like to have the latest and greatest, however I do like to accessorise with my cases, or even better still now I'll be able to get a gold note 4 :) it will be even more beautiful than my gold S5.

Posted from my S5

Wow so then you are into the spec wars and "phone fashion" (is that the right word ?)

Personally I want my cases to do a great job at protection sure they should look somewhat nice too but it's not that important for me.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Love my Note 2 and was hoping for wireless charging and a little bigger screen. Passed on the 3 and may pass on the 4 and wait for the Note 5. All great phones. But, my 2 still works flawlessly.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I just don't see any compellinh reason to justify ditching my Note 3 in favor of a Note 4.

My Note 3 is still performing flawlessly and I use Otterbox Commuter cases so the new looks don't matter. None of the new features and specs are worth $300 to me.

Galaxy Note 5 will be here before too long. I can wait.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

MRS DIVA

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Still love my Note 2 but will upgrade to the Note 4. I would have liked to seen 64GB internal storage, decent front facing speakers and a larger battery. That wishlist may arrive in the Note 5

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I just don't see any compellinh reason to justify ditching my Note 3 in favor of a Note 4.

My Note 3 is still performing flawlessly and I use Otterbox Commuter cases so the new looks don't matter. None of the new features and specs are worth $300 to me.

Galaxy Note 5 will be here before too long. I can wait.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

I've seen a lot of people making similar comments, they see no reason to move from their Note 3 to Note 4 and that's completely understandable. The Note 4 has smaller hardware improvements rather than big software improvements (ie; things that will improve the UX of the phone). The Note 3 is still a powerful device, more than enough to last another year, and the Note 4 is an iterative spec bump on the N3.

I don't blame anyone for not being too impressed with the Note 4. Some decisions had me scratching my head (going back to USB 2) but then again, I do think it's a good upgrade, especially if you're on the Note 2 or a previous phone.

bp3829

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Love my Note 2 and was hoping for wireless charging and a little bigger screen. Passed on the 3 and may pass on the 4 and wait for the Note 5. All great phones. But, my 2 still works flawlessly.

I'm with you in regards to my Note 2. This being said I am looking towards seeing the other phones comming out in the next couple of months and then make a decision. Note 4 is very impressive and coming from the "Company who should not be named" I kid. Im glad I made the switch to Android. in the past week I bought a chromebook, Chromecast, and just purchased a Gear Live. Knowing me I'll probably get the Note 4 but just not really in a hurry considering my Note 2 is better than my wife's 5s.