Your Note 4 impressions?

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I love the phone and I'm very happy I chose the Note 4 to replace my iPhone 5S. I'm going all android and never looking back. The problem is the battery life is really bad. So far I've been getting about 7.5 hours. Also, coming from the iPhone and TouchID, I'm disappointed with the fingerprint scanner.

That's one of the few things I have always admired about the iPhone - Ram management and battery life. Android just bites on battery management to one degree or another depending on phone vendor. Doesn't make me want an iPhone though.

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from an S3 so, yeah, big improvement. It came Thursday and Sprint's website must have been over powered because it wouldn't let me swap. But I was able to do it using the phone itself.

- Daaang, what screen clarity! I don't want to put a screen protector on it, afraid it will cloud or tint it!
- Battery life has been good. But I use Juice Defender to help with that.
- I have a Note 10.1 (N8013) tablet so am used to the pen. I think the pen on the Note 4 is more responsive, if that's the right word.
- I didn't like the idea of the missing menu button and was already hating it when several of my fave apps were not working because of this. But I researched and found I can long press that "recent apps" button and it does the old menu button behavior. Yay!
- "Wi-Fi calling" aka VOIP. Great for us since we live in the boonies and signals here at our house is difficult/impossible. Now friends can accidentally call me on the cell phone and I don't have to say "call the house number".
- A lot of useless (to me) bloatware that I cannot uninstall. I expected that as that stuff comes with everything now. I just made a folder in the app drawer and called it "Useless". Done.
- I hadn't thought about it until others mentioned it in this thread but yeah, the voice recording/recognition is much better. I use Dragon and I got her to send a text correctly the first time, to the correct person, on the first try.

Oh, and for someone who mentioned the wireless charging? I saw on the Samsung website that there's a replacement back cover you can get and a charging pad.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I also noticed that the speaker is on the back again. Bummer.

Bottom speakers would be decent.
100% deal breaker. Nexus 6/Z3(c or regular) or HTC One. Now they get it.

I don't use a ~stylus~ on phones. Have one for my SP3.

Close Samsung, but no buy here. Lollipop will be a disappointing mixture of material design and Gingerbread-era Touchwizadry.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
100% deal breaker. Nexus 6/Z3(c or regular) or HTC One. Now they get it.

I don't use a ~stylus~ on phones. Have one for my SP3.

Close Samsung, but no buy here. Lollipop will be a disappointing mixture of material design and Gingerbread-era Touchwizadry.
I really like TouchWiz or whatever the UI is called now. I personally think that it looks good. And it performs well on the Note 4.

Written from the mighty pen of my Samsung Galaxy Note 4!

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Noticed there was an early comment in this thread about the Galaxy Edge. I think that one is going to be a challenging marketing effort for Samsung. I am not sure that curved Edge across one long side like that really adds enough user functionality and appeal to make it a worthwhile tradeoff. Cases are going to be tough, screen protectors are going to be tough. I have not heard anything about that one making IP67 either but I think the accessory suppliers are going to drive themselves absolutely batty trying to make stuff for it. You can tell that even the so called expert reviewers on first contact with it don't really know what to do with it. You would think if anybody was going to get the "logic" of what Samsung is trying to do there it would be them.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The 2 main complaints I see about the Note 4 are the missing water protection and wireless charging. These aren't necessities for most people. If they decided to find some way to include them, you would most likely see pricing along the lines of the iPhone 6. However, I think the wireless charging back should have been made an option when ordering. Maybe give a bundled discount instead of adding it separately down the road.
Bottom line is, they can't add all of these extra features while keeping a $699 price point. Certain carriers in the past have offered wireless charging out of the box. I think it was the LG G2 on one of the carriers. Includes this instead of the headphones.

**Edited. I should have proofread earlier.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The 2 main complaints I see about the Note 4 are the missing water protection and wireless charging. These are necessities for most people. If they decided to find some way to include them, you would most likely see pricing along the lines of the iPhone 6. However, I think the wireless charging back. Oukd have been made an option when ordering. Maybe give a bundled discount instead of adding it separately down the road.
Bottom line is, they can't add all of these extra features while keeping a $699 price point. Certain carriers in the past have offered wireless charging out of the box. I think it was the LG G2 on one of the carriers. Includes this instead of the headphones.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I have also read these complaints. I don't share them. Even though there are people that want a waterproof phone, I don't really care for it. Those flaps kill me. And I wouldn't use a wireless charger anyway because I charge my phone in three places usually. I would want to have to pay the money to have three wireless charging docks or pads. Again, I know that some people like these things, but I don't care for them. I think my Note 4 is perfect.

Written from the mighty pen of my Samsung Galaxy Note 4!

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Much like having the phone supplier make an earphone choice for you "waterproof" sort of puts you in a box (pardon the pun) with regard to cases. Tough to find a case that will accommodate those flaps. I think regardless of their negatives, more people want to go with a protective case for shock and drop than not. Wireless charging is another one I think...again give me my money and I will decide how to spend it. Maybe the upside to VzW eliminating the earphones is that people get to see that nothing is really being thrown in that box for nothing. It all bears a cost of some sort.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I feel the same as some on here. I don't need a waterproof phone. I have gotten along for years without it. I see no need to have it now. Also. Stereo speakers are also not a necessity. I don't blast music or movies in public anyway and I think the look of the speakers on the front of the device look horrible. The note 4 is a awesome upgrade over the note 3 I had. I'm looking forward to receiving mine and selling my g3 on love verizon ships it.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
This phone boots FAST compared to my old Note 2 which i thought booted fairly quickly. Im thrilled with that.

Keep it up N4, i like finding these presents

Rocking the Note 4

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Coming from a year old LG Optimus G Pro which kind of looks simular from a distance but massively different up close, I'm loving my 4. Everything about it is amazing. So light to be this size. Better battery life even on max brightness where I like to keep it. Still trying to customize it and figure out all the settings.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
This phone boots FAST compared to my old Note 2 which i thought booted fairly quickly. Im thrilled with that.

Keep it up N4, i like finding these presents

Rocking the Note 4
But for me going from note 3 to the 4, the changes aren't as noticeable, at least for me.

Been thinking, next year unless the Note 5 is lightyears ahead than the note 4, I may hold onto the note 4 until the note 6 comes out

Side note, is it sad that we barely got the note 4. And I'm already talking note 5 AND 6? Lol

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from a S3 so it's a big upgrade for me. So far what I like best is the refined Touch Wiz, larger screen, bigger battery/battery life, fast charging and although I haven't used it yet the S Pen.

Supacat

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
One thing to remember is the Note Edge is all plastic with no metal casing if that bothers some.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance